General Discussion Race Reports! » Summer Sizzler International Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Summer Sizzler International Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hiawassee, Georgia
United States
Great Smoky Mountains Triathlon Club
88F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 19m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:05 am for a 4:30 departure from the house. Mapquest had it at 2 hours to drive from Marietta to Hiawassee, but it only took 1:45 due to the early hour (though the fog on the road was heavier than I thought it would be). Ate an energy bar and drank some coffee & water during the drive. Very easy to find the GA Mountain Fairgrounds.
Event warmup:

After checking in, I got a nice spot in transition and set up. Then I just walked around, stretched a little, talked with some fellow racers.
I just want to note here that this race had some serious athletes present. There was a lot of kick-A equipment, and some hard, core no-nonsense people. After trying to talk to some of them (robots) I began to wonder if any Kona spots were on the line. Oh well, to each their own. But the results show that some good times were posted.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1408 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I must say I really wanted to like this course because of the exit and re-enter thing, but the way we were all just bunched in the water and they said "GO!" , kind of put me off. I don't mind a wave start, but with EVERYBODY, come on. Thank goodness I'm a big guy or I would have been battered senseless. That's why I put GOOD for first 200m performance, because I survived the washing machine first half-loop. The second lap was better with the thinning out of racers, and I found a great stroke, feeling pretty good.
Oh, and I wish they'd get better mats over top of the sharp rocks if we have to run over them again next year.
What would you do differently?:

During all the standing around waiting for the start I would have nudged up front. At least I'd be fighting the other swimmers in the front of the pack and take some time off of my race.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Here is where I missed having timing chips to see my splits. I blew through T1. Helmet & glasses on quick, grabbed bike over my shoulders, and had a running start with shoes already clipped in. This had to be my fastest T1 ever, but I'll never know...

Nothing
Bike
  • 00m
  • 23 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I liked this course, though I could have used some longer stretches of just flat road to stay aero.
I ran into a few miles of cars & trucks ahead of me waiting to pass fellow racers while I sucked on their fumes, but all in all the motorists were courteous to us.
Most of the racers must have been pretty equal on the bike as I didn't get passed by many people, nor did I pass many either.
I think this race finally found me coming into my own with gear shifting. I seemed to always be in a good gear for my cadence.

Practice hills!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, another sweet transition. I was watching a fellow Clyde just ahead of me, and I made some distance up on him during T2.

I still have to pull on socks for runs over three miles. So I guess better shoes would solve that.
Run
  • 00m
  • 4 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Holy Moly the Hills! This is where my race really faltered. I let the hills beat me. I couldn't reel in the Clyde who was just ahead of me. This course mentally whipped me.

Brick workouts on some hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a banana and drank some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My RUN!!!!

Event comments:

I don't mean to rate this race so low and bash it, because I really liked doing this race. It's just that with this level of competition, we need a more organized swim start, and some freakin' timing chips. I'm not really even sure my time was as good as they said it was.
That being said, I'll be back next year to have my revenge on the Summer Sizzler.

Last updated: 2008-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1408 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto Tri Suit
Course: Counter-clockwise, two loops around a small island out in the lake. At the end of the first loop we had to exit the water, run around a marker tree, and re-enter for the second loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:00:00 | 23 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Big loop around Lake Chatuge, with half of it in the state of North Carolina. Rolling Hills with some pretty good grades present.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 04 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Two loop course out to Hwy 76 and inside the fairgrounds.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Summer Sizzler International Distance Triathlon

2008-08-04 8:35 PM
in reply to: #1581382

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Summer Sizzler International Distance Triathlon

Looked like a good race.  While I am a good swimmer, I do not really like the mass starts either.  Waves are better, time trial is best.  Since the race is not huge, I am not sure why they did a mass start?????  Very funny on the hard core racers....Coldfire made the same comment on the IM stickers every where.  Ah the running blues....I have had them since I started this crazy sport.  It get better right?

Keep up the good work!

2008-08-04 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1581528

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Thanks, Captin!

2008-08-05 6:32 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great RR!!!! Sounds like you had a solid race, congrats!!

Yeah, next year I am bringing a steal-tooth rake to make a path in those rocks. Holy cow were they rough of the feet.

I love the races up there, but I agree that if they had chipps that would be best. I would love to see my splits on T1 & T2, as I think my best transitions happen up there.

Was the guy that won, Thomas Pillard (sp?), an Olympian? Or, part of the back up team? He had a Tri-suite on that looked like it with his last name and USA on the front. He was 19, and flying. I think his finial time was something like 1:43, or that ballpark.
2008-08-05 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
I wonder if they Clyde that you were trying to reel in was my brother, Derek? Solid black 2XU Tri-suite. I think is offical time was 2:15:30, or around there.
2008-08-05 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1581909

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Coldfire,
Yeah I saw that kids tri suit, but didn't know how he finished. Good to know he can look the part and back it up. I'd love to have one of those suits but would look like a poser. But again, he typified the type of talent at this race.
Speaking of talent, that must have been your brother I was trying to catch. He did a nice job on the run keeping a steady pace. Tell him I said congrats. Hopefully next year he'll be trying to catch me!

2008-08-05 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1581961

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
kuotaguy - 2008-08-05 8:26 AM

Coldfire,
Yeah I saw that kids tri suit, but didn't know how he finished. Good to know he can look the part and back it up. I'd love to have one of those suits but would look like a poser. But again, he typified the type of talent at this race.
Speaking of talent, that must have been your brother I was trying to catch. He did a nice job on the run keeping a steady pace. Tell him I said congrats. Hopefully next year he'll be trying to catch me!

Cool, I will definitely tell him. That will make him feel great, as he said he was having issues with the hills. He is a member here, ACE5880 I think. Keep an eye out for his RR when it comes out. I would have thought that he already finished it, but I guess he is busy.
2008-08-05 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Congrats on your day!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Summer Sizzler International Distance Triathlon Rss Feed