General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Los Angeles Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-04 3:45 PM

User image

Newport Beach, CA
Subject: Los Angeles Triathlon
Has anyone out there done the Los Angeles triathlon? Any pros and cons to the race? How was the course support & crowd support? How is the race schwag (medals, dri fit tees, anything)? Is the bike course hilly?

I'm having some motivational problems right now, and i can't decide if I want to do the race. I tend to do longer races, and sometimes feel a bit let down by smaller shorter races (mostly because I'm not exactly a sprinter....). Plus, the $165 entry fee is steep!!!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

2008-08-04 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1581031

User image

Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon

Did it in 2006.  I thought the race was just OK, and expected much more for a "big city" marquee race.  Not that you'd probably notice, but there was a lot of beind the scenes politics trying to wrest the race away from the RD.  Hopefully, that will improve some things... maybe 

Pros:
Get to race with solid pros
Riding through empty LA streets
Point to point, so you don't get bored
Bike course not too hilly (that might be a con to some), but there is a net elevation gain throughout, and one hill at about mile 22 as I recall

Cons:
$165 (ouch)
Point to point, so you have to show up the day before and drop off your bag, and coordinate transportation or take their shuttle
Loooooong T2 area
At least in 2006, a few things left wanting....  course signage was weak (exit T1, missing mile markers, etc)
Run goes up a very large hill at least once, they've changed the course so I think it goes partway up a second time
2006 shirt was weak.  It's in my "hardly ever wear" pile

I am glad i did it once, but I don't really have any plans to do it again soon

How about Carpinteria?  Or the new Orange County?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Los Angeles Triathlon Rss Feed