View Member's Race Log
Juno Beach, Florida
United States
Total Time = 1h 07m 21s
Overall Rank = 6/~300
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

First of, this was the first race that Dante and I did not do together. (Dante could not do the race because of his knee injury from IMLP). It was weird getting ready and racing without him but he was a great sport about it and did a fantastic photo job. In the last couple of races he has been nipping at my heels and is getting close to beating me. Hmmm… maybe I am lucky that he didn’t race. Anyway it was weird not race with him but it was great to hear his voice out on the course.

Believe it or not, this is my first sprint distance race this year. Obviously our focus has been on going long, so going into the race I wasn’t sure if I knew how to go fast anymore. But there is really only one way to find out – do the race.

It was a beautiful morning with perfect conditions for a nice swim

Swim
  • 08m 6s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well!
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Bike
  • 35m 19s
  • 13 miles
  • 22.09 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was a flat two-loop course. I passed some girls at the beginning and then got passed by different girls at the end of the bike. One was my friend, Gina, she not only had the fastest female bike split but had an awesome race too.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Run
  • 22m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

When we started triathlons a year ago the run was my strength but now since I actually ran too much and ran myself into the ground, it is my weakness. Who knew you could run too much in prep for an IM? Anyway, lesson learned and now I am just trying to get my speed back.

On the last half mile a 44 year-old female caught up with me and passed me but I hung with her because I may have lost my run but I was not going to lose my pride. So In the last stretch I put in my final kick and heard Dante yell and I knew I had her. I got her by a few seconds and was able to keep my pride. I mean no offense to 44-year-old women, (especially because, Linda, the overall female winner is 44 and kicks my doopa all the time) but I just couldn’t let it happen. Overall my run time was nothing special but I was really happy to know I still had a final kick in me.

Post race
Warm down:

Marybeth, my roommate, did her first triathlon today!! She won first timers!!! We are so proud of her. Triathetes better watch out she is talking about buying a bike (she borrowed Nelly, my road bike) and doing another tri soon.

Last updated: 2008-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:06 | 437 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 5/~300
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Ocean swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:50
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:19 | 13 miles | 22.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 9/~300
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:29 | 03.1 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 11/~300
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-09 4:29 PM

Subject: Loggerhead Triathlon

2008-08-09 10:50 PM
in reply to: #1592256

Subject: RE: Loggerhead Triathlon

This was my first triathalon and loved it!  I certainly did not come in Top-10, but finished below 1:30, which was well below my goal of 2:00 for a first timer.  I found the swim to be a breeze given the calm conditions this morning, the bike (well I need to shave some time off here), and the run was a bit brutal as I had only trained on a treadmill indoors.  The back-to-back events were a little more difficult than anticipated, but gives me a great sense of what to expect on future attempts.

I found Loggerhead to be very well organized.  The guy who conducted the first timer seminar gave some great advice for the transitions, which helped quite a bit.  I didn't realize that I needed to get the numbers painted, nor obtain the chip for the ankle.  OK, I'm a novice.

The Loggerhead triathalon is definitely one of many to come.  I am so motivated now that I'm ready for the next one.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Loggerhead Triathlon Rss Feed