Hartford Marathon Foundation
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 59s
Overall Rank = 164/401
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5. Since I was in a hotel I had a different pre-race breakfast, a half bagel with peanut butter, half a bottled Starbucks Frappucino (caffeine was critical) and 24 ounces of diluted Gatorade Endurance. I later had a GU before the swim warm-up.
Event warmup:

Did a nice 10-15 minute swim. The water was warm so it didn't take much getting used to. There were huge sections of some type of grass/seaweed that was challenging to swim through so I spent most of the warm-up trying to get over that.
Swim
  • 17m 47s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my third tri and only my second real race swim since my first was a total bust. The running start was great and it only took me a 100y or so to get into a nice rhythm. I didn't avoid the other swimmers as much this time and drafted a little here and there. My sighting was good except for one point where I veered a little far to the left. There were strong jellyfish warnings and I saw a few, but only had minor contact with one right at the start in the shallows. Otherwise, I swam over them and they kept their distance.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a really great swim both from an enjoyment and performance (for me) standpoint. I just need to keep swimming so I can get a little faster.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

There was a slightly long run up the beach (150-200y or so maybe) and a steep paved path to transition, but my time was still very slow. I have video of my swim exit and I look to be moving really quickly so I think I need to work on my actual time in transition to speed it up. I skipped the socks this time, which helped a bit, but can definitely do more.

Start practicing my transition to make it more efficient.
Bike
  • 37m 40s
  • 11.3 miles
  • 18.00 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike slipped a bit as I ran across the timing mat out of transition and my computer mount sliced my right knuckle. I didn't feel it, but looked down as I started the first mile and my hand was covered in blood. I slowed and tried to rinse it with my water bottle, but had to grab it with my left hand and was having a really hard time. I lost a lot of momentum and was slow for the first mile or so. I finally gave up and just started riding. It bled the entire ride and was dripping off and blowing in the wind at times. My right shifter was all sticky from my palm being bloody. After the race I got to clean it up and I basically just shaved a layer of skin off the knuckle, but for some reason it just wouldn't stop bleeding.

Once I got going I feel like I rode fairly well, but I could always do better. The course was supposed to be 12 miles, but the consensus is that it was approximately 11.3 miles based on what our computers said.

Since it was on open roads, we had to ride single file except for passing. There was really great support and the course was nice.

Not cut my finger trying to dash to the bike mount line! Just need to keep riding, I've improved tremendously this year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Good transition, I got my shoes on quickly, switched the helmet for a visor and took off.

Ditch the socks. I didn't wear them for the ride, but haven't trained without them for the run and really need to do this. I won't save tons of time, but I'm thinking I lost 10-15 seconds on this.
Run
  • 24m 55s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Since there were no mile markers, I thought I was running kind of slow again. At the turnaround I thought we might be half-way, but someone said we were much further so I realized I actually had a good pace going. The finish was on sand, first along a sandy path, then on the actual beach. It was really hard to run in loose sand at the end of the race, but it was a beautiful finish.

This was another record time for me. I have never averaged a pace in the low 7s so I was absolutely thrilled with my time. I seem to do my best running during triathlons.

Nothing. This was perfect for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, just walked around, had a popsicle right at the finish, and then some of the post-race food (which was quite good). I went to the medic to get some alcohol for my hand, packed up and headed back to the hotel so I could get out for a lobster lunch as quickly as possible!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cut slowed me a bit on the bike, but not much. Overall, I feel like I performed my best given my abilities right now. I was really happy with the race.

Event comments:

I think this was a really well-organized race on a beautiful course. Even though the drive is not much fun from NYC, I'd like to make this an annual one. I had a really great time.

Last updated: 2008-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:47 | 880 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/21
Overall: 259/401
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: Point to point course shaped like an inverted V. There was a beach start. Well marked and easy to navigate.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:40 | 11.3 miles | 18.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/21
Overall: 190/401
Wind: Little
Course: Nice course with rolling hills and a couple steep climbs. Roads were open to traffic, but every intersection and course turn had at least 2 volunteers and police support was great.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:55 | 03.4 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/21
Overall: 141/401
Course: Nice flat course through neighborhood streets and along the water.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Niantic Bay Triathlon

2008-08-04 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1579670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Niantic Bay Triathlon
Congrats on yet another great race! You know if you keep this up we might have to sabbotage you Miss great race everytime Your run was unbelievable you are improving to quickly from race to race -that's just awesome. SO what's next???
2008-08-04 12:48 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
Nice race. I think you flew by me on the run. Great job!!
2008-08-04 9:08 PM

User image

Elite
Great race. Glad the jellyfish left you alone for the most part. Any word on that kid who hit the guardrail?
2008-08-05 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1581588

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY

aarondavidson - 2008-08-04 10:08 PM Great race. Glad the jellyfish left you alone for the most part. Any word on that kid who hit the guardrail?

I haven't heard anything more about the guardrail accident. I only found out about it through the race reports and there were no local news stories (at least none that show up online) after the race. I hope he's ok. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Niantic Bay Triathlon Rss Feed