Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dating question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-05 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Joysey
Subject: Dating question

This question is directed at anyone that has ever experienced this not just the women.

I have been single for sometime now and have finally went on a date with this guy.  Now, when I first meet new people I tend to NOT share some past experiences, i.e. excentric jobs, my miltary career, and the fact that I'm a triathlete.  I have had bad experiences in the past with guys saying that what I do and what I've done isn't particularly feminine.  Whatever!

Anyway, this guy is starting to get into the whole tri workout thing with me.  In a way I like to have a partner to do my workouts with but in the same respect, I feel like "hey, this is my thing, find your own".

Am I just being crazy?  Should I just stop this neurotic thinking and be thankful that he also hasn't gone running for the more feminine hills?  I really do like him so I'm leading towards picking and choosing what bothers me.  What do you all think?

2005-02-05 7:53 PM
in reply to: #113217

New York
Subject: RE: Dating question
You're not crazy at all. Just from what you've said in the post, I think there are two things to think about:

1. This guy's "in to" you enough to want to become interested in something you like. He wants to do workouts/races together and consequently gets to spend more time with you. Not to mention that a little healthy competition can spice things up!

2. At the same time I think it's extremely important to keep some semblance of individuality. If it's that important to you, and if it's the RIGHT guy, then you should be able to openly communicate your feelings to him. Maybe he won't stop doing the tri thing (since it's pretty addictive), but maybe there can be some middle ground where you do workouts separately, don't compete in the same races, and simply use each other as a cheering section.

Take this as you will, from someone who isn't in a relationship. Perhaps others who currently deal with similar issues can be more helpful.
2005-02-05 7:58 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I am just getting started with tri specific training for a few months now and don't mention it much, after all I haven't actually done anything yet. My wife, however, has made a point of telling lots of people. The thing I noticed is that many of them say "I should do that too" or that they will, or want to, start some kind of exercise. Seems like lots of people think about it. You just gave your guy a great oppertunity to get started. There was a thread here recently where some folks wanted, but didn't have, a significant other who shared their passion for training. Enjoy your shared interests.

Edited by Micawber 2005-02-05 7:59 PM
2005-02-05 8:01 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
"dating question" is a magnet for all the married people - just you wait!

Make plans for what you WANT to do with him, and put limits on what you want to do alone..... If you feel smothered, be proactive about it.

I have enough Indiana Jones (with a rock hammer) work stories that I scared off half of the other half of Denver before I found my Derreck! (had to go to the S. American rain forest to find him, though).

Good luck!
2005-02-05 9:54 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-02-05 9:55 PM

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Married input. To me the most important part of a relationship is friends first. The fact he is interested in something you care about could be a great foundation. Too many spouces get "widowed" on the weekends because they don't care enough to do the same things as there partners (IE watch 12 hrs of football etc.)

The only thing that I feel cautious about is are you competing with each other to win or share in each others glory. Compitition is great but not when your feelings get hurt.

Good luck. Joe

2005-02-06 8:21 AM

Veteran
SF soon!
I can so relate. Basically, you're glad that he's not intimidated but, at the same time, you'd respect him more if he had his own interests. I completely agree - shared interest is one thing but you need to have something in your personal arsenal that makes you uniquely YOU.

Does he have his own "thing" besides his new found interest in tri?
2005-02-06 12:35 PM

Veteran
Eilat, Israel
JUst go with it. The fac that he is interested and willing to do something that is of interest to you is a bonus. Don't look for the reason why not. good luck
2005-02-06 1:00 PM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Just enjoy the fact that he "likes" you enough to want to do this with you.  When you do want to go out alone, be it to swim, run, or bike, just go ... you don't need his permission ... or anyone else's. 
2005-02-08 10:40 AM

Cape Coral, FL
I am in the same boat as you...only the guy I was dating got jealous over how much time I spen training, instead of being with him. I asked him to join me and he said he didn't have the time...so either do I (FOR HIM) that is. On top of my workouts, I also work 50-60 hours and am a single mom to a daughter who plays soccer, swimming and karate!! Oh well, one day the RIGHT man will come along and realize what a great catch we all are!!!
2005-02-08 11:19 AM

Elite
Reno
FIN16 - 2005-02-05 7:41 PM

I really do like him so I'm leading towards picking and choosing what bothers me.  What do you all think?

I think having the control to pick and choose what bothers one is a HUGE life skill. Apply it to a man, a job, a neighbor..... not that we need to ignore what REALLY bothers us, but not letting the small stuff get in the way of enjoying something.

