Vineman Events
97F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 27m 2s
Overall Rank = 156/220
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 33/48
Pre-race routine:

Megrims. I have so many mental issues coming into this race, i can't even focus on any single one. Nevertheless, I'm back this year after having participated in the aquabike here last year. This time I hope to throw my jughead crown into the ring and actually go for it. The whole thing. The full Iron-distance race. What even makes me think I can do this? I have two (let's face it) somewhat lacklustre halfs under my belt and then the aquabike here last year, all of which destroyed me both mentally and physically for at least a week afterward. I look nothing like the rest of the people that are here at the expo. These are some of the fittest and best conditioned humans on the planet. I'm sure of it. I, on the other hand, am an ectomorphic, poor postured, timid, forlorn looking recovering couch camper. I would love to think of these as "my people." These are not "my" people. My people are skinny, watch TV till their eyes bleed each night and eat a lot of potato chips. These are ironmen.

The race expo is fantastic. A lot of activity, several vendors, and a couple of guys announcing nothing in particular to nobody in particular. "Of course its gonna be a tough day, its triathlon.... if it was easy, they'd call it football or something" Funny guys. They're asking people to guess their own times and then announcing them out loud to the crowd. Despite my concerted attempt to avoid eye contact of any kind, I am asked as I walk by so I do what every ectomorphic, poor postured, timid, forlorn looking recovering couch camper would do... I pretend I didn't hear them..... "Ah, by your response I can see that you're a first timer.... I see a lot of walking in your near future...." I'm not pissed. He's probably right.

Wait, Back up.

We decided to drive up to the race this year. Last year, the combined hassle of the flight, the rental car and the reassembly of the bike was just too much. So despite the peak petroleum theory, off we went in the car. 71/2 hours, 450 miles. Ass-numbing isn't the word. The place we stayed last time (Case Ranch Inn) was booked up so we took a recommendation from that inn keeper and stayed at a place called the Inn at Occidental. A very nice place. Truthfully, a little too much for me, but Peedra loved it. She deserves something better than the Santa Rosa Econolodge, having put up with not only my recent race zone induced general pissiness, but also the 12 week long virtual abandonment that was my training program.

I took the time to swim every inch of the course on the river. This is a most pleasant swim. Despite what it may sound like, there really is virtually no current in the river, the temperature is pleasant, the scenery is fantastic, there are no pihrana, what else can you ask for?

Race day morning I arise from my usual non-sleep, choke down some sort of cold cereal, get dressed and head out to the start.

As mentioned before, i have so many things on my mind, i can't even decide which to worry about..... so oddly enough on this, the morning of my biggest race to date, I find my mind completely blank. Disturbingly so. This is not normal for me. Normal for me is to panic, obsessively check my gear again and again, and worry about any and every eventuality, now matter how far-fetched. Hmmmmm. Could this be what is known as confidence? nawww.
Event warmup:

No real opportunity to swim for warmup and farbeit from me to disturb the delicate balance of my T1 setup and go for a quick spin on the bike. Nothing really.
Swim
  • 1h 25m 53s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is a really good time for me, a PR for this distance, in fact.

The deep water start is sort of anticlimactic. A running start is like a top fuel dragster taking off, all panic, commotion and action. Very exciting. A deep water start is more like a locomotive leaving the station. Ho-hum.

Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of opportunity for contact. There's no question that I'm swimming with a hundred other sunsuvbitches.

I start out in a nice easy pace and all is uneventful through the first half of the first leg. Crossing under the bridges here, you can expect some fairly shallow water just on the other side for a few hundred yards or so. I have fairly long arms and although i could not see the bottom, i could occasionally feel my fingertips brush the smooth gravel riverbed. Its also really shallow at the far turn buoys.

I pace myself comfortably for the duration of the swim. it bothers me not at all that before the first turn, i am being overtaken by caps the color of the next wave, and WAY before the second turn, i'm seeing many caps from the wave after that..... I'm desensitized to it by now. Also, a break for the wetsuit endorsement. I love my wetsuit, its like I'm paddling on a surfboard. There's no WAY i achieve this body position in the pool.

One time the guy in front of me uses his foot to flood my goggles, several times I exchanged unintentional and halfhearted zombie-like gropings with other swimmers, but all in all, a relatively low drama factor to this swim.

What would you do differently?:

Work on speed, which for me means taking some lessons.
Transition 1
  • 05m 24s
Comments:

I made a deliberate decision to take this easy. I'll save the full panic giddy-up yeeeehaw T1 for my next oly.

Yeah, arright. Maybe go a little faster.
Bike
  • 7h 09m 53s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Preface: It's HOT!

I started out okay. My strategy was to take this somewhat easier than last year so that I could have something left for the run. I would run my own race and not get lured into any petty cycling duels by other riders and I would spin away nice and comfortably. If I even feel like I might be going too hard, then I'm going too hard. My plan was to run a half hour slower than last year.

I.... I can't..... I tried. I started with all good intentions, but then quickly relented to the urge to chase faster riders and stand up on the smaller uphills. Bad... Bad. I know I'm being bad. My heart rate confirms this at about 160. Too high for this distance.....

Based on my time at the end of my first lap, I could easily better last years time by a good half hour or more. Yes!

As it turns out, fortunately so for my run effort, a tiny thorn broke my destructively competitive pattern. About 20 miles into the second lap, perhaps a mile beyond the first aid station, i get my first ever flat tire during a race.

Now, really, who practices changing a tire for speed..... you do? oh. nevermind.

It takes me the better part of 20 minutes to change my rear tire. This was a pathetic scene. I have witnessed more small motor skill acumen watching a runaway circus elephant attempt to mount an abandoned airstream trailer. I stumbled and tripped and dropped things all the while emitting a string of obscenity that would have made the demon spawn of a beer wench and a stevedore blush. I managed to temporarily lose my skewer, mangle the daylights out of one of my skewer springs by somehow getting it jammed in rear derailleur pulley, and finally to apply a spectacularly artistic chain grease tattoo to my right calf, the pattern of which will survive the indelible ink of my body markings by days. At one point I actually had to stop what I was trying to do, calm down and collect myself before I caused some irreparable damage. This tire changing chore was made more difficult by the fact that i am entirely dependent on my aerodrink bottle for hydration, the two rear seat mounted bottles full of gatorade having long since reached the approximate temperature of the surface of the sun. The aerodrink bottle is precariously balanced on the uneven mulch surface in the only nearby shady spot. i don't look at it for fear that it may fall over. If this happens in this kind of heat, i know I am backtracking to the last aid station out of necessity.

Damage done and tire finally changed, i get back on the road with a new goal. Forget about bettering last year's time, forget about the bad luck with the tire, forget about the clumsy, shamefully inept tire change.... , at this point, lets conserve energy for the run. Back to plan A, a good plan.

Practice changing tires. Do a better job of executing my planned race day pace.
Transition 2
  • 04m 22s
Comments:

Again, a deliberately plush T2.

In hindsight, I would hurry a bit more. Free time.
Run
  • 5h 41m 28s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

It was told to me that Iron distance racing is mostly mental. Here are my thoughts on that. Imagine being full. Completely full, not hungry at all. Now imagine your absolute least favorite vegetable. Your most loathed. For me it's Lima beans. Now image being seated at a table, given a spoon, and served six large bowls of lima beans. Eat up. go on..... This is how I felt at the beginning of the run. One huge size bowl of lima beans for each of the six 4.3 mile long run legs. Do I really possess the mental facilities to deal with this?

I have never run a marathon before. I have no real background in running. Running is by far my worst subject. On a very very good day, my run split will actually take less time than my bike split. All of this is what I am thinking as I head out on the run.

My plan was to "run" (not entirely sure that what I do can be called running) between aid stations and walk each of the aid stations, take everything they have to offer before "running" to the next. If I get tired I will take a one minute walk break between aid stations.

I set out executing my plan. It goes well for the first leg. It goes so well that I decide to try skipping an aid station. I also get a little too ambitious with the water at the aid station and manage to thoroughly soak my left shoe. As I slosh into the transition area to change into a fresh pair of socks, i note my time on first lap as roughly 1:45. plus 5 minutes or so to change the socks.

At the end of each lap you are given a bracelet to indicate how many laps you have completed. At one point during the second lap, I offered somebody $50 cash for their bracelet. No deal. Too bad.

I still feel good at the start of the second lap. A quick endorsement for the out and back course, you do get to see many familiar faces several times. I decide to skip another aid station. This was probably not the best idea I had all day. I don't know exactly when but somewhere during the first leg of the second lap, i could feel my heartbeat throbbing in my ears and I was starting to get cold, goosebumps, despite the 95 degree plus temperatures. I start to feel wobbly and a little dizzy. Megrims notwithstanding, this is really the first time all day that the thought of DNF entered my mind. I stop running and walk to the next aid station. What is wrong with me? Something with my nutrition? I'm not even halfway through the run.

Wait. Could it be... is that? It is..... COKE! There's coca cola at the aid station. Coke to the rescue. I drink coke and walk to the next aid station and then the next. Coke. Miracle elixir. I feel better by the end of the third leg and manage to get back onto a modified version of my program. This consists of three minutes "running" and one minute walking. Feeling better now but still riddled with self doubt, my time for lap two as I come by the finish chute and T2 to start my third lap, about 2:10.

The temperature is starting to drop as I set out on the third and final lap. My plan of 3:1 run walk is working well. I start to settle into a rhythm and as things cool down, i start to pick up the pace a little as I round the cone at the far end of the "out" leg. The temperature is somewhere in the 70's as the last traces of daylight dwindle. My megrims are fading into the rearview mirror. I have now passed by many of the same faces four and five times, they're almost like family to me at this point. We've laughed, we've cried, we've washed down a thousand lima beans with dixie cups full of coke together.....

The final lap, about 1:40. I feel good. I have the energy to pick up the pace and run (not "run") down the finish chute.

Practice the race day nutrition a bit better. Start with a more conservative run - walk program
Post race
Warm down:

They actually pull the tape across the finish line for each finisher. How thoughtful of them..... I ran through that tape like i'd just won the gold in Beijing. There were volunteers to give you water, adorn you with a finishers medal, give you a vineman t-shirt and ask you if you need to throw up.

A quick and efficient "T3". I find Peedra who has been one hell of a support throughout the entire race, hurry back into transition to grab my gear, and we waste no time getting packed up and outta there. 9:45 at night... Its been a Looong day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All mental. By simply keeping my head about me and not doing anything stupid, I have no doubt that I could easily shave at least a half hour off my time and more likely and hour or more.

Event comments:

What a great experience. This is truly a spectacular race. Supremely well organized, plenty of volunteers, a truly breathtaking course.

Drawbacks (out of the race director's control, clearly) the heat and the pavement condition. But, really... what fun is it if there's nothing to bitch about?

I have no idea what the rules are nowadays, the waters being somewhat muddied out there in the river of public opinion as it relates to "have you earned your M-dot?" Are you worthy of the title "Ironman?" I have no idea.

I do know for damned sure, I'm a Vineman. I'll be back next year.

Last updated: 2008-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:25:53 | 4224 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 0/220
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Two out-and-back rectangles. Calm, relatively warm and very shallow water. Lush forest along all shorelines and one vintage steel railroad bridge to look at while you swim. By far, my favorite swim course yet. If you are new to this distance and at all apprehensive about it, this is a great course. If you tire at any point, simply stop and stand up. Even if you don't, knowing you can if you need to is a great mental boost.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
07:09:53 | 112 miles | 15.63 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Nominally two loops around the Russian River wine area, encompassing Geyserville, Healdsburg, Alexander Valley, Chalk Hill and Windsor. Beautiful scenery. Pretty damned poor surface. A few moderate hills with some rollers. Hotter than the soles of Dante's loafers this year and with headwinds that felt like they were coming from a Yahweh sized hair dryer.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:41:28 | 26.2 miles | 13m 02s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: a triple loop, or triple out and back rather. 8.7 miles each. All on asphalt streets. A couple of noteworthy hills. Great scenery. Hotter than hell. each lap starts/ends at T2.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-06 1:58 AM

User image

Regular
So Cal.
Subject: Vineman

2008-08-06 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1584417

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Vineman

Bill, this is the funniest RR I've read in awhile.  So many funny anecdotes in there - the tire changing, the start of the run like being eating six bowls of your least favorite veggie.  LOL is an iCliche, but it was true reading your RR.  You have a great sense of humor and no doubt this aided you in becoming an ironman. 

I too did this as my first 140.6 last year and anyone who can do 140.6 is an ironman in my book.  Anyone who thinks you have to complete an ironman-branded event to be an ironman is a label .

Again great job and thanks for such an entertaining RR.  Enjoy your recovery.

2008-08-06 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

I have witnessed more small motor skill acumen watching a runaway circus elephant attempt to mount an abandoned airstream trailer.

LMAO! 

Only you!  Great report.  Nice job...really.  Way to go.  It ain't how many times you get knocked down..it is how many times you get up.  No doubt.

2008-08-07 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California

Entertaining!

Fun read; congrats!

2008-08-07 4:17 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Great read, and yes YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!!!  Congrats!
2008-08-07 4:47 PM
in reply to: #1588565

Master
Montgomery, Tx

Great read.  Congrats

2008-08-07 8:32 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Congratulations on a great race and a wonderfully entertaining RR.
2008-08-07 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

Excellent race report...

I was one of the volunteers out there on the bike/run course...spent the day controlling traffic and annoyed homeowners just starting the second loop of the ride and the slight rise about 2/3 way of the 1st, 9th and 17th mile (going outbound) in the run...all I can say is that I have nothing but total respect for you all out there.  The heat was amazing and the determination was truly inspiring.

Damn straight you are an IRONMAN (if thats what you want to be called...you earned it

2008-08-08 8:13 AM

User image

Elite
I have had this RR open for days now, waiting to read. I finally read it. It made me laugh a few times, and you definitely are an Ironman. I have been there with the aerodrink bottle praying it doesnt fall over. Great race.
2008-08-14 1:37 PM

User image

Regular
Salem, MA
This is the best RR I've ever read. Awesome! You should consider writing for Triathlon Magazine if you are not doing it already.
And congrats on finishing the Full Vineman. Now it shouldn't make you feel bad anymore to wear your ironman watch
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Rss Feed