Troika
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 45m 17s
Overall Rank = 233/245
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00 coffee and toast and Perpetuem for breakfast. Packed and got Heather up, it was so great that she was driving c-cic and me and then driving us home again. Thanks H!
Arrived and set up transition and got in line for PP, then got in line again. Got marked and hung out with other club members.
Event warmup:

A short swim was about all we got to do! But better than nothing
Swim
  • 51m 16s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

This wasn't my best swim ever. Waded in late as usual but ended up with lots of contact and had to stop several times to figure out where we were going. I had a tough time seeing the buoys and navigation was terrible. I did get to draft for a while which was GREAT! Had someone on my feet who kept hitting me, very distracting. Got run over by the fast women a few times. This is probably the most contact I've had since I started the sport. Not scary but distracting on a poor swim day. I was tired and technique was falling apart by the last 400 yds. Oh well, I was out there and it was still fun.
What would you do differently?:

Get more sleep!!! Keep up on the training.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

A average transiton for me, only one leg stuck on the wetsuit, I did run all the way to the bike mount line with one of those dumb cafe cleats on my shoe so had to stop, get it off and put in my pocket.

Make sure no cafe cleats on shoes! More body glide! I got chafed this time something awful.
Bike
  • 3h 16m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.11 mile/hr
Comments:

This time I tried hard to "stick to the plan" and ride my pace and not "race the bike" In the past I've gotten sucked into passing people because its so much fun and always pay for it on the run. I got passed quite a bit this time but kept my pace like in training, ok, well a little more. Felt pretty good the whole way, back and neck started to hurt with 10 mi to go.

More bike time
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

This is a great transition, there are bike catchers and bag holders and all you have to do is ride to one of them, they grab your bike, you take off helmet and shoes and anything you don't want to run with, throw it in the open bag and go, a volunteer handed me my run bag, put on shoes and hat and off we go!
Run
  • 2h 32m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

This is just a beautiful run along the Spokane river most of the way and it's really pretty. MY big "off we go!" didn't last long though and I ended up walking and running the whole thing, started out walking the aid stations and running between but my walks got longer and the runs shorter. Just didn't feel strong this time.

Get more sleep! Train more in the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, watch C-cic finish only 40 secs behind me on the run, another mile and she would have passed me! Shared high 5's and hugs with the other members. Drink some water and go get the bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of rest mostly, I've got to get that figured out.

Event comments:

This race is a blast! I PR'ed this year in spite of everything, mostly because I ran faster than last year. Everything is right on time, the volunteers are just great and the finish sandwich is really yummy. I did the whole race on InfiniT for the 1st time and it worked really well. I used a concentrate on the ride with a bit more protein and on the run, used the short distance formula with less protein and my system tolerated this really well. I'll stick with it for sure. I'll volunteer next year for sure. And the sweatshirts are zip up hoodies in bright blue, the best ever!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:16 | 2112 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 246/245
Performance: Below average
Suit: Promotion Power Glide Sleeveless
Course: Rectangle counter clockwise, 1 lap
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:16:24 | 56 miles | 17.11 mile/hr
Overall: 226/245
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back leg and then Rolling hills all the way into Spokane, this is a beautiful course and just challenging enough.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:32:50 | 13.1 miles | 11m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 233/245
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along Centennial trail, a beautiful run right along the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-05 9:13 AM

User image

Spokane
Subject: Troika Half Iron Triathlon

2008-08-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1582159

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Troika Half Iron Triathlon
Great race Mason! Nice job on getting the PR. Cool pics too!
2008-08-05 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

GREAT JOB!!!  It was sure fun to see you zooming past on the bike - I waited for that bell, but sure didn't have to wait for very long!  And you looked great on the run - first after you'd turned around (oh, no way I'm catching him this year) and also in the distance nearer the end when I still couldn't catch you.  Not that I didn't try, mind you.   Even though you're my brother and I really want you to do well, I REALLY wanted to catch up to you those last 5 miles or so.  Wasn't happenin'!

Sorry you didn't feel great - I know you keep working on the rest part but there's only so much you can do with such a crazy busy job.

Way to PR!

2008-08-05 10:54 AM

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Great job Mason and congrats to your PR. Glad to see you were able to stick to your plan. That is hard to do. I constantly have to remind myself that I need to do my race and not race others.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Troika Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed