General Discussion Race Reports! » Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cazenovia, New York
United States
CNY Triathlon Club
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m 6s
Overall Rank = 24/92
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/16
Pre-race routine:

Nothing fancy. Got up about 5:45, had a bowl of cereal w/skim milk, shaved dressed and loaded. Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus on the way to the race. Parked quickly and walked a ways from parking to the transition. Racked my bike next to a big Tigger balloon for easy ID, and went to get my chip and get marked. Finished setting up transition area, Bodyglided wrists, ankles, neck and around entry to shoes and socks. Got the wetsuit on, good to go.
Event warmup:

Short swim and that was it.
Swim
  • 27m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Best swim I've had in a long time. Able to draft a bit, sighted well, and stayed relaxed.
What would you do differently?:

Wouldn't change much - could have pushed a bit harder, rounded buoys a bit less widely. Most obvious would be to not swim in new wetsuit for the first time in a race (I know, I know), but I got lucky there. The new one has my 17 year old hand me down beat by a long shot.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

One heel got stuck a bit, but not bad. The suit, which I had not practiced getting out of, came off much more easily than I had expected. Only other real glitch was my right sock - I put it on upside down - heel side up. Cost me a few seconds to figure that out and switch if around. Had some trouble clipping into pedals as well. Usually don't, but today I did.

I'd like to go without socks, but I get blisters on the run - my feet bled a fair amount the last time I tried it. Just not there yet on that. Couldn't jump onto bike because of decent uphill right out of transition. I haven't practiced that skill very much anyway, but sharp right hand turn right out of T1 and immediate mounting area uphill would have made that next to impossible!
Bike
  • 1h 18m 6s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Hilly course - and I didn't have much to give them, or so it felt. I brought a couple of gels and the first one didn't open and then it broke open all over my right hand and made a sticky mess of that hand, my face and the right brake hood. Nasty.

Get a better preview of course prior to the race. I should have tried to drive it. Unfortunately that takes time which I probably can't afford from a family standpoint. Just need to ride more. I can do better, and this is my goal for next season, to ocnsistently average above 20 mph on bike in all my races.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Again, route into transition was kind if abrupt - I wasn't familiar enough with course to know when to get my feet out of the shoes and so I didn't. Things were pretty muddy, so who knows what kind of a mess I would have made of my fee if I had tried. Downhill to dismount area made a jump off of teh bike next to impossible, and I really don't have that skill at this point anyway.

Get feet out of shoes, learn to jump off bike, be more familiar with course and T1/2 area layouts.
Run
  • 45m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Rolling hills without mile markers. I really like the mile markers to get some idea of pace, should I push harder or not. Caught a couple of olympic distance racers, got passed by 1. The fun really began when the long course joined back up with the sprint course. Lots of people to pick off at that point. Only took water at halfway point but that worked out fine.

Not much - could have pushed a bit harder I suppose, but felt a bit lost without mile markers. It's been a long time since I raced a 10K so I wasn't quite sure what to expect from myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked about for a bit with a water bottle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hilly bike course, lack of pacing and mile markers on run.

Event comments:

The 2 loop bike course made things a bit confusing - I wasn't 100% certain at the end of the second loop which way to go. There was only a good explanation of the 2 loop swim course right before the start - 5 minutes before the start. One intersection toward the end of the run had no volunteers at it to control traffic and racers were crossing the street to get on the last straight to the finish. A volunteer there would have been nice. Lastly - mile markers on the run - they had them for the sprint but not the olympic distance. I really like to have them. Well done race, overall.

Last updated: 2008-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:12 | 1640 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 15/92
Performance: Good
Suit: full body Zoot fusion
Course: Clockwise trapezoid, 2 loops.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:06 | 24.85 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 45/92
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Hills, hills, and more hills!
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:31 | 06.21 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 25/92
Performance: Good
First mile 7:07 - but this is the only split info I have.
Course: Simple out and back, with the sprinters part of the way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-11 1:41 PM

User image

Upstate NY
Subject: Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate

2008-08-11 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1594806

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: RE: Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate
That's a mighty good run coming off a tough bike course. Small, but speedy field, judging by the results. Nice work.

Sounds like event planning for the (inaugural) intermediate wasn't that sharp.
2008-08-11 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1594806

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Nice job, yesterday!!  I agree that there should have been mile markers for the run.  I like to know where I am. I did the sprint and didn't see any for that section either.

Hopefully they will work out the kinks for the intermediate next year!!

2008-08-12 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1594829

User image

Upstate NY

Thanks, coming off of the bike is definitely one of my strengths. I do at least one brick a week and usually more than one, but what I'd really like is to feel stronger on the bike. Oh well, I guess most of us know what we need to do to accomplish that!

This race is put on by my local club, of which I am not a member, so I suppose if I have any real complaints I need to put my money where my mouth is, join my local club, and lend a hand. Thanks again, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an Olympic distance race in the Syracuse area next summer.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate Rss Feed