Virginia Triathlon Series, Set-Up Inc.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 15s
Overall Rank = 295/338
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 42/50
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night with wife/kids at a friends house that lived a bit closer to the event. Woke up at 4:30 and drove down to the site.

Event warmup:

Swam around a bit in the lake, chased kids around the playground.
Swim
  • 28m 3s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well, this was the whole reason I signed up for this event. I wanted to see how an OWS worked.

LOL, was a pretty pathetic effort. I was faster than a bunch of people around me to start with but I kept running into people and didn't really know what to do. Then I just started to get completely winded.

Hung on the first boat I came to which was at the first buoy. Then I started again, and was having the worst time breathing, sounded like I had just smoked a carton of cigarettes. Switched to back stroke, back float, whatever I could do to make it. I was, very, very, very close to quitting when I realized that I had so much further to go. Swam to the next boat.

By this time I had at least 3 or 4 waves swim by me, was very discouraging. rounded the last buoy, kept switching between backstroke and freestyle, probably more back floating than really backstroke.

Finally made it out of the water, pretty much dead on my feet. Was at least nice to see wife and kids cheering for me.

I guess I did at least meet my goal, I didn't drown, so techincally this whole event was a success because I am here typing this report.
What would you do differently?:

Need to get out in Open water more. This was the 2nd time I had ever tried to swim not in a pool. Felt like I just wasn't as bouyant in the lake as I am in a pool where this distance is no problem for me.

Also need to get comfortable swimming around people and deal with the jostling in the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Was so dead from the swim, just walked to my bike, took my time, had to walk bike up a hill to get out of transition.

not suck so much on the swim.
Bike
  • 59m 29s
  • 17 miles
  • 17.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Again from the swim just couldn't get my act together, I have never been passed by so many people in any race. Legs just wern't responding.

Just not a good day all around.

Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Just walked

not suck so much on the swim
Run
  • 30m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off running through the grass then right to an up hill. My calves completly froze up which hasn't happened before.

First lap was 11 something, then about 1/2 way through 2nd mile legs started opening up, so that was 10ish, last mile was about 8:30, too little too late

Post race
Warm down:

Met wife and kids at finish line, had some water and laid on the hill for a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Going to figure out how to swim in Open water so I am not so dead after the swim.

Event comments:

I need to keep reminding myself this race was purely to get some OWS in.

Still a bit frustrating once I did get the swim in to be so completely tired after it. Funny how things change, 2nd in AG (much smaller event) last week and almost dead last in AG this week.

Going to get in as much Open water swimming as I can before Int'l in November.

Last updated: 2008-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:03 | 750 meters | 03m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 46/50
Overall: 332/338
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri shorts and tri top
Course: Sort of rectangular course around the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:29 | 17 miles | 17.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/50
Overall: 228/338
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills, seemed to be more ups than downs.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:56 | 03.11 miles | 09m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/50
Overall: 287/338
Course: Running on road, somewhat hilly
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-03 7:29 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Culpepper Sprint

2008-08-03 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1579049

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Culpepper Sprint
Good job on getting that first open water swim done.  It's always the hardest.  You didn't quit and made it through and you'll have a much easier time after this.  Lots of practice will help with the breathing problems.  I try to breathe every 3 strokes whether I think I need it or not and that has really helped.  Let me know if you want any other tips for OWS. 
2008-08-04 8:47 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

Nice job out there yesterday.  You and I were probably in proximity on that swim.  I hate getting run over by the pink caps, then the green caps, etc... 

The best part is that you HTFUed and got through that swim.  Doesn't matter how long it took... that will come with practice and experience.  Great job! 

2008-08-04 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Good for you for hanging in there!

When I first started, I sucked at OWS, and I quit a few of the first tri's I did because I just couldn't get through them. And I'm a decent swimmer. In a pool.

Anyway, it comes. I'm perfectly happy in the open water and sometimes swim faster there than I do in the pool. And I never practice open water swims! There simply isn't much of the opportunity for me. (I do hope to before IMFL just so I can practice with a wetsuit.) But what really helped me was counting. First, as part of my warmup, I would just tread or float in the deeper part of the water and get "comfortable." Then, when the race started, I would count in my head 5 freestyle strokes, then switch to breast stroke for 5, then 7 freestyle stroke, breast stroke, 10 freestyle, etc. By the time I would get to 30 strokes (don't forget to site), I was usually in a good rhythm and didn't need to switch to breast stroke. I think it helped build my confidence.

So, there's one tip of many I'm sure you'll get.

2008-08-04 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Hey man, you did it!  That is a great accomplishment!!  It is amazing how much energy fear and anxiety can suck out of you.  But you stuck it out and finished, which is more than most.  Great Job. You should feel proud of yourself.  Every race is a learning experience and think how much you have grown from this.  Besides, your bike and run weren't that bad, even though I'm sure it felt like the day would never end. 

Besides, you found an ows training location and partner, so something wonderfully good came out of this. Keep smiling.  

2008-08-05 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia

Consider yourself lucky on the swim, you beat my swim time by 16 seconds Smile

See my race report
here

2008-08-19 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Enjoyed reading the report.  I will probably be doing the two in Culpeper next year.  I had hoped to go over and at least watch the event, but I had to leave town.  I think I saw a buoy as I was driving 29S... was as close as I got.   Sounds like finding some open water might be worthwhile for practice. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Culpepper Sprint Rss Feed