Edited by bootygirl 2005-02-08 11:21 AM

2005-02-08 11:25 AM

NH
More married input.......
All I have to say is enjoy it~I'm jealous! I can't convince my husband to do anything tri-related with me. He's into playing team-sports, and I can't stand them!
2005-02-08 11:59 AM

Pro
Helena, MT

I think you need to probe WHY you're having this reaction. If you're like SOME people I know, you're merely looking for an excuse to run away from anything that looks like a relationship for any handy reason. But then again, maybe he IS smothering you. Once you know which one is your problem, you know whether to work from your end or to tell him to find his own damn hobby.

This statement: "In a way I like to have a partner to do my workouts with but in the same respect, I feel like "hey, this is my thing, find your own"" makes me wonder if you like being admired for being a triathlete (hey, who doesn't?) and maybe feel like he's taking away what 'sets you apart'. Maybe way off base, but a possibility. And might I add, a completely natural thought. When some friends of mine all told me they wanted to do a tri, I had this instant gut-reaction of "Hey! I'm the triathlete around here. Not you guys!" Like if they accomplished it, it would somehow undermine what I had accomplished. Which was lame, of course.  And once I realized it, I called myself on it and now I'm really stoked that they're into tris.

Edited by kimj81 2005-02-08 12:00 PM
2005-02-08 4:53 PM

Veteran
Joysey

You all have been great in your advice.  I think my biggest problem is that I have finally found something that I love and am relatively good at (pat on back) and in past relationships when this happened I wasn't encouraged or supported.  I'm trying like hell not to compare past relationships with this one, but sometimes it's easier said than done.

This guy is really really great and I definately want to make a go of it.  I pretty much just need to get over myself and move on.  I'm just getting back into the dating thing so the road is kinda rocky and I'm trying out my navigating skills while at the same time trying to remain from getting hurt again.  WHATEVER!!

Thanks again and I can't wait to see where this goes.  I'll keep you posted!

xoxo

Shauna

2005-02-08 5:33 PM
in reply to: #113227

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

I have enough Indiana Jones (with a rock hammer) work stories that I scared off half of the other half of Denver before I found my Derreck!

Oh mah garsh!!  That was you?!?!?!?!  Ha, you were such a ner...OK I'm just kidding.

FIN...trust your gut.

Edited by Kupe du Monde 2005-02-08 5:36 PM
2005-02-11 5:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Do you think its your competitive nature. You like having a training partner and having someone to share this part of your life with. But what if he gets better than you. I don't know its something that might go through my head.

I also say forget the guys who don't think its feminine. If they like the way you look after running 6 miles balls to the wall, then odds are they will find you attractive in just about any situation.

Plus, he is showing an interest not just in your lifestyle, but in you.

2005-02-13 6:00 PM

New user
West Des Moines Iowa
Hmmm, two thoughts.

First, your inner voice is sensing something -- or else you wouldn't post the question here ... listen carefully.

Second, with luck, you won't be on the same pace -- so you can share enthusiasm for the sport without having to be connected at the hip. Or does USAT allow tandem bikes?

Good luck --- married or single, the dating thing is confusing....

Edited by ZenBasser 2005-02-13 6:06 PM
2005-02-13 6:12 PM

molto veloce mama
i totally totally totally understand. my husband loves cycling. it was one of the things i fell in love with, our common passion for riding. then we bought a house, had kids, and our riding together became a thing of the past. this winter he started talking about riding more and even racing again (he used to do cyclocross and mountain bike races). for a while, i had very mixed feelings about it. i had just gotten into tri, had carved out time for it, and now i was thinking he was going to take away from that somehow. it was pretty complicated for me, since tri represents more than just a hobby. anyway, i am now at the point that i'm encouraging him to race, and to race together. i still get to train and race solo most of the time, but we're doing some training together and are planning on doing a couple duathlons together. i would be honest with him and let him know how much you value the independent nature of doing tris, but compromise too so that you can train and even race together a bit.

I also say forget the guys who don't think its feminine. If they like the way you look after running 6 miles balls to the wall, then odds are they will find you attractive in just about any situation.

amen to that. an friend of mine once said if a girl is cute, and you dump a bucket of water over her head and she's STILL cute, then she's cute (and no, not because of the wet t-shirt, but because she's not painted, coated, sprayed, and shellacked!).

Edited by autumn 2005-02-13 6:14 PM
2005-02-16 1:16 AM

Alabama
Having this guy get horn in on your workouts/training doesn't sound that bad. That said, there are those of us who need our time alone. If THAT is what is bugging you, nicely explain that you'd like some of your workouts to be without him. If you are jealous that he is horning in on this cool new endeavor you've found ... well, you'll need to lighten up a bit!
Whatever happens, keep training. Best of luck.
- R
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dating question Rss Feed