General Discussion Race Reports! » Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge - Run4 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hobart, Wisconsin
United States
Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 41m 47s
Overall Rank = 347/459
Age Group = F 20-29
Age Group Rank = 28/44
Pre-race routine:

Not much routine here... I got dressed, didn't eat anything... had some water, picked up my time chip and just waited around for the start of the race ceremony. Watched the skydivers jump and land, listened to the national anthem and got ready to go.
Event warmup:

Ran back and forth to a garbage can to throw out my water bottle and that was it.
Run
  • 41m 47s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The gun went off rather unexpectedly and we waited just a short time to get over the time mats and get going. I started out too fast... probably around a 9:10 m/m pace. Sometime very early on, my dad passed me even though I never saw it happen and he stayed ahead of me the rest of the race. Around mile .75 or so we hit the hills... I just continued running more so making sure my breathing didn't get out of control. Ran the early hills, walked the water station at what was labeled mile 1 but was more like mile 1.2, and ran the hill right after it. Was feeling good so kept running, but started slowly losing it around mile two. Made a critical decision to walk the giant hill between mile 2 and 3. Took a gel at that time and then some water when I got to the top of the hill. Started running again after the water station but with a very noticeable decrease in speed. Was forced to walk several times during mile 3, but when I got within a half a mile of the park, decided to run and try to push the pace. Held on even though it was really hurting to get across the line.
What would you do differently?:

Not take the gel at mile 3. Because I was running so hard all it did was just make my stomach upset. Also not go out so hard. I was just too fast early on.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit... got a towel to drape over my shoulders and a bottle of water. Returned my chip.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The lack of training during the past few weeks since Door County. But then again... I wasn't out to murder the course. I need to get back on a training plan!

Event comments:

As much as I enjoy this race because of the actual meaning behind it... I feel it is sliding downhill a bit. The race started 8 minutes early. Not only was my chip time and Garmin time 16 seconds off, there was no food or drinks for spectators, and the time clock was in a bad spot which was not easily visible. I understand that this is a small charity race, but I guess because of who is the race director I expect more.
Dad did really good coming in solidly under the 40:00 mark... good for him!!!

Last updated: 2008-07-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:47 | 04 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/44
Overall: 347/459
Performance: Good
Lap 1: 1.18 miles 11:19 Lap 2: 0.83 miles 8:20 Lap 3: 0.99 miles 11:02 Lap 4: 1.06 miles 10:48
Course: This is a loop course through the roads of Hobart. Hilly around the end of mile 1, the beginning of 2 and an absolutely huge hill pretty much all of mile 3. The rest is flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-09 4:11 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge

2008-08-09 5:16 PM
in reply to: #1592250

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge
Great job out there for no training since your HIM!
2008-08-10 10:03 PM
in reply to: #1592250

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Subject: RE: Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge

Very nice race!!! Sounds like there's a timing issue unfortunately. Those hills sound really tough. But, afterall, you are TOUGH ENOUGH TO CONQUOR THE BLUFF Smile!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pfc. Ryan Jerabek, USMC Memorial Challenge Rss Feed