General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
CAPRI Events
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 20m 48s
Overall Rank = 162/1889
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/257
Pre-race routine:

I ate an early dinner and got to bed early the night before. I felt very relaxed and was able to get a solid night of sleep.

4:30am – woke up, ate 2 slices bread w/ PB, banana, half Powerbar, drank 24oz of sports drink
5:45am – drove to Whirlpool lot, parked, pumped up tires, then biked less than 1 mi to race start
6:15 am – arrive at transition area to set-up and prep for race
6:45 am – transition area closed and I left with my swim gear in hand
7:00 am – race start but I’m in wave 15 of 17 (over an hour later)

Swim
  • 00m
  • 2310 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

It was fairly windy but I didn’t think much of it. I’m still near the transition area when I hear over the PA that the swim had been canceled and the race is now a duathlon opening with a 2.1 mile run.

A million thoughts ran through my head but one word sums it up: bummed. I worked really hard on my swim this year but now I can’t use it. The run is my weakest discipline and I now get to do it twice which put me at a disadvantage. Additionally, they rerouted the bike course to accommodate the first run leg and it’s shortened to 54.0 miles. Not good, that’s my strongest discipline where I have the chance to move up the field.

I quickly refocused and tried to put together a game plan. The problem, though, is I didn’t have a game plan for a duathlon. I tried to come up with a plan that made sense. I didn’t want to run at over LTHR and come into T1 out of my zone. I figured the low end of my half marathon pace seemed reasonable.

The race was delayed by an hour. I hooked up with a friend that started the wave after mine. We chatted for a bit exchanging how our seasons have progressed which helped pass the time. As it got closer to our start, we went out for a warm-up. My legs felt great, I lined myself up about 1/3 of the way back, and the race finally started.

There were some decent little hills on the course but I felt comfortable. In hindsight, I should have worn the Garmin for the entire race. While I felt good on the run (of course I should, I trained for a 70.3 and I’m out running 2.1 mile on fresh legs), I ran this too hard. I never felt anaerobic but running a 6:36 pace on my run fitness/ability just didn't pass the common sense test.

Nutrition: 10’ before start, ate 2 GU gels (Expresso Love & Vanilla Bean) and drank water
What would you do differently?:

Slow down
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Without the need to strip off a wetsuit there's not much to do in T1 except take off run shoes, put on helmet, and go.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 17m 25s
  • 54 miles
  • 23.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I ran the 2.1 miles too fast so I really focused on starting the bike easy for the first 20-30’ to get HR down. I held back as some in my wave rode past me.

I was prepared for a crowded bike course with lots of folks drafting. I didn’t witness many instances of blatant drafting but it was really crowded which affected my race. I started in wave 15 of 17 so about 1400 athletes started before me and many were still out on the bike course. In some spots, it was just plain dangerous. The 20” rule to complete a pass meant that I needed to go out of my zone in some situations so I don’t get nailed with a penalty.

With the shortened bike course I could have ridden harder. I was well within my power targets and could have pushed another 10-15w. However, I think it worked out ok since I had burned quite a few matchsticks when maneuvering through the crowded course.

With 2 miles to go, I shut things down to loosen up and prepare for the run. I was still feeling great.

drink a little more. I underestimated what the initial 2.1 mile run would do to my hydration needs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I took time to make sure I didn't have any pebbles lodged into my socks (had them on from start of the race)

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 47m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

As I started the run I went through my mental checklist. All was well except I hadn’t peed since before the start of the race (2.5 hours ago) and my bladder was empty. I was on the verge of dehydration so I quickly went through the aid station like a buffet. I drank several cups of Gatorade and water then refilled my 16oz bottle with cold water. I took a salt tablet and continued to run my easy pace. When I finished mile 1 the Garmin read 8:15 lap time. It was right on target but I felt like I had worked it pretty hard. I realized I needed to rely more on RPE and HR to dial in my easy effort for the initial part of the run. I continued to take in lots of fluids the first few miles but was careful not to overload my stomach too quickly. My running legs were coming back and I was feeling good.

I was a little discouraged I wasn’t reaching my target pace at times. The Steelhead run course is a little tougher than Racine and I don’t have the strength to run up hills well. There was 1 fairly steep short hill that we get go up twice on the 2-loop section. Since I’m not a strong runner, I wussed out and walked so I’ll be able to finish strong.

Birkierunner came up from behind me and said hello. He looked fresh and strong as if he’s out running a 10k, man that dude can run. He went by me as if I’m standing still.

The mile 10 marker came by and it was time to lay it all out there. I came here to pick up a roll-down Clearwater slot but I figured it was a long shot now that this race turned into a duathlon. I put all doubts aside and was determined to hurt a lot. I ran that last 5k as fast as I could and was able to pass several guys with #15 marked on their calves.

not much, I think I executed this well and it's about as fast as my current run fitness would allow.
Post race
Warm down:

chatted with some athletes that I saw out on the course, enjoyed the sprinker/shower system they had set-up in the finish area, then hooked up with some friends.

I stuck around for the Clearwater roll-down and I got lucky. I picked up the last slot in my AG! I'm pump and am looking forward to going there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not swim? I think I could have placed better had the swim not been canceled. But this is good motivation to work on my limiter, the run, over the off season.

It didn't help that I went to Racine. I'm not experienced enough in this sport to race 2 half's within 2 weeks and it probably made my taper/peak for Steelhead a bit suboptimal.

Event comments:

The crowded bike course rubbed me the wrong way. It certainly didn't help that I was in one of the last waves. I really enjoyed Racine and think I'd pick that race over Steelhead.

I tried to make it into Benton Harbon on Friday early so I can try to meet some of the BT folks. I just couldn't get out of the Chicago area early enough to make it. I wanted to thank them personally for all the information they've shared prior to the race in the forums. It was my first time at this race and I didn't get a chance to see any of it prior to this trip. So thanks everyone for all of your help! It certainly helped me to have a good race.

Last updated: 2008-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2310 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/257
Overall: 0/1889
Performance: Good
No idea how to enter this (I'm fairly new to BT). I was told that the first run is 2.1 miles. With a chip time of 13:52, that means a 6:36 pace.
Suit:
Course: choppy water with bad undercurrents so race changed to a duathlon.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:17:25 | 54 miles | 23.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/257
Overall: 79/1889
Wind: Some
Course: I encountered decent headwind on the first part of the course (going north?). I was hoping to enjoy a tailwind on the way back but I think the wind shifted by the time the latter waves got to this section. It felt more like crosswinds. Some parts of the pavement were rough and the course looked like a triathlon yard sale. Saw lots of bottles, tubes, CO2's, aero bottles and its yellow sponge thing, and one Xlab rear system. On the ride back, we enjoy some freshly paved asphalt.
Road:  Wet Cadence: 101
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:47:26 | 13.1 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 54/257
Overall: 362/1889
Course: fairly flat but there were some sections that made this run course tough (for me)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-06 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
NW suburbs of Chicago
Subject: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

2008-08-06 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1585204

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon
Congtats on the Clearwater spot!!! Awesome!!!! Great overall splits = great RACE!!! Well done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed