On The Run
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 17m 51s
Overall Rank = 9/362
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:50 to eat a Cliff bar, a Banana and to drink some water. Then I got ready and headed out shortly after.
Event warmup:

Jogged out to the 2 mile marker, then back. By the time I was done with that I was covered in sweat already. Stretched a bit then made my way to the starting line.
Run
  • 17m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I thought I was 8th and don't remember a teenager infront of me.. but I don't trust my memory that much! lol

So besides being the hottest race I'll do all year, it's a fast course.

I went with no watch for this race and am glad I did. Sean Wade was there and he went out at his pace(you know.. 4:50 miles). This had a chain effect and everyone went out a bit fast for the first half mile, I eased back a bit and hit the first mile feeling like I would want to. Over the next mile I was creeping back up to Chris, and leaving the other Chris behind. The Chris up ahead normaly runs low 17s so I was starting to think I was having a good day. Anyway I felt good during the 2nd mile as well. Which is about when I caught Chris, and I ask him if he is just jogging this race or what. He replies, no he just feels like Crap. I think, well dang I thought I was running good. So I then move infront of him and lift the pace a bit. Then I notice Rudy isn't that far ahead either! Rudy is a 16:00-16:30 guy so I think again I must be running good. I'm starting to hurt at this point(1200 to go roughly) but not as bad as I had in past races, that's for sure.

At this point I'm trying to gap Chris behind me because I know he has a kick, and I do not. ;p Also going through my head was just hold this pace till the end, no need to hurt your self too bad you're already on a good time! Next thing I know I hear Chris's feet coming up. I then lift it a little bit, but I still hear his feet coming on. He then shortly comes around me, I jump on his feet for about 10 seconds but I didn't dig enough to stay on. He ended up getting me by 3 seconds.

So I had thought I was running pretty good, everything felt smooth, effort was under control. But as it turns out both Chris and Rudy had their worse day in years, and probably life time worse for Rudy who was only 24 seconds ahead of me. So instead I just came in at a so-so time. Not horrible for where I thought I would be right now, but not great.

P.S. My sister rocked though, she ran a 22:45 there and won her AG. This is also a 43s PR for her. If she keeps going at this rate she will be running 20 flat before too long. :)
What would you do differently?:

I probably should of pushed past Chris right before the turn around instead of waiting till just after the 2mile mark. I think that would of made Chris run faster and pushed me to run faster as well.
Post race
Warm down:

2.3 mile cool down run, while we all complained about how slow we ran. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad end of may and june of running.

Last updated: 2008-08-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:51 | 03.11 miles | 05m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 9/362
Performance:
Course: It's a flat out and back course with some turns, but not tight 180s.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-05 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Maribelle's On the Bay 5K

2008-08-05 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1582242

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Maribelle's On the Bay 5K
Awesome fast in hot heat! Nicely done!! Big congrats to your sister, a 43s PR in a 5K is a HUGE improvement!! That's great you two race together.  I can't wait to see you nail a 5K feeling just like you want too cause when you do, we'll just call you "The Flash."
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maribelle's On the Bay 5K Rss Feed