General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot's Triathlon - Half Lite 50 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Patriot's Triathlon - Half Lite 50 - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bath, Pennsylvania
United States
piranha sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 52m 45s
Overall Rank = 53/105
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/18
Pre-race routine:

decided to do this race on a whim just a few days before the race. I signed up and paid for the race on race morning which was a first.

At registration, I handed in my form without checking the box whether I was doing the Sprint of the Half Lite. I told the lady i was still undecided.

She asked "do you want me to help you decide?", I said "yes, is the course very hilly?", she replied "i really don't know", so, naturally I replied "ok, I'll do the Half".

I wasn't exactly prepared as I only had about 50 miles of biking in all of July. doh. I figured I'd chalk it up to a long training day.

My pre-race plan was to just take the swim and bike easy so that i could have a decent run.
Event warmup:

strolled and fiddled.
Swim
  • 27m 36s
  • 1422 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a very technical swim course. passages were narrow with alot of turns. sighting was tricky with the sun. there was only one wave with 105 of us.

My goal was to stay out of the pack and just focus on smooth, easy strokes, which i did for the most part. I started way to the right and was had little contact. Actually was one of my calmest swims ever.
What would you do differently?:

nothing...executed as planned.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

didn't do the pre-attached shoes on rubber bands move this time as i was in no rush.
Bike
  • 2h 12m
  • 41 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I've never ridden 41 miles before. Ever. I just wanted to finish with enough juice to run the run.

Manged my pace at first with HRM (heart rate monitoring) then when my Polar started giving me funky numbers I switched to RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion) and then after about mile 25 I switched to TPM (Taint Pain Management). Ouch. Again, I don't ride alot of long distances, but when I do it's with cycling shorts, not tri-shorts. Big difference in padding.

Ride was beautiful rolling hills with farms and quiet neighborhoods. Really fun.

I ran out of liquids at about mile 35. I really should have picked up some more H20 at the bottle exchange. This would later hurt me on the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

t2 is my bitch

nothing
Run
  • 1h 10m 21s
  • 7.6 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Evil run.

My whole goal was to run the whole run, which i almost did. I didn't count on the hills being what they were. I'm really suprised with all of my intense race preparation...i mean, didn't i ask the lady about the hills??

Was doing "fine" until the last two miles or so which were all uphill and in the sun. I had been taking in a little water on the run course, but i find it hard to run and drink so i mostly just spilled it on myself.

I crossed the 7 mile marker and started to drag. I began a mantra of HTFU and S..I...U...B...C, but i started to get really dizzy and faint. I really thought i was going to tumble into a ditch on the side of the road. Decided i needed to walk a bit. That helped and then i was able to muster it up for a run to the finish.

Not sure what the dizziness was, but i suspect the beginnings of dehydration. Should have had more fluids on the bike and stopped to drink more on the run. Maybe switch to the gatorade for some magic electrolytes.
Post race
Warm down:

Since I didn't see anyone in a lab coat waiting for me with an I.V. i just began to drink everything in sight. Drank 4 bottles of water, 3 cokes, and a huge chocolate shake from Burger King on the ride home and still didn't pee for another 3 hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

other than the end of the run, i think i performed as well as possible with the lack of bike training.

Event comments:

enjoyed the race and would do it again

Last updated: 2008-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:36 | 1422 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 60/105
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto T1
Course: 2 loops around the lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low