General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low Carb and Exercise Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-03 11:36 AM

Regular
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: Low Carb and Exercise
Hi, new person here. I am a 37 year old female and I have a lofty goal of doing a sprint tri possibly in May but if not then perhaps in August. I am coming to exercise from being sedentary. My friend and I have started walking 3 mornings a week and I plan to start weight training on the machines at the YMCA. My friend does not want to do the triathlon so a lot of my training I will do by myself. I am 5'11' 216 pounds hoping to lose weight to a goal of 165 pounds. I am most likely crazy to even think I could do this but it intrigues me.

Anyway, my question is regarding starting an exercise program and doing low carb at the same time. I am starting Atkins and I have heard that low energy can be a problem. I have low energy already and don't want to sabotage my exercise efforts. Any other better diet that might work for a beginner exerciser (with delusions of a sprint tri? :-) Thanks!!

2005-02-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: #112060

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: Low Carb and Exercise
Hey there. I'm most certainly not an expert, but I'd have to say my opinion on this is to stay away from the Atkins, or any "low-carb" diet. I think the keyword is "diet". Think about just eating balanced, healthy, whole foods - no junk. You might not see results as fast but I bet they'll last longer and you'd be healthier for it! Make it a lifestyle change, not a diet. A diet is something you have to "stick to", a lifestyle, well you just live it. I know ATkins has worked for some, but I don't think you'll get the energy you need from it. Just my 2-cents for whatever its worth....
2005-02-03 11:56 AM

NH
I definitely would not recommend the low-carb approach. Your body relies much too heavily on burning carbs when you exercise, and needs carbs present in order to burn fat.
You should be sure to eat a well-rounded diet of carbohydrates, protein, and "good" fats(nuts, seeds, olive oil...), with plenty of fruits and vegetables. As long as you create a calorie-deficit for yourself each day(burn more calories than you consume), you will lose weight. I am not sure what your resting metabolic rate is(the number of calories you burn while sedentary), therefore I'm not sure of a calorie range you should be aiming for. There are many websites that offer calculations for this, or speaking with a nutritionist would be very beneficial. :-)
2005-02-03 1:08 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Hi and congrats on starting your weight loss efforts! A sprint tri is an awesome goal to have set for yourself...stay positive and work hard and you can definitely do it. For the eating, I'd say avoid Atkins and any of the other fad diets and instead see a registered nutritionist for help with an initial assessment and meal planning, and read some of the healthy eating threads on here...the important thing is to make a sustainable life change in order to keep the weight off. Small meals frequently throughout the day, replace white breads & pastas with whole wheat, more fruits and veggies. Keeping a daily food journal of what I'm actually eating was a real eye-opener for me, to see exactly what and in what quantites I'm eating. Start to read nutrition labels in the stores...just becoming more aware of what you're putting in your body is a great way to start.

Since you mentioned weights at the YMCA: if you already belong to the Y, or are about to join, they're doing a national program right now called Activate. You sign up and are assigned to a coach and a group of people at about your level of fitness. Your coach helps you plan a workout schedule that is right for you, that will prevent injury and help you reach your goals, and your group may provide a workout partner. My coach also did an initial fitness assessment, bodyfat composition, that sort of thing to kind of get an idea of where I'm starting out, but I don't know if that's part of the national plan or what. We also talk about nutrition some...the idea is to get people into a healthy, sustainable plan for life. Again I don't know if this is national or just the policy at my local Y, but it's free with my membership fee.

Other things...don't focus on the scale, focus on your fitness level....can you do more of what you want and more easily than you could before? That's the real goal. Go to a running store and get good shoes, if you haven't already, to save yourself some pain. Stay positive.

Sorry if that wanders away from your original post...I'm bored at work and have been in your shoes recently enough to remember it and the good advice I got.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
2005-02-03 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Wisconsin
Hello and welcome! Congrats on making the choice for a healthier lifestyle--you've made the first step by joining this great community.
I am fairly new here myself and have found the information I gain here invaluable--wonderful people and advice.
As for the low carb thing--I'm no expert either, but I did try the whole low carb thing last year while exercising and could not maintain any sort of fitness level--I was far too exhausted from just normal every day things--couldn't imaging running or swimming or biking. All of the above advice given is great--balanced diet is key. Talk to a nutritionist--check out the Y...who knows? But for sure---keep the carbs, just moderate!
Best of luck. Looking forward to hearing of your progress.
Again--welcome!
2005-02-03 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
i tried south beach diet and tri training and bonked every work out...it sucked.

now i eat balanced and try to stay away from the crap....and have the energy to do what I want!

good luck!

2005-02-03 5:11 PM

I agree with all that has been said. Instead of trying some low-carb diet or some crazy scheme. Just put healthy foods into your body. You want to feed your body plenty of healthy foods which include a balance of carbs/fats/proteins. There is no substitute for good healthy eating.
2005-02-04 5:41 AM

User image

Veteran
London, UK

I also agree with all of the above, in particular that your diet should be the way you will eat for the rest of your life, small lifestyle changes, not something you're going to do for a while and then slip back into bad habits.  If you're exercising you should give your body the kinds of food it'll want and need to keep going, a diet which is predominantly fruit, veg, whole grains, pasta, cereals, with some fish, lean meat and dairy.  I don't think low carb is going to be beneficial.  I don't know how much you're restricted to on the Atkins Diet but (at just under 130 lbs) I find I need about 350-400g of carbohydrate a day to have enough energy to train well. 

I really liked Chris Carmichael's Food for Fitness book - following his suggestions has definitely paid off for me in terms of increased energy and (solely because I have more energy to train and so do more) also weight loss.  See also Gordo - http://www.byrn.org/gtips/n101.htm - who has, I think, a slightly more Paleo Diet approach but still puts some emphasis on the need to have carbohydrate when training. 

I hope that's helpful.  Good luck with your training and let us know which tri you sign up for.

2005-02-05 8:39 PM

I can see what everyone is saying, but I've been on Atkins for 13 months and I've lost 40-45 lbs. I was running about 2 miles 4-5 times a week, never any more. Now I have a goal of an Olympic Tri in 6 months. I did my first 5K this month and I'm training for a 10K in 2 months. I've been at the same weight for 6-7 months now. I want to add carbs but its tough to give up Atkins after it helped me so much. But I also know that my current training routine could be tough without adding carbs. (3-4xs run, 2x cycle, 2x swim, 2x weights per week)
2005-02-10 10:43 AM

Regular
Show Low, Arizona
I was on Atkins last year and lost about 25 lbs in a month. Didn't really affect my workouts, but the recovery time was definately a lot longer. I still "watch" the carbs, but try to eat a balanced diet. Having underactive thyroid has put a damper on my weight loss efforts, still trying to get the meds and herbal supplements dialed in.

Good luck - You CAN do it!!

Mary
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I may never finish 1st or make it to Kona, but I’m proud of the fact that I had the courage to begin my journey.
2005-02-13 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
My first piece of advice would be to read more about diets besides Atkins. Atkins had *part* of the puzzle, but only part. They sort of missed the boat on the difference between fats and healthy fats and the difference between junk carbs and healthy carbs. People's perception of Atkins as "it's okay to eat pork rinds and liverwurst" is a bit skewed. Do Atkins only if you can do it with a Zone twist.

So read The Zone diet by Barry Sears, and read every single page at http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html(especially Eating 101) and read about Glycemic Index Diets. I also think it would be very, very helpful for you to read Body for Life by Bill Phillips. Your goal here isn't to have slavish devotion to a Diet Guru, but to learn approrpriate fueling techniques for owners of Human Bodies. You have from your next snack until the day you die to work out all the details.

By the way, I think I'm coming across here as "low carb" because I did a Zone-like diet, but it really wasn't low carb in that most of my calories come from carbs. It's more like a strong emphasis on watching carbs just because they are too likely to blow my calorie budget unless I keep them under tight control. Your Mileage May Vary, but I find that I have lots of energy on that program: in fact, that's how I figured out how to fuel myself: my Way of Eating has to leave me sated, energetic and yet be within the calorie budget I set for myself. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it to come out right, but I get lots of practice since I eat several meals a day. :-)

As for the training plans, you sound like you're at a beginner level and jumping straight to advanced. That isn't necessarily a good way to succeed: much better would be to build towards intermediate goals. Maybe running a 5K is a first step, then the following year you train for a tri. I think it's useful to have training goals and I don't want to dissuade you, but just put some intermediate ones in there. There is a fantastic "couch to 5K" training programs at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

In any case, welcome to the world of Amazing Transformations. I started at the age of 38 in May, 2002 weighing in at 244 as a 5'6" woman with about 42% body fat. Today I'm 40, weigh 168 at 24% body fat, and I ran two road races last year. I like triathlon training because it has cross-training and joint support built into it. I'm good at just showing up and moving my body - I'll never win any races, not even in my age group, and Triathlon appears to be pretty tolerant of that mindset: it's okay just to show up and Tri. :-)

Gwendal

2005-02-14 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

Tootall,

I agree with what's been said against Atkinks.  If you are concerned about the effect of empty carbs on your body, I'd reccomend South Beach Diet.  I'm not a big fan of following a diet strictly, but I think South Beach does a good job of illustrating the difference between healthy carbs full of nutrients and the empty over-processed stuff.

