United States
3 Disciplines
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 53s
Overall Rank = 83/192
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/14
Pre-race routine:

Unfortunately my pre-routine was crap. I did minimal training and never really got focused.
Event warmup:

I lost the opportunity to do a warm up swim as I wasn't paying close attention as to when I could actually 'warm-up' My heat started 40 minutes after the first heat, so I didn't want to 'warm-up' 40 minutes early. Then there wasn't sufficient time to warm up after the heats started entering the water.
Swim
  • 18m 3s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Every stroke along the shoreline pulled up a handful of weeds. I've never competed in a group start OWS before. So I really wasn't prepared for the survival aspect. Turns around the buoys got tight and I found more pressure to fight to swim rather than focus on breathing and stroke. I sucked at this swim today!! My calves started cramping about half way through and I ended up doing the beautiful backstroke... thus my wonderful time! I didn't swim straight and constantly had to realign myself. I gotta work on this!
What would you do differently?:

EVERYTHING! Practice More. I swam 10 hours the week before my last tri... How many hours the week before this tri??? None. Thus the importance of practice and consistency. This was undoubtedly my worst 500 yd swim ever.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

T1 went well! I was able to regain focus after the swim and get in and out in a decent time. I decided not to wear socks (preplanned this). I had alternate plans about wearing a shirt during the bike and run depending how I felt after the swim... I worked up enough heat during the swim to go shirtless for the rest of the race - Oh Yeah!

I felt good about T1. I need to work more on my transitions to improve my times, but I felt good about this!
Bike
  • 40m 51s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I got on it quick for the bike in hopes of fixing the lost time swimming. I pushed hard. I decided (pre-race) that I would push hard for the first 7-8 miles and then move into cadence riding for the duration. But after the turn around I felt good keeping a higher speed and decided not to slow that little bit into cadence. I got passed many times by Cervelo (and the like) bikes. I want my new bike now!

I should follow pre-race plans and stick to them. They work in training - apply them during a race. Switch to cadence riding and save the legs for later. Drink more water during the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

The guy who bike racked next to me left T2 with his bag and stuff into my transition area. I didn't throw it out of my way like the voices in my head told me to. I racked my bike backwards, slipped my bike shoes off and my running shoes on and I was off. I loved hearing my wife and daughter yelling and cheering me on! T2 went well also. I still kicked butt with less than a minute!

Practice getting my shoes off before T2. I can now see how much more that would have helped.
Run
  • 24m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good going into the run. My legs were a bit tight because of my last minute decision to ride hard rather than ride cadence for the last few miles of the bike. After a mile or so the legs felt good. Got to the turn around and took 2 waters, one for my body and one for my inards. I definitely felt stronger returning from the turn around. I was able to keep up a good pace. ran for a little bit with Trixie and then fell behind. Who can keep up with her, seriously. Near the end I saw a leg marking of 25 - S. So I had to beat him! I hit the downhill trail hard then onto the pavement. I passed him and hear his feet hitting hard behind me, I had no choice but to push even harder. My hamstring on my left leg started to cramp during the last quarter mile - no way am I gonna let him pass me! Then I saw it - FINISH. I knew where it was, but seeing it is always rewarding. I never let the guy behind me past. That felt good because I am sure he was trying to get back past me!

***PR PR PR PR PR***

Again, stick to the pre-race training plan. I've had a couple good runs recently, so I knew I could push a bit harder to get a good time.
Post race
Warm down:

Some SERIOUS stretching. I even passed by the water, HEED and nutrition first because I was cramping so bad. Stretched out for about 10 minutes then back to get some eats!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of proper training. I want to do an Olympic next year. While this was only my 2nd Tri, it was my worst swim ever. So I can see now the true importance of sticking to a plan!

Event comments:

3D did a good job. We waited for a few slower people to finish before the awards ceremony. Who am I to complain though? I stuck around to watch everyone win their awards.

Did I mention that I PR'd my run!

Last updated: 2008-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:03 | 500 meters | 03m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/14
Overall: 178/192
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Swam along the shoreline for a bit then out into the lake to the second set of buoys and then back to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:51 | 12 miles | 17.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 54/192
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. A few climbs but nothing to worry about. Very few potholes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:03 | 03.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 42/192
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly paved, but a few trail areas and dirt roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-10 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: Lansing Legislator - Sprint

2008-08-10 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1593142

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: RE: Lansing Legislator - Sprint

Wow, two great things came from this race.  A running PR, and you learned something....

Reading your report made me wish I was there racing along with everyone.

2008-08-10 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1593142

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: RE: Lansing Legislator - Sprint
Hey, did you PR on your run?  Great job, Jeremy! It was so good to meet your girls, too. You have a beautiful family with one more soon!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lansing Legislator - Sprint Rss Feed