United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 31s
Overall Rank = 268/795
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 45/92
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15, had a bagle, banana and a couple of cups of coffee. I only live about 1 mile from the event so we just biked to the event.
Event warmup:

did a 5 minute jog and probably 200-300 yards in the lake.
Swim
  • 26m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had some problems navigating on the out portion of the swim. I did a better job on the way back in though so all in all an average swim.
What would you do differently?:

I struggle a bit with navigtion when the buoys are on the right because I like to breath on my left. So the obvious fix would be to put more time in breathing out of the right so I can do it in a race comfortably.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

I have no idea what took me so long in T1 but if felt like I was in there for 10 minutes.

I need to get a quick mount for my garmin so I don't have to waste time putting it on after the swim.
Bike
  • 57m 25s
  • 21.38 miles
  • 22.34 mile/hr
Comments:

A fairly uneventful bike other then I hated to see a cyclist being loaded into an ambulance around mile 10. I couldn't tell what happened but the guy/gal was on a board with a neck brace. hopefully it wasn't as serious as it looked.

I had a very long week at work (very little sleep and tons of stress) so I didn't have a full tank of gas going into the race. Knowing this I should have dialed it back a bit to ensure I had something left for the run.

I had to do it over again, I'd shoot for a 21mph avg to try and save something for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

My legs were very wobbly after this bike - I almost fell over twice in t2 trying to get my shoes on. At that point I knew it was going to be a tough run.
Run
  • 46m
  • 5.1 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a good run. My HR was fine I just had no energy to push the pace. As I mentioned above, the week leading up to the race was terrible. A lot of nights with 3-5 hours of sleep coupled with lots of stress and I just didn't have the desire to push.

I hate to say but about half way through the run I just decided I didn't care and I just wanted to finish. I think i was more mentally drained then physically drained.

HTFU!?!?
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed some water and waited for my wife and friends to finish.

Unfortunately one of my friends had a very long day due to a flat out on the course and he didn't have the tools to change it himself. However, 1 guy gave him air, another guy gave him a tube, 1 guy gave him the tools and the last guy stopped and helped him change the tire!

How great is this sport that all these folks stopped and offered help knowing it would hurt their time??

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just a bad week leading up to the race.

Event comments:

The packet pickup on thursday made me nervous as it was a bit unorganized, but I thought the race itself was wonderful. The bodymarking, chip pickup, process was great. Lots of food after the race,etc.

I have no complaints.

Last updated: 2008-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:26 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/92
Overall: 182/795
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:25 | 21.38 miles | 22.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/92
Overall: 130/795
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 168 Max HR: 177
Wind: Little
Course: One large loop with lots fo turns. The course if flat with just a couple small rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:00 | 05.1 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 67/92
Overall: 514/795
Performance: Below average
Avg HR: 166 Max HR: 175
Course: Square around Turtle Lake
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-10 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Subject: Turtleman Triathlon

2008-08-10 8:30 AM
in reply to: #1592629

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: RE: Turtleman Triathlon

Great job out there and I am right the re with breathing on your left.  I try to stay to the inside of the course so I have people to "rough navigate" off of...  got out there a bit on my own on the way out, but worked it out on the return.   Same thing though, I really need to spend some time breathing on my weak side.  Great race and that was awesome about your friend and the flat, and what he did at the end to return the gear.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turtleman Triathlon Rss Feed