General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
CAPRI Events
Total Time = 5h 11m 50s
Overall Rank = 979/1888
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 150/257
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am, bowl of cereal and GU2O... about 45 minute ride from hotel to race site.
Event warmup:

1.2 mile walk to swim start, then 1.2 mile walk back after swim was cancelled. Very mixed emotions - a bit disappointed but cannot fault the race officials at all. They made the right call. Get telling myself it is all part of taking what the day gives you and making adjustments.
Swim
  • 16m 20s
  • 2310 yards
  • 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Approx. 8 minute miles... felt like I was working a little harder than I should.
What would you do differently?:

Nada
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Pretty smooth - of course I had a lot less to transition - no wetsuit, etc.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 50m 56s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough to call here... I trained less and never really got a great long ride in. My hamstrings and rear paid the price! Last 20 miles were a bit painful but that's my fault. I pushed the pace too hard but really wanted to do well and kept thinking since I didn't swim I could push a little harder... I heard the course was short by a couple miles but last year I averaged 18.3 so did make some nice time improvements!

First train more. Second, I might have backed off a bit on the bike as I paid for it on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Pretty good here - I almost forgot my visor and had to run about 10 steps back to get it.
Run
  • 2h 01m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

One of the things I was proud of last year was not walking. That was one of my goals for this year but wasn't in the cards. Went out solid but about mile 5, started to feel totally out of energy and like I was going to totally boink. I walked the aid stations at mile 5 - 11, drank waters and ate a banana at each one. Other than the hill right outside the campus, I ran the distances between stations. Despite all the walking, my time this year on the run was only a minute slower than last year.

Better pacing and / or nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran across the finish line with my 3 girls (8, 6 and 3), carrying the 3 year old (I did tell them to stay to the side out of everyone's way). Got some plums and gatorade. One of my knees started screaming so a volunteer got me a bag of ice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Always seems to be a question of time out in training vs. living life. No different than anyone else.

Event comments:

All about making adjustments and taking what the day gave me. Felt great about finishing and adjusting my plan to keep moving forward. The volunteers at this race are absolutely incredible. I'll be back!

Last updated: 2008-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:20 | 2310 yards | 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/257
Overall: 0/1888
Performance:
Suit:
Course: 2.1 mile run, up a hill, turn and back down and into transition. Didn't like running on the sand particularly.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:56 | 56 miles | 19.66 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Not great road except a stretch of new payment near the end.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:01:10 | 13.1 miles | 09m 15s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out a few miles, then 2 loops through Whirlpool campus, then back. Hill added on the loop this year :-(
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 1:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

2008-08-04 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1580377

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

Hey, great job!  It sounds like you and I ran a very similar race.  I definately had some of the same thoughts and feelings you did.  Check my race report.  Running was much harder than I thought and there was no way that I was going to have a "kick" for the finish.  In fact, I was coming up that last drive before the left turn onto the sand and was going to walk when I saw my wife cheering me so I kept running!

Anyway, congrats on finishing!

Greg

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed