General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon - DuathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
CAPRI Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 48m 4s
Overall Rank = 1510/1890
Age Group = Male 25-29
Age Group Rank = 167/194
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15a.m. Bagel, O.J. and powerbar for breakfast. Sipped on a gatorade on the way to the race site. Arrived, took the shuttle to the transition area. Got set up. Noticed the wind was blowing pretty good, huh, water might be a little choppy.
Event warmup:

Walked down to the swim start. Holy crap! The lake is white capping, big waves hitting the shore! This is going to be an interesting swim. Started preparing myself mentally for the swim, told myself "You can do this, just get through it." Got almost to the swim start and got told that the swim had been cancelled and to report to Transition and get might run gear ready and wait for more instructions. Walked back to T1 and got my shoes, socks, visor, and sunglasses on. Was told to walk out of transition and follow the crowd to our 2mile run start. Got there, the said we would still be going out in waves, great, I'm in wave 17, better get comfortable. Took a seat in the shade. Watched the pros/elites go out. Watched all the other waves go out, talked to some guys from Ohio. Stretched a little, finally around 09:30, after it had really started to get warm it was my wave's turn to go.
Run
  • 15m 56s
  • 2.1 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Had no clue how to approach this having never done a duathlon before. At the "GO!" yell from the announcer I let the sprinters go. I figured bustin my ass for two miles was going to wear me out and probably only gain me 1-2min. max. probably not worth it. Went out at a comfortable pace, I thought it was around 8:15ish/mile. Ran up a huge hill to the turnaround then back towards the finish and transition area. Ran steady with a group of about 3-4 guys. Passed a few from previous waves. Got a quick drink from the aid station right before T1.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know, run harder, run easier, who knows. Like I said, had never done or trained for a duathlon, really wasn't sure how to approach it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Ran into T1 and to my bike, which was in a decent spot. Got my helmet and shoes on. Ran out. Had a long run from T1 to the mount line, maybe 100+ yds. Long way.

Nothing. Decent transition, never done a rut to bike T1.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 55s
  • 54 miles
  • 18.31 mile/hr
Comments:

After I got on my bike my legs felt funny for a few miles. Was able to get into a decent rhythm. Passed a lot of people at the start. Got mathced up with a guy who was riding about the same pace I was. Stayed about 4-5 bike lengths behind him to avoid a drafting penalty. Went around him on a few climbs then he passsed me on a couple downhills, we decided to stay together and help each other pace. We took turns leading and following. Other than a few times when it was unavoidable we didn't draft, raced it clean. Concentrated on drinking plenty and staying in rhythm. My stupid aero bottle came out of the bracket, I stopped to re-do the strap that held it, lost maybe 30 sec. Then the dumb thing popped out again a couple miles down the rode, not sure what was up with that, screw it, I'm not stopping again. Rode aero when I was able to. Had a few hills to climb which were not too bad.

About mile 33 me and my pacing buddy caught up to a draft pack of about 8-10 bikes. They looked like slightly weaker riders, a lot of riders from ealier waves. Tried to pass them one time but they decided to stand up on the pedals instead of dropping back like they should have. Where the hell are the race refs? Dropped back behind them to prepare for another try. My pacing buddy came up next to me and was frustrated too. We decided on the next good downhill we were going to try it again. He said, "I'll get right on your back wheel, you just give it hell." Finally after a mile or so we had our shot. Had a decent downhil so I pulled out for a pass, my buddy got right behind me and we pushed as hard as we could. Got past them this time, he had a few choice words for the pack but i just focused on pedaling hard. Got around the draft pack and he dropped back out of my draft zone.

Continued taking water and gatorade at the aid stations, as well as a gel every 40-45 minutes. Mile 45 my pace buddy dropped off, never did see him after that. Saw Kim, Karley, mom-in-law, and other members of my cheering section around mile 50. Had a good trip back to T2. Dismounted well and headed into to get ready for my run.

Not much. Everything seemed to go well with the exception of that one big draft pack. Nutrition/hydration seemed to go well, bike performed great.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Long run from the dismount line to the actual transition area.

Maybe try and get out a little quicker.
Run
  • 2h 31m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Worst half-mary of my life. Came out of T2 not feeling to bad, legs were heavy but not really bad, it was hot though. Made it about a mile in and then there was a big hill, a lot of people walking it. I made a bad decision and let myself walk the hill too. I thought, since my legs are a little heavy I'll walk this hill then start running again, don't want to kill my legs on this early hill. Well that was a bad idea, it was way to easy to walk after that whenever I wasn't feeling very good. Started walking the aid-stations to get in full cups of water and gatorade. Tried running between aid stations but started to let myself walk a little between them. Legs just weren't feeling good and I couldn't get myself to push through it.

About mile 6 I got some much needed encouragement from a fellow runner. She said, "Only 7 more miles you can do it." I started running with her, we walked the aid stations together but then ran between them, giving the other the occasional word of encouragement when we need it. This seemed to work well. About mile 10 she really dropped off, I thanked her for running with me and keeping me going, tried to get her to keep going but she said she needed to walk for awhile. I went on. Walked the rest of the aid stations and couple of the hills. Just could not seem to ever get my legs into a good pace. Finally got close to the finish line and kicked in the last 200 yards. Crossed the line and got my medal.

Not be such a mental pussy. I knew I wasn't going to set a half mary PR but this was ridiculous. Finding a running buddy a little sooner would have helped. Just needed to be a little tougher mentally.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around in the finish area. Got a wet towel and some gatorade. Talked to a few other racers. Got my picture taken with Karley.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This being my first ever duathlon. Loosing the mental battle on the run.

Event comments:

A little hard to rate this with all the changes that were made. They volunteers along the course rocked. They were great. Wish I could have swam but oh well.

Last updated: 2008-03-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:56 | 02.1 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/194
Overall: 0/1890
Performance: Good
Course: Modified loop. Out and then up a big hill to the turnaround. Along a paved roadway toward the finish line then into transition area. One aid startion.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:54
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
02:56:55 | 54 miles | 18.31 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Ride up M-63 then on paved roads working east and north then a stretch south back to T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:12
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:31:09 | 13.1 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Paved streets. Out to the Whirlpool campus, 2 loops through campus then to the finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-06 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

2008-08-06 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1585444

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon
So much for 8:15/mile to start! Wow that's a fast pace! That sucks that they canceled the swim. Sucks also that they waited so long to start you guys. 9:30? I was 1/4 done with the bike by 9:30 in Kansas! Strong pace on the bike. I'm curious though - if you were the uphill man and your pace buddy was the downhill man, why did he have you charge the next downhill to pass the paceline? That's kinda weird. Sounds like he ran out of gas though [along with your runner buddy too!] I don't think you can be too down on yourself with this being your first duathlon, your first run-to-bike T1, and your first ride over 51 miles this year! Overall great job and can't wait to bump into you again at the Black Squirrel. Hopefully I'll be in the finisher chute before you but with the kind of run and bike splits you can put out I'm not counting on it!
2008-08-07 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1585444

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon
Jeremy,

Looks like you had a great race. It sure was a nice day, except for that stinking wind on the lake. Gosh do I wish we could have done the swim. I totally agree with you about the people not knowing the rules or just paying attention. I too had way too many times where I got bottled up behind people acting like they were out for a Saturday morning stroll. I guess that's what happens when we are in wave 14 or 17. I should have done what you did and latched onto a pacing partner, but I guess I didn't know any better. Good luck at the Black Squirrel.

Edited by adambrady 2008-08-07 1:08 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed