Hartford Marathon Foundation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 34s
Overall Rank = 88/401
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, showered, ate a bagel and had some coffee. Then got into my car and headed to the race. Parking was 1/2 mile away, maybe more. Good walk into the venue.
Event warmup:

I got into the water swam around a bit, floated, and then waited. I felt very comfortable in the water.
Swim
  • 15m 30s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was some what timid. I tried to draft and was doing well, didnt sight for a bit looked and saw no one in front of me, up to this point I was in the middle of the pack, I had to swim back a considerable distance to get on course (150+yards?) and rejoin who I could. From this point on I was swimming neck and neck with some guy and we kept accidentally bumping.

Good swim in, I saw maybe a total of 3 jellyfish, all on the way in
What would you do differently?:

Sight better, not be so timid.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Long run from the beach, up a hill, across a field and then down into transition. Given the distance it was very quick. I love my wetsuit, it takes virtually no effort to remove.

Take a few seconds to make sure my Garmin was all set.
Bike
  • 34m 26s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I was surprised by the course. I thought it would be flatter, but the hills apparently played to my strengths. On the second hill when I was passing people I thought that maybe I was pushing to hard and that they would pull me at the crest of the hill. It never happened. I would pass people on the hills and just drop them.

Until I dropped my chain. It was on the biggest downhill. I was switching to a harder gear and the chain popped off towards my shoe. I actually got tangled in it, and was unable to move my foot at first. I got my foot loose, but the crank was now jammed. I coasted for a very long time, and eventually stopped and worked on getting the chain back on. It was jammed on the derailurer, I got frustrated and kicked it, which did nothing. Somehow I got it back on. I think I lost about 2minutes.

I ended up repassing most of the people that passed me while I was fixing my bike.

Not lose my chain.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Coming into T2, a guy wiped out in front of me. I was only half out at the time and went down as well so that I didnt run over his head. I was right back up and running. Cut my hand and ran with it bleeding. Honestly if the fall slowed me down it was for 10seconds.

Not wipeout on the downhill dismount.
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I would blow up on the run and that I was going out to fast. Instead I ran one of my best runs ever. When I was checking my pace I always saw it between 7:15-7:45min/mile. I guess I didnt check to often. I hated the run on the beach, I got passed. I got passed at the start of the run by a few people, and then eventually was able to catch up to some others. I ran with Trigirl069, who took 7th overall female and 2nd in her AG.

Push a bit more? I wasnt that tired afterwards.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a Popsicle, took off my shoes and went out into the water. Ocean felt awesome. Not sure what they had for food, I saw watermelon and some anti-pasta bean salad thing. I grabbed some watermelon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Drinking on Friday? My chain falling off. Lack of OWS experience. Overall I did great.

Event comments:

Definitely racing again next year. I really really enjoyed myself today. There should have been more volunteers on the bike course. A few times I had no idea if I was supposed to turn or not. Apparently I stayed on course, it could have been better marked.

Honestly I did awesome and I am really happy with my performance. It was a good venue.

Last updated: 2008-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:30 | 880 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 140/401
Performance: Good
Suit: De Soto T1
Course: Large 'U' shape form one beach out around a point and back in to a different beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:26 | 12 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 72/401
Left in run mode. No good data.
Wind: Little
Course: It was a fast course I thought. A few good sized hills, only once did I have to get out of my saddle, and that was only at the top of the hill. There were some pretty hard turns, that I did have to slow way down for, apparently someone hit a guardrail and went over.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:44 | 03.5 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 99/401
No good data.
Course: Flatish, some small hills, a small trail run with a finish on the beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %.25
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 8:57 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Niantic Bay Triathlon

2008-08-04 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1579641

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Niantic Bay Triathlon
Nice race. Sorry to hear about the wipe-out, but it looks like you recovered really quickly. I was surprised by the bike hills as well! Thanks for the pre-race info you gave me.
2008-08-04 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Great job Aaron...given you had some issues you rocked your bike split still and glad you ran better than you felt you would.

Nice of you to not run over the guy's head who fell even if it meant you took a little tumble..being kind is so much better. Hope you are okay today still from the tumble.

I'm glad to see you raced strong and enjoyed yourself out there!

Congrats on super race 

2008-08-05 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY

Dude, you've got wheels!

Losing two minutes on the bike and still throwing up just shy of 21mph is motoring, and that run was a blistering pace. Way to push yourself.

It seemed like you relaxed and had fun during the race, too. Can't beat a great day like that.
2009-07-14 3:00 PM

Really enjoyed your report.  I am a newb and have never run one.  Can't wait.  You mentioned a wetsuit you loved, care to pass on make/model?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Niantic Bay Triathlon Rss Feed