General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sylvania, Ohio
United States
Elite Endeavors
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/20
Pre-race routine:

got up a little late. ate a PBJ and glass of soy milk and some strawberries. this is my hometown and my mom still lives here so I could leave the kiddos in bed and made the 4 minute drive over to the race round 6:45.
Event warmup:

Very Little
Helped my wife get her stuff in place
Ran for about 5 minutes - didnt get a chance to swim at all prior to start
Swim
  • 28m 29s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Picked up packet on Saturday. Water temp 81 degrees. Only twice in previous 23 years has the race been wetsuit legal. Didnt bother to pack wetsuit. Temp dropped 20 degrees overnight with lotsa rain. Race day water temp just under 78. Damn. That would have been some easy cheap minutes. The course is a big rectangle. The start is on the small end which means the first turn buoy is 550M away. This is an easy start because everyone can spread across 25M of beach and still swim a straight line. Everyone is pretty strung out by the first turn so not much fighting/kicking/etc. I felt ood during the swim. The only issue is that the sun blinded (no tinted goggles here) you on the right on the first leg and on the left on the back leg.
What would you do differently?:

always bring the wetsuit because almost never might be today.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

first time i had issues with getting a shirt over a wet body. it was very cool out (mid sixties) so I wanted the shirt. Also feet were very sandy. No wash basins on the way back from the beach. Race director said she didnt think they were important.

get the sand off my toes. get my shirt on
Bike
  • 1h 21m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

well kids I guess if you dont really even get on a bike in the previous 14 days prior to a race and you werent even a good cyclist before then you will stink it up. i stunk it up. it was really cool this morning and i swam without a wetsuit. My legs were very leaden for the first 4-5 miles. The wind was a toughie (comparing speeds from last year across the whole field the wind was tough on everyone) but it wasnt the reason for my crappy performance. I did manage to pass a 64 year old on a mountain bike.

Dont go one vacation in the time leading up to the race. Spend at least 4-5 week on a bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

the olympic folks had a little jog from the dismount to the racks. My rack was further back in the OLY racks. I havent mastered taking my feet out of shoes while cycling so I had to "run" in my cleats to the rack. Ilooked at the other transition times and I wasnt really slow compared to others. I was slow compared to previous races I have done
Run
  • 49m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Did the first mile in 9 minutes and legs started to loosen up. Did the next couple of miles in 8 flat. I felt really good at the end and ended up running the final 1.2 miles at a 7 flat pace. The only exercise I had been getting on vacation was running on the beach at Myrtle in the sun and humidity. This was a cool shaded run and I felt like I could have kept going.

Not much- this was a PR for the run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around for about 5 minutes at a good pace. drank a water. ate watermelon (seedless what a treat) licorice pretzels orange slices. drank a beer

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of bike time and a last minute week vacation to the beach with no swimming/biking opprotunity.

Event comments:

This is the best presented race I do. They start on time (HFP I am looking at you) despite the very large numbers of competitors (alot of them first timers). Tons of volunteers. The post race spread and lunch is head and shoulders above the rest. Can you say Beer truck? Good fresh fruit and snacks. A very nice lunch post all races. No stale cookies and RC cola in a warm cooler. The course is great- swim is not chaotic, the bike course is flat and the run is partially shaded. Will buy from again A++

Last updated: 2008-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:29 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Birthday
Course: one rectangle around small lake. beach running start
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:21:05 | 24.85 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/20
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: one large rectangularish loop with a majority straight west and straight east
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:28 | 06.21 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/20
Performance: Good
Course: 1 large loop round sylvania mostly shaded neighborhood runs
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-11 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-08-11 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1594448

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: RE: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice race.  When we first started, I didn't think the wind was that bad.  Boy was I wrong--it definitely took it's toll on me. 
2008-08-11 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1594448

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Subject: RE: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice race...my sentiments exactly on that bike leg. Thank goodness for MTB-ers. Although there was a guy on a hybrid with steel toeclips that passed me like I was standing still.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed