General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just finished my first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-04 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Subject: Just finished my first tri

Swim         t1        Bike          T2          run

188  1:43:41   7/9    CLYDE   230   14:45    2:12  128   50:53    0:43  233   35:10

I feel pretty good for accomplishing my goal of finishing my first tri and coming in the range that I had set for myself (My thought was I would finish in the 65%-80% range (188/259=73%) and in my time range of 1:40 - 1:50. ), but I am kind of disappointed at the same time. 

I knew the swim was going to be hard, even during training I had a hard time breathing and turning my head w/out sucking in a gallon of water, and during the race, it happened and made me gag.  water went up my nose even w/ a nose clip.  When I was a kid I used to swim w/ a dive mask to help w/ the water up the nose so now Im looking in to the speedo raven mask that has the face skirt w/ nose thinking that would be a better option than nose clip (less painful).  Im also thinking about training with a snorkel and possibly using it during my next race (I have read the recent snorkel thread and I am prepared to get laughed at I guess)  But if a snorkel can help my time and its legal - why not use it? Like using a wet suit in 77 degree water.

My bike time I thought would be a little better than MOP, so I'm not too disappointed w/ that.  I just figured my time would be a few minutes faster though, but since I've only had my bike for 4 days before the race, Im OK w/ it.  The run was pretty much in the range I had given myself, between 33 and 36 minutes.  I wanted to use the 3 run / 1 walk Galloway method, but it was more of a 2/1, or a 1.5/45 depending on how I felt.  Considering I have only run in 4 races in my life and they were over 20 years ago, Im happy.  Also, my first 3 mile run 4 weeks ago was 45 minutes and my best time last week was 32:30, Im OK w/ my run time.

So for my first race, I feel pretty OK.  I want to continue because of the benefits I have gained, and know I can improve, its just frustrating to struggle in the swim as much as I did.  And I know the only way to get better is to swim more and possibly look into coaching

2008-08-04 1:34 PM
in reply to: #1580362

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
Subject: RE: Just finished my first tri
Nice job.  Congrats Triathlete!
2008-08-04 2:00 PM

ratherbesnowboarding - 2008-08-04 2:04 PM

gag.  water went up my nose even w/ a nose clip.  When I was a kid I used to swim w/ a dive mask to help w/ the water up the nose so now Im looking in to the speedo raven mask that has the face skirt w/ nose thinking that would be a better option than nose clip (less painful). 

I use the Dacor Bandit. I can't swim 1 length of the pool if my nose isn't covered. I may try and get over that this winter, but I grew up swimming in a mask.

Congrat's on finishing!

2008-08-04 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe, Arizona (hot hot hot)
Congrats and welcome to the addiction.
2008-08-09 5:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
Feels good to be a triathlete, doesn't it  
2008-08-09 7:38 AM

User image

Master
PA
Give it some time.  I have done 5 and I have yet to finish feeling 'up'.  In fact, I am 5 for 5 on saying I am quitting tris and selling my bike within the first 24 hours after a race, and I keep showing up.  Seek to find the joy in some part of it, whatever it is for you.  For me it comes from stepping back and looking at the big picture of what I just did.  Helps you let go of some frustration about not being 5 minutes faster on the bike, that sort of thing.  Take the feelings of frustration/disappointment with you the next time you train and use it to drive the training level up a bit.  I was frustrated last weekend w/ a race, so on Sunday I went out and did my longest bike ride ever....and it was awesome!  Sort of a 'who's taking over the bike now' attitude!  Totally different place than where I had been 24 hours before.  Find a way to either swap out cards in your hand (i.e. changing your expectations, attitude, etc.) or play the hand your dealt and find a way to use it to your advantage (what I do by going out for a long bike or training harder after my usual post-race attitude).

2008-08-09 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area

Congrats Triathlete! One down, many to go? Be proud of your accomplishment and enjoy!

2008-08-09 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

Thanks to all.  Im still planning on the Hyannis Sprint on September 5th and an xterra in October.  So I have 4 weeks to work on the swim.  It's been tough this week w/ all the T storms at night in New England to get pool time, so I worked on fundamentals of my stoke on land.   And I have a friend & former instructor that will hit the pool with me and give pointers.

And my frustration, like gopennstate said, is a reason to keep working at it.  If there wasnt a challenge, why do it?   So its a work in progress, but the addiction is there and I plan on continuing.  Helps to set goals too.  And I know, my swim time will go down with work.

On a positive note, my run times are coming down, and I am starting to enjoy it, and I hate running.

I do have to say, the triathlon I did last weekend in Greenfield Mass is a great event for first timers (always 1st Sunday in August - I'll post a reminder next April).  It's an open water swim in a river that is 5' deep at the deepest (the turn) so if you struggle, need to adjust or catch your breath, you can stand up just about at anytime (something I took advantage of).  It helped me realize where my strengths and weaknesses are w/out the OWS panic. 

2008-08-17 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1591936

User image

Master
PA

gopennstate - 2008-08-09 8:38 AM Give it some time.  I have done 5 and I have yet to finish feeling 'up'.  In fact, I am 5 for 5 on saying I am quitting tris and selling my bike within the first 24 hours after a race, and I keep showing up.  

Ratherbesnowboarding...it can happen!  I wrote this on 8/9 in reply to your post (which I had totally forgotten about).  In my log on 8/10, the very next day, I sang a totally different tune post-race.  I think you'd be encouraged if you read it.  Be patient.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just finished my first tri Rss Feed