General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for a First Timer @ Sprint TRI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-10 8:24 PM

New user

Subject: Tips for a First Timer @ Sprint TRI
Going to do my first sprint Tri in one week. Can someone provide a top 5 list of tips or things to do or not do. warmup suggestions, etc.

Thanks!

2008-08-10 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1593220

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Tips for a First Timer @ Sprint TRI
Practice your transitions under conditions that resemble the real thing.
2008-08-10 8:41 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
1. x2 on the transitions. Can lose a lot of time there by not being organized.

2. Also if the swim is not a strength would want to get there early enough to swim a little ahead of time. Tends to calm the nerves a bit.

3. Don't try anything new on race day. That includes eats. Don't want stomach issues to slow you down.

4. Run your own race. Unless you're one of the few you're not going to win so just worry about yourself and not anyone and everyone who passes you. This sport is a bit humbling as folks stream past you.

5. Have fun, enjoy and don't forget to smile at the finish!
2008-08-10 11:46 PM

Regular
South Carolina

Follow a check list of what to bring to race.

Smile for cameras.

Go at your pace, even though it will be hard at beginning of swim with crowd.

Especially with swim, relax (and swim outside to avoid as much contact as possible.

Enjoy the expirience.

2008-08-11 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO

#1 - Read the rules at USAT and know them inside and out! Also read the "etiquette" section there.

#2 - Don't change anything on race day; race the way you practiced

#3 - Use a  checklist so that your brain doesn't ponder all night long about "what am I forgetting?"

#4 - Follow your race plan (which implies that you HAVE a race plan) and don't get suckered into racing someone else's race.

#5 - Remember that you are there to have FUN!

Edited by lodewey 2008-08-11 8:03 AM
2008-08-11 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1593500

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
likeastrike - 2008-08-10 12:46 PM

Smile for cameras.

Especially with swim, relax (and swim outside to avoid as much contact as possible.

Enjoy the expirience.

If you smile, you're not pushing hard enough!  

2008-08-11 8:18 AM

Don't forget to have fun, and just finish.
2008-08-11 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1593710

Elite
Laurium, MI

1.  Don't think about it so much.

What will get into trouble is sweating the details and losing focus of the big picture.  This is a sprint race and your first.  If your transition isn't 100% the way you practiced, or you are 2 min slow out of the water, its not the end of the world, so stop thinking about it.  You know how to swim, how to ride and how to run, so do them to the best of your ability.

2. don't fear pain

I'm not going to lie.  It will hurt.  Suck it up and run.

3. Don't rush through transitions

Similar to #1.  If you rush transition to get out 2 seconds faster, you will waste 2 minutes when you drop stuff or forget stuff and have to go back.  It also increases the chance you do something stupid like put your helmet on backwards, or never take off your goggles or start running with your helmet still on.  Also don't think just because you practiced it at home that you will have no problem doing it in a race.  Coming out of that water, your heart rate will be up, your hands shaking and a desire to just get the hell out of dodge as fast as possible.

4. Don't look around and see what others are doing and assume you should be doing the same

This is a highly individual sport.  Some stuff works for some and not for others.  Just because you see someone who looks fast doing something, doesn't mean it will be fast for you.  If you want to try it, do it at home, not in the race.  Also remember that there are a lot of people who don't know what they are doing.  As I mentioned earlier, you know how to swim, ride and run, so just do it.

2008-08-11 8:55 AM

User image

GB
Great tips...keep 'em comin!
2008-08-11 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

At my first race someone in my bike row had tied a big Happy Face balloon at the end of the rack.  I was so grateful for that balloon when I entered the transition area.  Depending on how large your race is, there will be at least dozens and dozens of bike racks and having that balloon made my row much easier to spot.  Especially if you are nervous and don't remember your race number.  I have seen this done at all of my races and keep wishing I would bring a balloon for my own rack!

Have fun and smile for the cameras! 

2008-08-11 4:38 PM
in reply to: #1593746

User image

New user

5 week count to my first...this thread is GREAT...helps calm the shakes a bit!

2008-08-11 5:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL

In the swim take the buoys wide.  i got hung up on the rope my first tri.

Don't do anything you didn't plan.  I added nutrition on my first tri and ended up dry heaving throughout the ride and run.

Have fun.

Practice your transitions and treat it like a race.  Many times I stand at transition wondering if I have everything I need.  

Don't be afraid to ask questions, if you have a question, when setting up transition.  Everyone had a their first race, so most people will be willing to answer a question or help out.

Edited by flmonkey_gbp 2008-08-11 5:02 PM
2008-08-11 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1593726

User image

Pro
Without house
tri_d00d - 2008-08-11 8:10 AM
likeastrike - 2008-08-10 12:46 PM

Smile for cameras.

Enjoy the expirience.

If you smile, you're not pushing hard enough!  

A grimace can look amazingly like a smile...

2008-08-11 5:13 PM
in reply to: #1593735

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Race # belt and speedlaces for shoes (or any other brand). Those two things will make transitions a lot easier.

Do not look behind you after getting out of the water, just worry about the transition ahead and having a good ride.

Depending on size of race, balance getting there too early or too late. I had 1st race this weekend and two hours early just gave me too much to think about. Could have done all I needed to do in 45 minutes or less.

As much as you think you finished your "bathroom business" before you left home, give time for a porta-potty trip.

As mentioned earlier, that first mile of the run after getting off the bike will seam like hell. But get your HR back down and you will actually start to feel better during the run as you progress. I know my times per mile got better after I got HR down and found good pace then gave it all I had last 1/4 mile.

Oh yes, and have fun, I left the watch at home this weekend and was glad I did.
2008-08-11 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

Based on my first race a year ago...

1. Practice transitions a lot in the week leading up so that you don't have to overthink it on race day.

2. Know how to change a flat and do basic bike maintenence. A blown tire on race morning almost derailed my first race! Along those lines...allow way more time than you think you'll need to get ready and get to the race. That buffer zone allowed me the time I needed to fix my bike and still make it to the start line!

3. Swim in conditions similar to your race so that you know what to expect.

4. Bring a camera or a person to take pictures of your incredible day! Along the same line, throughout the race, take note of all the great people and scenery around you. You only do your first tri once and you want to soak up all of it!

5. Focus on the task at hand. I found that thinking about the entire race was overwhelming. But if I could focus on what I was doing at that given moment and block out the rest, I did better. In other words, when you're at the startline, don't even THINK about the bike, run or even transitions. Think only about the swim. Toward the end of the swim, start to think about transtion...etc.

GOOD LUCK!

2008-08-11 7:58 PM

User image

Master
PA

1.  As others have said, don't sweat the small stuff.  If you are not finishing top 3 in your age group, 5 mins slower or faster is pretty much immaterial to you when you're new.

2.  Figure out if you're ditching socks or wearing them.  I am fine to bike without socks, but got a huge blister when I did the run w/o socks.  I have learned I prefer to put them on in T2 b/c my feet are mostly dry by then, as opposed to dripping went in T1.  If you're planning to put them on in T1, practice putting them on when you are soaking wet.

3.  Enduralytes have helped me tremendously with calf cramping.  I take them before the race and then when I'm on the bike.

4.  Start hydrating a good day before.  Don't forget to get a fair amount of water in the morning of the race.

5.  Throw a role of tp in your bag.  Portopotties often run out.

2008-08-11 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

All good tips, here are some that I think are good anytime:

1) Get there early, find a spot in transition then learn where you enter and exit for the bike and the run. Figure out where your bike is from the swim entrance. This will help your nerves and speed by being familiar with the layout.

2) Nothing new (food, drinks, samples). Don't worry about your calories so much. Sprints are short enough you may feel tired but you won't bonk. This includes mindless sipping at your beverage bottle and then hitting the water feeling bloated. Trust me, a little thirsty will feel better than bloat and cramps.

3)Keep your transition area clean and neat. No lotions, potions tool boxes etc. just your bike and run stuff.

4)Remember how you got there early? Don't be afraid of a long warm up in the water. It will help, Swim out from the swim exit and then look at it to see how it looks from the water. It may not make you faster but familiarity will help keep you calm.

5) leave yourself plenty of time for oopsies (lost swim cap, popped tire, etc.)

2008-08-12 6:40 AM

User image

Expert
Computerland
1. Practice some bike to run bricks (i.e. do a 45 min bike ride followed by a 10 min run). This will get your legs used to the heavy feeling they have running right after bike riding.
2. Pace yourself. Don't do the swim or bike ride too hard. Save it for the run and final sprint to the finish.
3. HAVE FUN! After my first triathlon, I was addicted. You will most likely be too
2008-08-12 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
Glens Falls, NY
Great tips all!!! Keep 'em coming!! I'm doing my first full tri (Finger Lakes Sprint) on Sunday 9/21. I've done the bike and run legs of an OLY, but have never swam in a race. Just want to finish!! lol!!!
2008-08-12 9:52 AM

New user

THANKS TO ALL OF you for the tips. Very helpful. I come from a running background and have talked about a TRI for a year or two now and the only thing holding me back was the swim. However, since it is only a 350m pool swim my main goal is to just get through the swim and catch em on the bike and RUN! Everyone is right, this is the very first one and I need to enjoy instead of being so competitive about time! Thanks again
2008-08-14 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
I'll add one - thank as many volunteers as you can.

2008-08-14 9:21 AM

Make sure you taper your workouts and rest up.  Get plenty of sleep two nights before the event, in case you don't sleep much the night before (always my problem before a big event).

Don't try anything new on race day or even before the race.  This is not the week to try a new Yoga class.

And don't be intimidated by all the experienced folks on their $5000 tri-bikes.  If they were really great they would be in Beijing right now. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for a First Timer @ Sprint TRI Rss Feed