Wauconda, Illinois
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 42s
Overall Rank = 87/265
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/30
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the race site, which was about a half hour drive. The signs they had posted to get to the site were way off. It had us making wrong turns and got us kind of lost. We eventually found it, but not without some frustration. We got there in plenty of time though so we weren't rushed or anything. Set up transition which was great because there was plenty of room. I didn't have to cram my bike in.
Event warmup:

Got into wetsuit and boarded the bus to the swim start. It was chilly and everybody was shivering. We got in the water to warm up as the water was warmer than the air. Did some swimming to get the arms limbered up and when we were called out of the water I did a little stretching.
Swim
  • 35m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

We headed out of the little marina and made an immedate right and the sun was directly in front of us. Couldn't see anything. I just followed the bodies in front of me. I got to a point where I couldn't believe we weren't turning left yet so I stopped to take a good look and saw the turn bouy about 100 yards to my right. I had to go back to the bouy, swim around it, and then continue which added a bunch of time to my swim and was extrememly frustrating because it could have been avoided by having more bouy's on the straightaway to help us stay on course as it was close to impossible to see the turn bouy with the sun in our eyes.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. I guess stop and try to sight more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Took longer than I wanted because there were a few items I had to fish in my bag for.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I started rowing this summer and I think it's really helped strengthen my legs. I expected about a 19mph split and was suprised during the ride at how fast I was going. I was passing people all over the place. That's not all that typical. Then I saw my split and was amazed. I've never averaged 21mph. I was definately happy about that. Probably the best bike leg I've ever done.

Not much. I was pretty happy with that one.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Not too bad. A bit of trouble getting the bike shoes off.
Run
  • 51m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This is actually better than I thought I would do. I think the rowing helped here too. I haven't done as much run training as I would like this summer so I wasn't too confident in having a decent run. I was expecting just under 9 minute miles so when I completed my first mile in 8:40 I was ok but then mile two was at 8:02 so I was thinking I might be able to do ok. The course had some hills but overall it was a nice course. An aid station at the turn around would have been ideal.

More run training. Keep rowing.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some food and chit chatted a little. Got a little receipt type of peice of paper with my time and splits on it. I've never seen that before. What a great idea.

Event comments:

The swim could use some tweaking but for this being the first Bangs Lake Triathlon, it was very well organized. The bike and run portion were great. I'll look forward to doing this again next yer.

Last updated: 2008-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:31 | 1640 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 118/265
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Out to the left, turn at bouy and head straight in to beach area.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:27 | 24.85 miles | 21.16 mile/hr
Overall: 65/265
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:20 | 06.21 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 142/265
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-11 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Subject: Bangs Lake Oly

2008-08-13 3:55 PM
in reply to: #1594449

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Bangs Lake Oly
good job. yeah thw swim was tough but what you going to do. Its not the RD first race though so I thought he would have had the better bouys but you never know what he had to work with.
2008-08-15 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1594449

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Bangs Lake Oly
That race director refuses to change. I've said something to him about his buoy placement at each one of his races and he still has the same problems.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bangs Lake Oly Rss Feed