Y-Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/31
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the base, picked up my chip and stuff and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Got about waist deep in the water it was getting warm and it felt awesome.
Swim
  • 15m 44s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Terrible swim. I just got caught up in the farily strong current and kept getting knocked off course. Had a hard time getting out of the waves. Everyone was getting up when it was chest deep and running, I tried to keep swimming. The waved kept pulling me back in and it was pointless. I probably lost a few minutes from that.
Also, when ever there is a beach start I wait until almost everyone is in the water for some lame reason. I don't know why
What would you do differently?:

Wear a wetsuit, that was a poor decision on my part.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

I missed my bike, ran right by it then I ran right up to another look alike cannondale. Very unhappy with my swim and feeling disorineted, I don't know what was going on. Then I took forever mounting my bike, my friend has a video of it and like 15 people run by me. Sigh. WTF is my problem.

Keep it together. Learn to moount my bike w/o reading war and peace.
Bike
  • 59m 10s
  • 19.08 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Ah, finally on my bike and things are going better. I feel really good about my ride. My goal was to do it in less than an hour and I did. There was one spot where I got boxed in by some cars. BOO, I missed a fast descent cos there were cars on the narrow road and I didn't want to pass them. Then I kinda slowed down on the way into transition. Probably lost a minute or two total but then I kept thinking eh, probably for the best. If I ride this all out I wont be able to run at all. I wanted to hammer and I did. Not thrilled with the power data however, I was hoping to see a bit higher NP. eh life goes on.

Ride more smoothly VI was not too bad.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Much better then T1. Ran in the bike shoes quite a ways. My rack was as far from the Bike in as possible GRR. Oh well. Racked the bike swapped the shoes grabbed my race belt, visor and garmin and got the heck outta dodge. Oh, the yankz are great, should have gotten those sooner.

get tri shoes and learn to get out of them on the bike and then learn a flying dismount. However I am one of the most clumsy people on the planet, every day I ride clipless and don't tip over is a victory. To this day I'm amazed I can do it. So maybe it's in the greater tri community's best interest I just have slower transitions.
Run
  • 29m 19s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Man it got hot. My legs hurt. This was not fun. The run started uphill out of tranistion. God that was like pure torture. I got to the first aid station and I felt much better after dumping water all over myself. I just kinda gutted it out as best I could. Everyone in the world passed me. I passed one dde walking and he started running and passed me.

I suck at running so bad that when I pass people they get motivated to run faster and pass me "if that chick can pass me...god life is bad" heheheh

On the bright side, I suck a lot less then I used to :) and hey, I am not the worlds worst cyclist and I can swim well enough to not drown. Things could be worse right?

Oh and thanks to El Heffe for cheering for me that rocked :D

Not pose for the camera. What a loser.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran into Mrs. and Mr. USMC and chatted with them a bit. Will See y'all at Oceanside :) Then ate a banana chunk, wasn't too hungry. Packed up my transistion and waited for results. Then I went to Nytro to bike shop :D

Ok, that was more of an accident since we were going down to La Jolla to visit friends and my chauffer/sherpa wanted to stop for coffee. We were close to Encinitas and I was like "hey, lets go to Nytro" Next thing you know Im test riding a new tri bike....weird how that happens...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Spending the last 6 months training for a HIM and not sprints. Not being Triathlete skinny. For being in the game for a year I'll take a solid MOP finish :) This seems to be a longer race suited to people like me. Short swim, long bike, short run :) however it does attract some fasties since it's such a fantastically run race.

can I just say....Marines are freaking HAWT. I wanted to take one (or more) home with me.

Event comments:

All those things above, this race should get a 100 for. Never have I beed to such an incredibly run race. and I'm not just saying that becasue it was staffed with hotties. Seriously, well run race with tons of volunteers. I will do this race again and again and again....

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:44 | 500 yards | 03m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:10 | 19.08 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Performance: Good
no HR NP 158 IF .94 VI 1.08
Wind:
Course: Fun, mostly flat with a few rollers.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:19 | 02.9 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Mile 1 10:32 10:38
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-10 9:00 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-08-10 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1593295

Veteran
Douglas County
Subject: RE: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon

Fun race report--- I felt like I was reliving my own race right there.    That swim was just brutal.....the waves were relentless and that first buoy really did seem to get farther and farther away. 

Anyways, really great bike split despite a hard swim, and great race overall.  I think that MOP in San Diego is pretty impressive!

2008-08-10 9:54 PM

2008-08-10 10:55 PM
in reply to: #1593372

Veteran
Douglas County

Sorry, double posted......

Edited by mtngirlincali 2008-08-10 10:57 PM
2008-08-10 10:55 PM
in reply to: #1593372

Veteran
Douglas County
Well, I was with the group of 3  in uniform on the rack, but I was sporting the greenish blue butterfly uniform from last year since this wasn't a team race and we were more or less on our own to wear what we wanted....pink and black makes me look fat.    j/k!!  Did you have your splits on your watch?  I was so disgusted with my swim that I never checked anything except my actual bike time on the Garmin. 

Edited by mtngirlincali 2008-08-10 10:56 PM
2008-08-10 11:27 PM
in reply to: #1593446

2008-08-11 12:07 AM

Master
San Diego, CA
You did a great job on a fairly tough course. The current knocked a lot of people off course and by the time the ladies got off and running it was warming up a lot. Way to muscle through the bike ... great average MPH, 19+MPH is awesome, you totally cranked it. Jeff pointed you out just before the race but I missed out on saying hi. Congrats on your finish. And yes, the run was warm and the long slow climb out of transition wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
2008-08-11 3:44 AM

Melon Presser
Great job, mixie! Sssssssssssmokin' bike split! Sorry about the swim, but that is a real toughie and you did well in that scenario. I love this race, too ... hope to be there next year!
2008-08-11 1:33 PM

Expert
Oceanside, CA
It was soooo great to see you. DH said he felt like he sucked running out of transition too, so don't feel too bad. I can only imagine how weird it felt trying to get your running legs into gear up that hill.

And don't forget there were several women who turned back and NEVER made it through the waves, so you were a success there.

Hugs!

Edited by MrsUSMC 2008-08-11 1:35 PM
2008-08-11 5:19 PM

Expert
Verna you rocked! It was great to see you out there. Did you hear me yell at you on the bike course? Probably not, you had your head down and were cranking. So are you getting a new bike......?
2008-08-12 1:13 AM

Master
Long Beach, CA
Verna, Great job out there this weekend. I so wanted to do this race, but it was my anniversary and all! Your bike rocked! Great job and that! And, I'm glad there were hot marines to watch!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed