General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Trumansburg, New York
United States
Ithaca Triathlon Club
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 44m 33s
Overall Rank = 411/543
Age Group = Female 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/25
Pre-race routine:

Oh, boy... not the pre-race routine I had hoped for. All I wanted was an untoasted bagel with peanut butter, get in the car and go (kids in pjs if necessary). Woke to a little before 6. Neither of the girls wanted to be fed by grandma and my husband burnt my bagel in the toaster (he meant well). I tried to choke down the bagel in the car while worrying I had forgotten something for the race or for the kids.
Event warmup:

My nomal pre-race routine of walking around and taking in the sights. Walking around with the kids takes lots of stress off. Besides, my wave didn't start until 8:50 and I had a long time to go after Kevin started at 8:00. Ran after Kevin, yelling his time, as he came out of the water. Does that count as a warm up?
Swim
  • 14m 20s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started pretty close to the front, right behnd the "real" serious female competitors. from years past, I knew I could hold my own up front. I actually stayed up with a lot of the "fast pack" and passed people out to the buoy. On the way back, we were spread out enough that I didn't have anyone to chase and I think my pace died down a bit. I stuck to the rope both ways this time and I, for once, didn't stray too far off course. Overall, I had a lot of fun in the water! Finished 40 seconds under my goal!
What would you do differently?:

Distance has never been a problem for me in the water... but I'm not getting my fast pace back at all. I think I need to work on some sprinting over the winter to pick up the pace a bit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Not a good transition... I know I'm slow. But I had hoped for no more than 2:30. I almpst choked on a granola bar. Settled for a gel instead. I got stuck trying to put my shirt on. How bad is that? I should have just let me gut hang out on the bike and put my short on the run when I was drier in T2. (Little did I know about the rain at the top of the bike hill)

Not worry about getting dressed. Just get on the darn bike! Also, new pedals/shoes for my bike. And a better nutrition/hydration plan. Gee, where do I start on my transition problems...
Bike
  • 53m 30s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.70 mile/hr
Comments:

I forgot how much I hate that hill... but it wasn't nearly as bad this year on my new "blue baby" as opposed to my mountain bike in years past. The rolling hill section felt great, and I kept it moving. About a mile or so before the turn, it started raining. Not pouring, but enough to get pretty wet. At least it was dry coming down the hill! Finished 30 seconds under goal. Even after having to stop to tie my sneaker.

Keep training as I'm doing. I'm definitely improving. But for next year, I think pedals/shoes are a must. Also, figure out how to hydrate on my bike and not fall off!
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

What the heck was I doing that it took me this long?

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong...
Run
  • 32m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

In a word - my run was "craptastic". I could blame it on the wet feet from the rain on the bike. I could blame it on my lack of food/hydration. I could certianly blame it on my obvious lack in run training. Or maybe that I had to tie my shoe again. But I just sucked all around. I knew when I got off the bike that I was shot. I felt like crap for the first half on a slight hill upward. I thought I wouls be ok on the run back (downhill) but then with 1 1/2 mile to go I got the sick feeling that wouldn't go away. I never got to "kick it in" at the end! At least I didn't actually puke... but still very disappointed in my finish. I at least hydrated weel, just a little too late, I think.

Hmmm... Train more? Eat breakfast? Suck it up? Where to begin...
Post race
Warm down:

Found the kids and got lots of hugs. Felt good to be treated like a superhero by a 3.5 and a 1.5 year old. Swapped stories with friends and family that also raced. Got some ice cream and then make a run for the car before the nasty storm hit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think mostly poor nutrition/hydration and poor training (particularly on the run).

Event comments:

I truly think this is a fantastic race. Well organiized and a beautiful course! My whole group looks forward to doing it every year!

Last updated: 2008-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:20 | 820 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/25
Overall: 229/543
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Straight out and back - I don't like this as much as the "triangle" from teh last two years.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:30 | 14 miles | 15.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/25
Overall: 420/543
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Straight out and back, up Route 89. First 2 miles is the killer hill, then rolling hills and then a fun ride back down into the park.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:16 | 03.11 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/543
Performance: Below average
Course: Around the park, up to the falls, and then back. Falls trail is nice and shaded but slightly uphill going out to the falls (but downhill on the way back!).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-11 10:29 PM

User image

Master
Albany, NY
Subject: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-08-12 7:51 AM
in reply to: #1596165

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great swim!  I did that race last year and thought I would die in the lake!  The bike course is challenging but so cool to come down that hill!  Sorry your run was craptastic.  Glad you pushed through it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed