General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT AG National Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-10 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: USAT AG National Championships

So, I qualified yesterday.  Now I have to make plans.  What advice can people give a first timer...

1.  Recommendations on where to stay (Hotels)

2.  Is the swim wetsuit legal?

3.  What is the weather like?  Does it rain as often as I hear?

4.  What is the course like?

5.  What is the best way to get your bike out there?

This will be my first tri where I am flying to my destination. Help please.   Oh, and I would have checked the USAT site if it worked.

Who else is registered?  Any BT Gatherings?

Edited by velocomp 2008-08-10 2:53 PM

2008-08-10 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1592879

Master
portland, or
Subject: RE: USAT AG National Championships
Congratulations!

1. Recommendations on where to stay (Hotels)

What are your preferences? There's not a lot of choices in Forest Grove. The Grand Lodge is a nice unique place, but you might have a tough time getting a room there. Hillsboro is 15-25 minutes away with lots of choices such as Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn, etc. Downtown Portland is going to give you the most opportunities from 5 star hotels, to major chains, to small boutique, etc. From downtown Portland to the race site is 40-50 minutes depending on traffic.

2. Is the swim wetsuit legal?

Yes

3. What is the weather like? Does it rain as often as I hear?

In September it's more often then not sunny and mild (mornings in the 50's - daytime in the 70's-80's). But we will get some rain in September, and we'll occasionally get a 90+ day in September, so be prepared for anything/everything.

4. What is the course like?

Hills. There's about a 1/4 mile flat stretch on the bike that we'll do twice. There's a long hill that we'll do twice, and roller after roller. I think most of the hills are 200-400', so nothing difficult.

There's nothing flat on the run.

5. What is the best way to get your bike out there?

I fly with my bike and have always had good luck. I don't know if USAT is offering any kind of bike transport options with local bike shops. I can suggest a tri shop in Hillsboro if you're interested.

Hagg Lake is a beautiful venue and was one of the stops on the old Bud Light USTS series in the 80's and early 90's.

I hope to see you there.

scott
2008-08-11 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
thanks for the info.  Anyone else got some info/advice?
2008-08-11 10:21 AM

User image

Regular
Rowan University - Health & Exercise Science Major
congrats on heading to AG Nationals! i was wonder how you know you qualified, as i believe that yesterday i may have qualified but im not 100% sure of that.

I finished 3/15 in my AG and 8/265 overall.
2008-08-11 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1594097

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Qualification is top 33% of your age group at a qualifying race.  I believe that these are help on a regional basis.  For example, one of the two Southeast Regional Qualifier races was the Chattanooga Oly last month.

For a complete list see: http://usatriathlon.org/content/index/1679

Nice job on the race finish!

roadrunner1659 - 2008-08-11 11:21 AM congrats on heading to AG Nationals! i was wonder how you know you qualified, as i believe that yesterday i may have qualified but im not 100% sure of that. I finished 3/15 in my AG and 8/265 overall.

2008-08-11 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Hagg Lake is a great venue. The water will be warm (not too warm) and every time I've swam there the water was calm. I can't say the visibility is that great, but for tri swims that isn't an issue. The bike is a challenging up and down course, but nothing that will force you out of the saddle. The asphalt is in very good condition. There is very little traffic.  I don't think there is one section of the run that is flat (is on the same road as the bike) but the hardest thing for me was this very short steep hill coming out  of the transition. It is on the exit from the parking lot onto the road. It isn't much longer than 50'

As for the weather it is anyone's guess. Our summer (stops drizzling/raining) generally around the end of June to the first week in July. We then enter a very dry season until . . . .  depends on the year. I think winter (drizzle/rain) does not set in until the middle of October. Last year it seemed we had good weather until November, but there are also those years when we get a stretch of rain in September, followed by a stretch of rain followed by. . . .

You can be sure of one thing about the weather, it is not as bad as everyone (outside Oregon) thinks. Just go to weather.com or the NWS website and take a look at the averages.

As for hotels I can't help you much with that one. I like to be close to a venue to get out on the course the day before. That puts you in Forest Grove/Hillsboro. If you want to see more of Portland, don't be afraid to stay closer to downtown. It's an easy drive out. I hoping to be there myself. Best of luck to you.

2008-08-11 9:00 PM
in reply to: #1593045

Regular
North Plains, Oregon
There is also a Best Western on TV (Tualatin Valley) Hwy just east of the Grand Lodge. The water will be way, way, way down from June when the last year's nationals were held. It's fine for westuits right now.

Check out the Orenco and Tansabourne areas for lodging. Many restuarants in Tanasbourne area, coffee shops on every corner and in the stores, Whole Foods, Athletes Lounge on Cornelius Pass.
2008-08-22 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA
I am in the process of getting my logistics for Portland.  My biggest problem is that I somehow twisted my knee on the track (yes, I  know it flat and oval, but I think I actually hurt it while running on the steeply sloped Maine roads while on vacation).  I took some time off and it felt great.  Then last night after a pleasing 7.5 mi run, I twisted the wrong way while at my son's football practice, creating great noticeable discomfort (note pain).  So I might pull the plug and lose the entry fee. BOOO.
2008-08-22 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Sorry to hear that you'll be sidelined. Take care of that knee. Twisting injuries can be problematic and slow to recover from. Ease back into your training. If pain/swelling persists over time you might consider seeing a doctor.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT AG National Championships Rss Feed