General Discussion Race Reports! » Naval Station Newport/Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Naval Station Newport/Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Newport Naval Station, Rhode Island
United States
Naval Station Newport MWR
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 24s
Overall Rank = 83/118
Age Group = 30-37
Age Group Rank = 17/24
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, put bike together and got stuff around (I haven't done any training since the RI 70.3), ate a Clif bar and grabbed a bottle of water. Decided to drive there in case I forgot something (good thing, forgot race belt). First one there, crew was still setting up. Got registered but the timing chips weren't there yet so, waited around, looked through swag bag (some good stuff). Chips showed up, got body marked, grabbed chip and walked to the transition area. No prta potties to do quick change so slipped between a couple Conex boxes and did it.
Event warmup:

Jumped on the bike, did about 1/2 mile, then jumped in the water. I didn't think it was that cold until I got out and the air hit me. Stretched to try to stay warm.
Swim
  • 12m 18s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am actually pleasantly suprised at my spot. I tried to draft but either ran over the person or if I actually found someone going my pace they were headed off course. Passed a few people from the wave ahead of me and don't think I got passed from the ones behind me. Went with a breath on the 4th stroke while sighting, then 2 one stroke breaths, repeat.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front and blow off trying to draft. Think race was too short to worry about it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Time included in bike but went fairly quickly. Totally missed myGU I was wasnting to take and the beans I wnated to put in my pocket. Knew I would need the sodium....see the run.

I go over my transition from swim to bike in my head while swimming, and I always forget it as soon as I come out of the water. Did the same thing in the RI 70.3. I even left my GU and beans on my seat so I wouldn't forget.
Bike
  • 53m 21s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Still on track for a PR but didn't use my aero bottle and only drank water, once again, no sodium. Spent time up getting bottle from cage behind me and never grabbed my gatorade because it was on the other side and would slow me down more, paid for this on the run.

Not skip using my aero drink and watch how much a drank.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Went pretty quick, grabbed my beans, downed a GU, grabbed a GU and headed out. Turned around, grabbed my race belt then actually headed out.

Just dawned on me why my bike numbers were different then theres, because T1 and T2 were included in the bike.

Nothing
Run
  • 38m 46s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Yeah, you name it, I did it. I cramped in the left calf about 50 feet out of the chute. Stopped and went for almost a mile working on it then the right calf hit. I think this was due to lack of sodium. Then once my calve's loosened up, I bonked. So, to over come that and hopefully not cramp any more I hit the gatorade at the aid stations, too hard. I could literally here the liquids sloshing in my stomach as I attempted to run. This run was worse than my 70.3 run, I believe including my pace.

Monitor my sodium and drink intake. I kind of didn't put too much thought into it because it was "only" a sprint. Kicking myself for that. I could have ended up in the top 40 if I had just ran 10 minute miles!!
Post race
Warm down:

Went over and talked to Christina (RD). Talked to a few others, checked the times, was amazed at my swim split and disgusted with my run. Grabbed my gear and wewnt home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No training since 70.3, bad nutrition (or lack of) plan.

Event comments:

I am pleasantly suprised at how well the race went organization wise. IOther than a few hiccups (common and easily overcome for next time) I think they did an awesome job for a first time event. I was dissapointed that one of the sponsors was Sam Adams and there was no beer at the end, but heh, I got over it. This event will only get bigger and better with the coming years, I predict. The RD is already working on adding a youth race next year and as long as the Navy is involved it has to have a decent organization to it. Heard a couple people comment that it was cool to run with the two aircraft carriers as a back drop.

I highly recommend this race to anyone that can make it.

Last updated: 2008-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:18 | 586 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/118
Performance: Good
Suit: New Jaggad Top and Bottom, no wetsuit
Course: Triangle, clockwise. Small white bouy's hard to see (RD already knows, they put out different ones than she asked for).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:21 | 16 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Overall: 57/118
Performance: Average
My comp showed average at 18.4?? and time at 51 and change??
Wind: Little
Course: Double out and back. Minimal rollers (3). I hate hills and would call this a flat course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:46 | 03.1 miles | 12m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 110/118
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back loop. One hill up and down. Harder coming back up the other side.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
Subject: Naval Station Newport/Sprint Triathlon

2008-08-04 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1579957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: RE: Naval Station Newport/Sprint Triathlon
I love that area, I would have done that race in a heart-beat if I hadn't already been signed-up for one! Next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naval Station Newport/Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed