General Discussion Race Reports! » Hansgrohe Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hansgrohe Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Acworth, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Productions, LLC
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 30s
Overall Rank = 48/571
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/63
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:05, headed out around 4:30 since Kraig had to be at body marking at 5:15. Good thin we left early, the Hwy entrance was closed and our detour took a bit longer. Got a close parking spot, pumped tires and took a quick spin with the new aero helmet. Set up transition. I had a fantastic spot and we right on the aisle. Ended up with only 2 or 3 bikes on my rack in the end..really, that many people sign up and don't show?? Sat around bored with Meredith and waited to head to the beach around 7am. Met some others on the Goody Team and took a few pictures with them. They were all really cool.
Event warmup:

Nada.
Swim
  • 06m 18s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well. Started front and center and fell into a good path with little 'traffic' from the start. I think there were 3-5 others that I could see around me and we were all about the same speed. A few moved ahead after the first bouy, but I still felt like I had a good pace. It started to get crowded about half way through the swim, but not bad until after the last turn. I think I was in a sea of blue caps. It wasn't horrible, but I had to use more effort navigate around people. Kept swimming past people that had started walking and started to run out when I hit sand.
What would you do differently?:

Try to keep swimming instead of pause to navigate around people. Swim pace was the same as last year's race, but 2 seconds shorter. I think my goal was right at 6:18..so I'm happy with the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Pretty good T1, I think I fiddled with the aero helmet a few extra seconds, but nothing major. Goal for T1 was 1:15, so I beat that.

Ride with a new piece of equipment 1-2 times before a race. Not a biggie.
Bike
  • 40m 8s
  • 13.36 miles
  • 19.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Arrrgghhhh, I'm kinda annoyed at this bike. Overall, the ride itself was good and I felt strong. I've started using my Garmin as my bike computer since I've had issues with my magnet reading lately. But today, I didn't hit the start button right out of T1. It wasn't too long, but maybe 3:00 after I got on the bike- I didn't think it was a huge deal. Pushed hard and tried to get around a lot of the people that were riding 2 and 3 wide- lovely. I'm sure I sounded mean yelling 'on your left'. But really, ziggzagging isn't cool when you're on your bike. Kept working at picking up my pace to my goal pace. I really love this bike course, it has just enough hills to keep it interesting and it's fast. Around mile 4-ish my chain decides to drop into the small ring. Magically. I was about to climb a small hill and it threw me off a second, but I was just glad it didn't drop. Dealt with it and re-adjusted it at the top of the hill. Once we hit Hwy 41, I just tried to go all out. I was happy to finally see 20.4, my goal was 20/mph or 39:00. Overall, I think I only got passed maybe 3-4 times- nice being Katie June- the fastest 15 yr old ever. I was happy it took her till mile 12. Finished the bike with the Garmin reading 20.3-20.4 so I was very happy with that. I think.

Arrr, not quite sure what happened with my bike pace. I had my Garmin pace being a decent amount faster. As much as I hate to say it, I'd have pushed more if I knew I was going to be under 20. I guess the discrepancy is the first few minutes before I hit start. Need to remember to do that in Clearwater to ensure an accurate split. Also, Lisa B had the bike course long, so I'm claiming her distance. Even though I missed a few min on my GPS, I was still over 13 anyways. So what would I do differently? Hit start out of T1 and/or don't rely on watch/GPS completely. Just ride harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Good T2. The 1 other bike that showed up on my rack wasn't back so I had lots of room to swing bike around to rack it.

Nada- goal was 1:00 and I beat it.
Run
  • 33m 8s
  • 3.75 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was just ok. I did run the whole time, I still consider this an accomplishment for me. Plus, I swear the RD tried to kill people with some of the hills. I'm sure they aren't bad for a typical runner, but I hate hills. At least they are relatively short. So my plan was just to keep running and no stopping. Just slowed my pace on the hills as needed. It worked well and I was still able to pick people off- even if they were in the older AG's. I carried 1 Fuel Belt bottle and passed by the water stops. I knew there would be club people there, so I tried not to look too miserable. It was really fun to hear everyone yelling for me! Hit mile 2 and just tried to keep up my pace. Around 2.25-2.5 I had 5:00 to hit my race goal. Sweet! Kept running, and running. Looked at my watch again and I was 5:00 over my goal time- WTF????? I'm not one to constantly watch my watch so I was totally confused but also knew we weren't on the same run route as the past years. Anyways..just kept going, not knowing where this would end and finally reached Elena who said the course was long- that was for sure! Finally hit the last street before downtown and I knew where I was again. Up the last hill and into the finish.

Ummm, it would be nice if they'd advertise that the run was long. They mentioned a detour in the run course, but forgot to say it would add over half a mile! I could have at least adjusted my goals! Oh well, my run goal was to run around 8:50 and I hit that. Last year my pace was 9:14...so at least it's an improvement! And I guess technically I still ht my run goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing besides talking to people, eating some food(including the chocolate fondue!) and walking 1.5 miles back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't really want to say not having an accurate pace on the bike limited me. It was a race, I should be going all out on the bike since I'm stronger on that that I am on the run. I guess the only limiter here was that I might still be recovering from Steelhead 70.3 last weekend. Still, I felt pretty good over all, just generally tired.

Event comments:

I really like this race, the bike course is fast, but with some small hills. And the run is challenging for me, but not too hard. I'm a bit annoyed that they didn't tell us the run was long, but I'm not sure what I would have done differently anyways. I guess this might be the last year ado this race for a few years, but I'll add it back to the schedule at some point for sure.

Last updated: 2007-11-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:18 | 400 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/63
Overall: 28/571
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 3-sided rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:08 | 13.36 miles | 19.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/63
Overall: 33/571
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Rolling and fast around Acworth
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:08 | 03.75 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/63
Overall: 158/571
Course: Hilly through residential area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-10 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Hansgrohe Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon

2008-08-10 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1593221

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Hansgrohe Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon
Looks like you had a great race today.  Congrats!  Especially after Steelhead.  Very impressive.  Glad you're not in my AG. :-)
2008-08-11 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
It's frustrating when they don't tell you that the course is long.  You had a great race anyway.  Good job.
2008-08-11 11:03 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Great job, Courtney ...

Btw, heard that the bike course was 13.88 miles and the run course ~3.7 miles?

2008-08-11 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Nice job! I totally agree with the people riding in the middle of the rode. That was frustrating. Anywho, great race. You have many more still ahead..I'm jealous
2008-08-11 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA
As always, you BRING IT on race day. You were awesome and you did well even though the course was long. WHihc is why you deserve to be at the Clearwater 70.3 Champs!!!

2008-08-11 1:55 PM

User image

Elite

GREAT RACE!  You Were TRUCKIN'!!!!

Your splits were insane fast!  Not to mention you're just coming off of Steelhead.

Great Job!!!

2008-08-11 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great race, and on a rest week after a great performane at steelhead. Great job sticking it out and having a solid 5k++ !
2008-08-11 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great race! I can't believe you had those awesome splits and finishing time and you were 10th in our AG! Where did all these mega-fast women come from?! Congrats on a great race!
2008-08-12 9:55 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Congrats on a great race. Way to go on your "no walking". That is a big one most people don't realize!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hansgrohe Acworth Women's Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed