YMCA of Midland
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 24s
Overall Rank = 51/90
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00, breakfast while stretching, load up and drive over to the venue. ~10 minutes. Hang around and visit with the other athletes till time to line up
Event warmup:

jogged ~1/2 mile about an hour before start. Swam 200 yds ~5 min before start.
Swim
  • 09m 18s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I talked to the girl in front of me and let her know that if I did manage to catch her I was going to practice drafting and did not want to pass. It took about 50 yards to settle down and relax into my rythim. after that it was a good tempo based swim. Fortunately I had pretty pace booty both in front of and behind me. :) I did catch her after ~400 yards and drafted the last 75 yards. great practice, and it's amazing how much easier it is. It really seemed like she slowed down dramatically when I got into her bubbles. ONly touched her foot once, but she had a strong kick and I could feel the kick without touching. The draft at the end was great because I got out not winded at all.
What would you do differently?:

Start my watch when I started. Concentrate on relaxing when I start.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

very quick T1. Unfortunately when I pulled my riding gloves out of my bento box after mounting the bike I dropped one and decided to ride back and get it.

be more careful when grabbing gloves. the actual transition was very good.
Bike
  • 44m 8s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 18.58 mile/hr

Perhaps take it out a little easier, and maybe taper off just a bit before T2
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good flying dismount. Found spot easily - I had a good landmark, and made a quick change. - race belt was already on. Socks went on well. I used the no top socks and they seem to go on pretty easy in spite of sweaty feet.

?
Run
  • 30m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile and a half my legs felt dead and I had no flexibility. I stopped at about 1/4 mile for 10 seconds to stretch just a bit. Walked 30 seconds at 5 minutes and 10 minutes. At about 1/5 miles caught Mike Greer, and visited with him for ~ .2 miles. Then I felt like I could pick it up and went up to tempo pace. Felt good and held it. Just before the third loop a girl passed me as we were going south into the wind which was starting to pick up. I dropped in right behind her and was pleased at the effect of the draft. Stuck there till we turned out of the wind. At about .5 mile remaining I picked up the pace again to .8 of sprint and held it to the finish line. Pace was just right and timing was just right. I'm very pleased with the time and overall pace. I grabbed water at the aide station each time and dumped it on my back. helped with keeping cool.

I wish I could have actually started running earlier. Perhaps backing off on the bike at the end would do it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked ~.2 miles back over to T1 and packed up stuff and loaded it in the car. Took a shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Speed work. - bricks of this length?

Event comments:

they had lots of fruit and water/gatoraide as well as Subway sandwiches at the awards ceremony and were ready almost as soon as the last racer finished. Very well organized timing. Course clearly marked. Fun race, and you have time to visit with the other athletes while you wait for your start.

Last updated: 2008-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:18 | 500 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 37/90
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Laps in a pool, cutting under rope after each 50 to move into next lane - zig zag across pool. Time trial type start with a racer starting every 30 seconds. - if you miss your time the clock starts for you anyway!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:08 | 13.67 miles | 18.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 51/90
time includes T1. I was real pleased with my pace, although it is possible that I pushed it just a bit hard. I passed my pace booty in transition - telling her good luck on the ride! She passed me after a 1/2 mile and although she didn't just leave me, it was apparent that I was not going to keep up with her. I didn't actually loose her totally till the turn around. Although I didn't pass anyone, only three riders passed me. Thats real good for me, and my speed hovered between 18 and 22 - mostly. max 23
Wind: Little
Course: out and back mostly on a loop frontage road. Great support by the local police who had traffic stopped at all the 'major' intersections. Mostly very little traffic. mostly very flat with a couple minor rises. We lucked out and only had a little wind out of the south - with most of the course laid out East/west.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:36 | 03.11 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 59/90
Time includes T2
Course: zig zag from pool over to park. Three loops around park some on smooth dirt path, some on pavement. all in park - no traffic
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-03 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: Tall City Triathlon

2008-08-03 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1578898

Expert
Fort Bragg
Subject: RE: Tall City Triathlon
Good job getting out there and going for it. Great swim!
2008-08-03 7:52 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Nice job out there--pace booty and all! Did you get a BSLT slot for next year out of Mike Greer??  Good job out there and good practice for IMFL!
2008-08-03 8:02 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Great race!  Next time skip the gloves for a Sprint, it's one less thing to worry about.  Nice drafting in the pool too ;O.

Are you going to be at Socorro next weekend?  If so, I'll see you there.
2008-08-04 3:03 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Fantastic job! Congrats! Great drafting practice, and hey YOU HAD A SWIM SPRITE!!!!! Still, you passed her for an overall speedy swim.

Flying dismount? Yeeeehah ... one day I may attempt even practicing them.

Great work on the run, even with the stretching, still good speed.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tall City Triathlon Rss Feed