United States
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 11s
Overall Rank = 74/391
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/72
Pre-race routine:

This is the race that almost wasn't. I'm sure most people reading this RR know about the whole bike accident/drama earlier this spring, so I won't go too much into that. But long story short, I had surgery on my shoulder to re-set a broken right clavicle 3 months ago, and I'm technically not supposed to be racing until the metal is taken out. The shoulder is still very weak, and I can't really do a lot of overhead motions (including freestyle swimming) for now. However, I was determined to do this race - it's my favorite race of the year, and would be my third time to do it. I had to miss every other race I'd planned on this year, and was determined to finish this one, even if it meant I had to do the whole swim one-armed (more on that later).
Event warmup:

No real warm up to this race - just went to site, set up, and waited around till it was time to go.
Swim
  • 12m 33s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

I didn't have any real goals for this swim, other than just to make it through. Of course, I didn't want to be super slow, but I couldn't have very high expecations. Turns out, I did just fine. I did a mix of one-armed freestyle and breaststroke (I actually was able to use my right arm some during the breaststroke portions). I would do about 30 strokes of each before switching off. It was pretty tiring, but luckily didn't last too long. I was so happy when I came out of the water at around 12:30. That was only 30 seconds slower than my first time at this race (during my first tri).
What would you do differently?:

um, not have a gimp arm? ;)
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

T1 was pretty uneventful - I just tried to be as fast as possible.

My left foot didn't get clipped in and it slipped off the pedal, causing my butt to slam into a part of the saddle. That didn't feel very good, so I'd probably not do that again. :) And I still want to learn the flying mount.
Bike
  • 32m 25s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Last year, on this bike course, I came so close to meeting a long-time goal of averaging 20 mph in a race (I hit 19.9). This year, I was woefully undertrained on the bike - I was only able to start riding again 3 weeks prior to the race, and I lost most of my bike fitness. On my training rides, I would average 14-16 mph usually, and would really struggle on the hills. So I was dreading this bike in some regard, but also looking forward to seeing what I could pull off with as little preparation as I had. My plan was to get in the big ring and just hammer my little legs off! I ended up doing ok - I did a lot of passing climbing up the small hills because a lot of the women weren't pushing them. But I also got passed quite a bit by women who started after me. I was very happy to see my friend Byron (aka geezerjock) out on the course, although he didn't recognize me on my road bike at first. Thanks for yelling at me with the bullhorn - I needed all the cheering I could get!

Nothing - I really pushed myself, and ended up with a 18.5 mph average, which was great because my big goal for the bike was to try to average 18 mph or better.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Boy, I was FAST in T2! I think it helped that my bike rack was close to the bike entrance, so I didn't have to run with it very far.

nothing
Run
  • 27m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan for this run was to just hang on after hammering the bike, and that's what I did. I tried to pace myself and keep it comfortable, but I also wanted to run a 9:00 pace or better. I picked a couple girls that looked strong to try to pace off of. I also remembered to avoid the nasty HEED at the aid stations this year. It was a pretty uneventful run overall.

I probably could have pushed more on this part. I need to do some speedwork to get faster on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Just got some water, did a little stretching, and found my friends. (Dave wasn't there - he was in the city, doing his first road race, which, incidentally, he placed 16th out of ~50 in :) ). I also looked for my three friends who were doing their first triathlons that day, and got to cheer them in. That was great!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hmmmm... being out of shape because of certain loose dogs early in the season comes to mind....

Event comments:

I really enjoy this race - it is a great venue, with a great RD, great volunteers, great support, I could go on and on... They also had Chris Cakes pancakes post-race! yum! I am very glad that I did this race!

Last updated: 2008-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:33 | 500 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/72
Overall: 0/391
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: counter-clockwise triangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:25 | 10 miles | 18.51 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90?
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:45 | 03.11 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Course: out and back on a trail along the lakeside
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-10 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: WIN for KC Women's Triathlon

2008-08-10 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1593263

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: WIN for KC Women's Triathlon
Yikes, one arm swimming! That's hardcore. I promise to never complain about a swim again. Great job gutting it out.
2008-08-10 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS (Like the OC but OP)

You know... I had rehearsed all kinds of lines to yell at you on the bullhorn but I was looking for a Cervelo with aerobars and you show up on a roadbike with no aerobars.  So here is what I was going to yell on the bullhorn to get you going faster:

"Woof, woof, aarf, aarf arrF.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

2008-08-11 9:02 AM
in reply to: #1593386

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
geezerjock - 2008-08-10 10:04 PM

You know... I had rehearsed all kinds of lines to yell at you on the bullhorn but I was looking for a Cervelo with aerobars and you show up on a roadbike with no aerobars.  So here is what I was going to yell on the bullhorn to get you going faster:

"Woof, woof, aarf, aarf arrF.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

HAHAHA! Although then I might've had to run over you.
2008-08-11 9:56 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Yaaay! So awesome that you met ALL of your goals for this race. Very proud of you!!!
2008-08-11 11:36 AM

New user

GOOO LINDA!! We had a blast. I am so glad to spend time with you and that dude you hang with. PS due to my lack of knowledge and desire to be a cheapskate I bought Nike bike shoes for $25...regularly $89. What a bargain...found out today they are for mountain biking. Could use a suggestion on what kind of shoes and pedals to buy for Olathe. Ellen AKA Monstermom

2008-08-12 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
You did awesome. Most people wouldn't have even tried. And not only did you get out there, but you turned in great times in all three legs of the race.

I'm really proud of you!!
2008-08-12 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
MA

Nice job toughing that out. Here's hoping your shoulder was completely up to it. That's the sort of thing you won't know for a few days.
2008-08-12 3:30 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
LINDA!!! Welcome back to the racing world! So glad to see you did this race. Great work. How's everything? Good I hope!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » WIN for KC Women's Triathlon Rss Feed