United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night before the race camping up near Sandpoint with some friends from work but still got to bed fairly early and slept well. Had a mocha and a chocolate chip muffin for breakfast on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

Stood around for roughly 37 years listening to the retarded race director drone on and on about himself, the race history, himself, logistics, himself, rules, etc. The dude seriously needs to learn to shut up and just let people swim. We started an hour late because of his lengthy dissertation and poor organization. There were a total of 3 port-o-potties for 700+ swimmers along with their families, and not nearly enough registration personnel. Oh well, at least the morning was pleasant and we weren't having to stand in the rain or hot sun.
Swim
  • 57m 58s
  • 3098 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since the race started so late, had plenty of time to warm up. Swam probably 200 yards nice and easy.
Wished my brother John and my friend Todd good luck then took off when the horn sounded. The first couple hundred yards were a bit rough, almost like a triathlon start but that settled out fairly quickly. At the 1/4 mile marker I was quite a bit ahead of last years pace so was feeling pretty good. Got to the 1/2 mile mark a little slower than I wanted but still not too bad. I had planned to slowly drift to my right, away from the bridge, so I could just swim straight into the bay at the end of the bridge. So I did that, just gradually slipping to the right and a little farther away from the bridge...until a kayaker tapped me on the back and told me to get back over closer to the bridge. I stopped and looked up and realized that I had drifted WAY farther to the right than I had planned and was a lot farther from the bridge than I wanted to be. Uggh. So, had to turn left and get back where I belonged. Somewhere about in here I began to feel a current that we were swimming into. The heavy run-off this year is still affecting the rivers some and apparently there's more water running through the lake than last year at this time. Got to the end of the bridge and headed into the bay and picked up the pace a bit but still wasn't feeling it very well. Finally got to swim near a few people in the bay and passed a few on the way in past the pilings but still was not feeling as good as I did last year here. Seemed like I was swimming by myself up until this point too, and didn't have anyone to help me push harder until the last 1/2 mile. Got to the beach and that was it, all done for another year.
What would you do differently?:

I'm still working a lot on my new swim technique. Obviously have a lot more work to do to get feeling comfortable with it, especially in open water. That and navigate better. No excuse for letting myself get that far off on this course.
The good thing is that with all the navigation issues and not having anyone around most of the swim to help me push harder, I was still only a little over a minute slower than last year and didn't feel like I had swam hard at all when I got done. So the technique is working, just have to fine tune it some.
Post race
Warm down:

Found John and he'd had a killer swim! I'm really proud of him and how much he's improved his swimming this season! Got a huckleberry ice cream cone, some blueberries and coffee, then chatted with some friends before we took off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor navigation and getting used to a new swim technique.

Event comments:

The RD has GOT to figure out that people are there to swim and not listen to him. Sheesh!

Last updated: 2008-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:58 | 3098 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca Speedsuit
Course: Straight swim along the bridge, then a little jog to the right into the bay.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-06 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: The Long Bridge Swim

2008-08-06 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1584589

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: The Long Bridge Swim

X2 on the RD!! AND.... he needs to put some shorts on after the swim! Running around in bikini speedo's isn't flattering in his case! Yell

You need to mark down the extra hundred yards or so that you swam when you veered right. That will surely give you a PR. Another solid, strong swim! You'll be ready to rip next Saturday in Cd'A.

2008-08-07 8:07 AM
in reply to: #1584589

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: The Long Bridge Swim
Nice job despite the navigation issues.  Glad the new form is working!  Bummer about the RD, hopefully he'll figure it out.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Long Bridge Swim Rss Feed