San Francisco, California
United States
West End Management
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 646 /4354
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 97/433
Pre-race routine:

Back in December my brother mentioned running a marathon and I said if he signed up that I would join him unless it fell on SOR or Accenture weekend, the only races I had booked at the time, he settled on the San Francisco marathon on August 3rd. This made for an easy trip since he lives across the bay in Oakland. As the race approached I started to feel the effects of a long season (already three 1/2 marys, 1/2 iron, 10 miler, oly etc) and after HellWeek in July my right hip flexor and left knee were cooked. So for the last three weeks couldn't run pain free. SOR spent the entire race battling knee pain.....So probably not the best way to fly across the country and run 26.2 miles.

Run
  • 3h 42m 59s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Race Day: Did you know San Fran is cold? I didn't. I was really cold waiting for Wave 4 to start the marathon. They do a staggered start because the Golden Gate bridge is only partial closed for the run. I ran in my Running Away singlet and shorts and was cold from the start, I didn't even think to bring warmers in AUGUST. My wave took off through the fog and darkness, at 5:45 AM. The plan was to run within myself and not do further damage. Locals said the race was 'pretty flat' I agree pretty flat if your frame of reference is the ALPS. The first 7 miles was spent running to and across the Golden Gate bridge...a strong wind blew across the bridge and really only the tops of the mountains could be seen through the fog although the sun was starting to poke through the fog and clouds

I stopped for a pit spot behind a dumpsters and fell in some netting, I thought for a second, I would be captured and hanging from a tree in a boobie trap...quickly regrouped and ran with an Ironman from canada for a few miles just chatting away about races. After the bridge went through some peaks and valleys but i was getting faster as the race went on, by mile seven hip and knee hurt but the pain wasn't getting worse so I just kept motoring away. (Mile 7.5 split ave 8:36 miles) I was keeping my HR below 169, only letting it drift up during the hills. At the half way point things were confusing as the 1/2 marathon's (they had two first half and second half) were merged into the full marathon course..they looked fresh, lol.

First half split was 1:52:14 and my calfs and gluts were starting to feel the effects of the hills. Up and down Up and down. Running up a hill between 14-15 I was stopped by a dude in a Devil's costume pumping a keg and handing out beers. So I stopped for a small cup of beer....why not? Pretty bleak crowd support made miles 15-20 boring but I was getting stronger throughout the run. I keep thinking about the Nike commercials, I got strong all day, my better is better than your better as I had bridged the gap into Wave 3, they had gone out waaaaaay to hard. The worst hill was mile 21-22 ish but it was the downhill portion that killed (think Galena at mile 22 of a marathon) my quads had trouble keeping me from doing a face plant. Then i heard the most glorious of all words.....LAST HILL. Mile 24 to the finish would be flat and fast....jumped the curb and around Giants stadium and back to the finish. Turned on the gas for the last 3/4 miles and cross the tape in 3:42:59 feeling pretty good. I was able to stay within myself (the real goal) and negative split the marathon.

Place Overall: 646 out of 4354
Men: 561 out of 2873
M 30-34: 97 out of 466

Post race
Event comments:

Looking forward at my shot for sub 3:30 at Chicago...Race is well run and fun, the crowd support is nothing compared to Chicago but the marathon is the smallest of the race weekend. I think the early start 5:30 has a lot to do with limited support. The hills are murder so get ready to suffer. Plenty of hotels in the area as well for out of towners. I don't recommend sticking a marathon in the middle of tri season though :)

Brother and I made the San Fran paper since mom was interviewed somewhere on course
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/04/BAUM124...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-25 12:00 AM
Running
03:42:59 | 26.2 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/433
Overall: 0/4354
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-05 1:14 PM

User image

over a barrier
Subject: The San Francisco Marathon

2008-08-05 7:38 PM
in reply to: #1582933

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: The San Francisco Marathon
Hey, sounds like you had a great race.  Except for being on the bridge, I thought it was perfect running weather.  I didn't think the hills were too bad either, but then again I live here! Laughing
2008-08-06 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
WA

hahaha!!  everyone makes the mistake of thinking california is hot.  it's not!  it's warm in the south, not so much in the bay area, which is pretty temperate year round.

oh, the number of times i've gone to the mall in early june (which are all outdoors in san diego) to find tourists shivering in their daisy dukes and tank tops....it's not hot, it's just perfect .

anyway, great race dude, way to negative split it! 

2008-08-06 10:20 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
great race...one day I will do a sub 4...Oh and I think it was Mark Twain that said the coldest winter he ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco.  I have run the SF marathon twice...once was super hot...totally unexpected heat...the second was cold and rainy...I am not sure which I prefer.

Edited by runningwoof 2008-08-06 10:23 AM
2008-08-06 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
NW suburbs of Chicago
Nice work, Hayes! Great report and race. Congrats!
2008-08-06 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great Race!  You are going to bust up Chicago.  Bust it up, I say!

2008-08-06 1:42 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The San Francisco Marathon Rss Feed