In terms of if you would be able to do a triathlon this season- I say "go for it."  Last year I was 254 pounds and hadn't had regular exercise in years.  I started watching what I ate in January and in May I saw a notice about a super-sprint triathlon to be held in September.  I figured that in 4 months I'd be able to be in good enough shape to complete the swim (250 yds) and bike (6 miles) portions and told myself that the run (2 miles) could be walked.  Well, I ended up finding another super-sprint tri in my area only 7 weeks into my training and I sucked up my courage and signed up.  Sure, I was really, really slow, but I had a great time.

One of the things I really like about training for a tri is the cross-training that you do.  Because of my size I was concerned about getting a running injury.  Last year I spent most of my time on a treadmill, figuring that it would be kinder on my joints.  It's only been in the last couple of weeks that I've been able to get outside and see how much more I enjoy running outdoors.

I think much of the trick of being able to do a tri is learning how to pace your body so that you can last through all 3 events.  In the fall I started using a heart rate monitor and I've found that by slowing down I'm able to last so much longer.  Last weekend I went on an 8 mile run- something I  never really thought I'd be able to do.

So, 9 months after getting this tri idea in my head I"m still fat and slow.  But I'm 46 pounds less fat and I can go slow and long.  I'm not going to complain about that!  Last August I watched the olympic tri my town does every year and I just kept telling myself, "with lots of hard work, I could be out here doing this next year!"

Have you found any local races to work toward?  Let us know how it goes for you.

Debi

2005-02-16 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Hi: I am not expert but I followed South Beach for a couple months before training for a marathon. I like the diet but I tried to keep up while training but needless to say I couldnt. Carbs are the fuel for your body. When you go into low carb diet and excercise the body goes into emergency mode. I was feeling tired all the time, my workouts were slow and I had no energy. I added more good carbs and everything changed. I decided to eat healthy (multy grain breads and pasta, no sugars, fruits, vegetables and healthy protein) while I am training. What a difference!

Edited by clflgrl 2005-02-16 2:43 PM
2005-03-16 4:50 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Well heres my 2 cents on the issue. I agree with most of what everyone said. When training your body uses carbs/glucose as a fuel source. this is the most efficent source of energy for our body. So cutting carbs out of the diet is not going to help your training. Also, through my research, most people who try this high protein/high fat diets end up gaining all the weight back most of time. Plus a high fat diet is just not healthy for you. I would suggest going to yahoo or some other search engine, typing in resting metabolic rate and finding out that first. Then take a percentage of that 30% for desk jobs, 40-45% for being a little more active and almost 70-75% for construction jobs. as calories burned during activities of daily living. Then try to figure out what your exercise calorie burning is. Subject about 500 calories/day and you will lose about 1lb per week. Also, you can use a program to track your calories so that you know how much you are taking in. I like fitday.com. While this is all a guesstamet, it is better than nothing. Just eat healthy and be smart. Good luck. See you at a tri soon.
2005-03-17 7:59 AM
in reply to: #113229

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
Subject: Second that...
When I started doing tri's two years ago I was about 226 and the working out alone my first year got me to 215 then I put the weight back on then I decided to try Atkins/South Beach (I took a little bit of both and combined it) and got down to 196-197 for last summer's tri's!

I didn't feel that it affected my workouts in a negative way - if anything the lighter weight made my workouts easier! And I did great at each of my races!

That said - I think Atkins is a great diet/lifestyle for those of us that have been diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome/Syndrome X/Insulin Resistance/Future Type 2 Diabetic. After years of eating complex carbs and tons of sugar our insulin remains elevated and our body automatically stores most carbs as fat! Atkins/South Beach reprograms our body to use carbs the way they're supposed to be and it also teaches you to eat the right amount/type of carbs. Eventually you are eating a healthy amount of carbs!

So I feel that atkins seems to work better for some people and not as well for others - worked great for me!

Good luck - this sport is a ton of fun and full of great people!
2005-03-17 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
San Jose, CA
Tootall , Great going ! Good luck with your tri-goal .
I would have to agree with most of what everyone says on this thread.

I'm a tri-newbie myself . Although , have been running and biking a bit for a while
(have done a 10k and a 12k and a 7k event) with my weight averaging around 215-220 lbs ( height: 5' 10" ). So, not exactly the "ideal" physique for a demanding sport like running/triathlon .

Recently, have gotten onto the Weightwatchers diet (http://www.weightwatchers.com) and personally think its a very balanced concept since it doesn't force you to eat excess of anything apart from being a low-cal,low-fat centric diet. Now, am not trying to convince you that WW is better than Atkins/South Beach since I know the effort it takes to start a diet

However, having said that , have had a very good record of weight loss with this diet ... losing approx. 25 lbs in a little more than 8 weeks . Factor in a week long vacation in Maui
I've been earnestly training i.e. swimming essentially , for the last two weeks and have not had any low-energy issues and have been able to push myself on my workouts.

IMHO, I think WW is a balanced diet with its focus on veggies,fruits,dairy & water consumption that can probably work for endurance training ... and you have bonus points to splurge if need be on a Cold Stone Creamery creation

2005-03-19 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Salem, MA
Weight Watchers is a really sound, healthy eating plan that fits into real life and can be continued indefinitely. It ansures that you get a good range of all the nutrients you need, and is very effective when followed. Some recent studies comparing WW with Atkins have showed faster initial weight loss with Atkins, but after a year of adherence, the results are the same or slightly in favor of WW. It is just much easier to live with over the long term.

I hope the current versions of WW are emphasizing the superiority of whole-grain, high-fiber carbohydrates (whole grian cereal, bread, pasta) over processed carbohydrates (white rice, white bread, bagels, processed cereals). I am starting to believe that it's not how much, but what kind, of carbohydrates a person takes in that determine weight loss/gain and energy level. That's just based on the success of my own change toward that in my training diet,t hough.
2005-03-20 9:14 PM

Richmond, Tx
I did a modified version of Atkins while training for my first tri. I lost 26 lbs and did well in my race. I do not agree with the fat intake of Atkins nor did I stop veggies and fruits. What I did was cut out the sweets, bread, pasta and rice. The night before a big workout or race I will have a small portion of pasta (works for me). So Atkins to the letter is not goood for training but take some of the basics and modify it to your personal situation and you should do just fine.
2005-03-28 1:31 PM

Hi...I just wanted to add my 2 cents on Atkins. I think when people hear the words "low carb" they think you're eating nothing but bacon, steak, eggs, and cheese. It's just not so. I have been following a relatively low carb approach for over 3 years now. I eat plenty of veggies, fruits, and whole grains. I added whole grains back in recently, but it can be done. I don't eat WHITE SUGAR, FLOUR OR POTATOES. That's it. I think that low carb works because it causes your body to burn your "stored energy," shortly after you've used up your carbs. Studies have been proven to show that your fat storage supply is just as useful as freshly ingested carbs. Your body has to use up the carbs first, then it goes to the stored fat. In this way, unless you are working out at a very high rate, your body is going to have to use the carbs first. If you eat too many, the stored fat will never get used, and you will see a very slow weight loss..if any. If you are not burning the calories from the carbs daily, as well, this will cause your insulin to spike, which will cause other problems. Low carb isn't just about weight loss--it can erradicate a whole myriad of health issues ranging from diabetes, to hypoglycemia. I exercise regularly, and never feel fatigued because I didn't down some Gatorade or power bar (nothing but sugar...not even healthy for you, by the way!!) No offense to those who eat those things before/during their workouts, but it's nothing but empty carbs. Power drinks, unless they are protein, whole food based, are not very effective energy sources. GNC just wants to make you think they are. haha

I think that the myths of Atkins and other low carb "diets" should be expelled. Low carb is healthy, so long as you eat GOOD carbs like veggies and fruits. Throw in a slice of wheat bread that is high in fiber, and you're good to go. I think that most athletes stay away from low carb because they need more carbs than the average bear. They don't have much "stored energy" to begin with. (body fat)

Just eat a well balanced, high fiber, diet, and you'll be ok. But, it's nice to have steak and bacon now and then, too, because afterall......"it's allowed!" :=)
Good luck! I hope you reach your tri-goals!

Sharon
2005-03-28 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
I've been watching this thread and not commenting. BUT I just have to put my 2 cents worth in.

There is no magic to weight loss It really is a matter of Calories in < calories out to lose weight. The magic is in keeping it off. That's where triathloning really helps!

I've lost weight on WW, diabetic, SB, and now a nutritionist guideline. I gained it all back both on WW and Diabetic because I got bored and started back to old bad eating habits. SB helped me lose 38 pounds last year, but I had plateaued when I started training for my first tri. I got some advice from a nutritionist and find that diet much more workable.

The problem with diets like SB and Atkins is that the source of energy is too slow for long, hard workouts. You just don't have the readily available energy source (carbs) to keep the muscles going. It's not that it can't be done, as many of you have said. It is just that it is much harder than it needs to be. I can definitely tell the difference in my workouts if I haven't had a small hit of carbs 1-2 hours before hand.

If SB or Atkins works for you, by all means go for it. I just suggest that you have some whole grain crackers or an apple with PB a couple of hours before any workout 30 min or greater.
2005-04-04 10:19 PM

Could anyone recomend a simple training diet? I work in a restaurant so it will be easy for me to atain the essentials.

Thanks,
Adrian

2005-04-05 9:17 AM
in reply to: #138029

low carb, I'm assuming?

*breakfast could be low carb cereal (Keto brand is the best) with some fruit
or hard boiled eggs (2)

*lunch could be grilled chicken on bed of greens, with cucumbers, and some cheese on top
*lunch could be cold cuts rolled up, with a few slices of fruit
*low carb wheat bread is good too...I don't think you should not eat whole grains, even in beginning stages of low carbing. You'll still lose the weight.

*dinner--chicken and veggies (steamed)
*dinner--shrimp on skewers with roasted veggies
*dinner--eggplant rolled with ricotta cheese inside, and baked with a little parm cheese on the top
*dinner--just stay away from your white breads, sugars and potatoes, and you'll do great!

*snacks--walnuts, low sugar peanut butter on a whole wheat wrap, apple slices, or almonds are good snacks. Tofu makes a good snack if you mix it up in a blender with some fruit. Lots of protein!

The key to the success of low carbing is watching your overall calorie intake too, daily. Some low carbers think you can eat whatever you want, so long as it's low carb. Not so...you need to still hover around the 1500-2000 calorie mark, depending on your workouts, and your gender.

Good luck!
2005-04-05 10:05 AM
in reply to: #138029

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
If you want a non-lo carb, here's what my nutritionist suggested and what I'm following
(give or take )

B: light yogurt (I use Dannon lo carb), 1/2 c. high fiber cereal, Tomato juice, water, coffee
S: veggies or a piece of fruit
L: turkey sandwich or salad with meat on itBreakfast:
1. Choose a "light" yogurt that is about 90 calories or a plain, low fat yogurt
1/2 cup high fiber cereal
Tomato juice, coffee
Large glass of water- you need to stay well hydrated to perform your best

2. 1 cup cooked old fashion oatmeal- add splenda/ equal or a small amount of honey
1 cup berries, skim milk
vegetable juice, water

3. eggwhite omlete with "free" vegetables & low fat cheese
1/2 grapefruit
1 slice of whole-wheat bread

Snack: 1 serving of fruit (small apple, pear, cup berries)

Lunch:
1. Turkey sandwich on whole-wheat bread, extra vegetables and mustard/ hot pepper sauce
raw carrots with low fat or fat-free ranch dip or humus
Low fat pudding cup (80 calories) instead of the empty calorie cookies

2. Large salad with 2-3 oz of lean protein- tuna/ grilled chicken/ turkey/ low fat cheese + beans (chick peas, black beans, kidney beans)
+ light yogurt with some high fiber cereal in it. Reduce fat vinegrette-style dressing

Snack: 1. part-skim string cheese + melon
2. Whole-wheat crackers (Ak Mak) or 1/2 whole wheat pita bread + all natural peanut butter or humus
3. Apple + all-natural peanut butter

Dinner:
4oz of lean protein + Extra "free" vegetables +
Carbohydrate: 1. Small-medium baked yam with I can't believe it's not butter spray
2. Brown rice & bean mixture- 1 cup
3. Butternut squash- 2 cups
4. Whole-wheat pasta- 1 cup
5. Corn & peas- 1 cup
+ 8-10oz of skim or 1% milk

Snack: Fugicle or fruit or sugar-free jello (this is essentially a free food) or light yogurt or fruit + 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese.

She also provided a word document with more information. I've attached it here.

Attachments
----------------
2004_Size_Does_Matter1.doc (100KB - 118 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low Carb and Exercise Rss Feed