General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pikes Peak Ascent Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-12 12:08 AM

User image

Plano, Tx
Subject: Pikes Peak Ascent
So who all has done this one before? My first time, and I'm definitly nervous. Not too much altitude training in texas :(

2008-08-12 8:19 AM
in reply to: #1596238

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Pikes Peak Ascent
I've run the Ascent a few times.  Running again this year for the first time in 5-years.  Not anything you can do about the altitude at this point.  A couple things to keep in mind; it will be tempting to go out fast from the start to try to gain a good spot on the trail.  Don't do this as you will pay for it later in the race (as I say this I'm thinking I need to remind myself as well).  Also, you might want to tie a light jacket or long sleeve around your waist.  The weather can change rapidly above treeline. Good luck!
2008-08-12 6:04 PM

User image

Colorado Springs

I did it last year, and was thinking about doing it this year, but I did 5430 Long last weekend and  Lake Stevens last month. And I didn't think I'd be recovered enough for the Ascent. Now I'm wishing I had registered cuz I feel pretty good. I think your approach to the race depends on your body. Unlike what Ray  said (which is definitely a valid point), I went out hard for the first mile thinking it would be a greater energy expenditure trying to get around people in the W's. I knew my leg turnover would be drastically decreased on the uphill and figured I could recover a little bit. It worked for me, but I'm speaking from my experience alone. Either way it's a phenomenal experience. One of the most rewarding sporting events I've ever done. More than likely my wife (hotrodmeg) and I will be out there. I'll probably be toting gels and drinks for some buddies. We live here in the Springs so if you need anything hit me up.

2008-08-12 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1598687

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
kilo_dave - 2008-08-12 5:04 PM

I did it last year, and was thinking about doing it this year, but I did 5430 Long last weekend and Lake Stevens last month. And I didn't think I'd be recovered enough for the Ascent. Now I'm wishing I had registered cuz I feel pretty good. I think your approach to the race depends on your body. Unlike what Ray said (which is definitely a valid point), I went out hard for the first mile thinking it would be a greater energy expenditure trying to get around people in the W's. I knew my leg turnover would be drastically decreased on the uphill and figured I could recover a little bit. It worked for me, but I'm speaking from my experience alone. Either way it's a phenomenal experience. One of the most rewarding sporting events I've ever done. More than likely my wife (hotrodmeg) and I will be out there. I'll probably be toting gels and drinks for some buddies. We live here in the Springs so if you need anything hit me up.

Dave does make a good point here. If you are a strong runner then getting in front of as many people as you can that first mile makes sense as it will be very difficult to pass people on the single track. But then again, go out too hard and you might end up walking with 10 miles left to race! Then people are going to be pizzed because they have to go around you. Just keep in mind that when the race starts and you are running on pavement...that's as mild of a grade you will experience for most of the race. If you're sucking for air then...it will be a long day! Something I didn't mention before about the altitude...hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

Dave, if you see me throw me a gel or some grapes! I'm the tall skinny guy...should be easy to spot.

2008-08-13 12:25 AM

User image

Plano, Tx

HAHA!!

Thanks guys. Some great info there.

So let me throw this out there. What do yall think about me doing a run on thur and a 2hr ride on fri? Would that be stupid or possibly give me a taste of what ill deal w/ on Saturday. (keep in mind I'm doing this race as part of my build for Kona... So I have no problem running/walking on tired legs saturday)

Thanks guys

And if yall know of some good routes to ride from Colorado Springs w/ some good climbing... ~30-40 miles would be awesome let me know!

2008-08-13 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1599417

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
tribullbutter - 2008-08-12 11:25 PM

HAHA!!

Thanks guys. Some great info there.

So let me throw this out there. What do yall think about me doing a run on thur and a 2hr ride on fri? Would that be stupid or possibly give me a taste of what ill deal w/ on Saturday. (keep in mind I'm doing this race as part of my build for Kona... So I have no problem running/walking on tired legs saturday)

Thanks guys

And if yall know of some good routes to ride from Colorado Springs w/ some good climbing... ~30-40 miles would be awesome let me know!

What is it with you Texans?    Hey, if this is training for you...anything goes!  And I think just about everyone will do some walking at some point.  Anyway, I just took a peak at your logs...you'll most likely still kick my butt!  So yea, I say  go for a nice tempo run at Garden of the Gods on Thursday and then Friday hammer your bike up to Woodland Park. You'll get some climbing!  Have fun while you're out here.

2008-08-13 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
This will be my first Ascent, but I've hiked up to the top via Barr and the altitude definitely becomes a factor after A frame (last 3 miles). This pace calculator is interesting if you want to see what your splits might look like, also gives you an idea of just how the altitude generally impacts most racers: http://www.skyrunner.com/pace.htm

As far as riding goes the Air Force Academy has some nice riding or you could ride as far as you want out and back by heading south on 115/Nevada out of downtown.

Good luck on Saturday!
2008-08-13 1:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-13 5:13 PM

Parker, CO
Go Texas!! Represent!!!

I'm in the Peak and it looks like you'll kick my butt too!!

RAy
2008-08-18 8:58 AM

Regular
Lakewood, Co
Anybody else get turned back at AFrame on Saturday. I did, I understand but disappointed. Was on schedule to be on top in 3:30 to 3:45
2008-08-18 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1610120

Pro
Parker, CO

rjchurchill - 2008-08-18 7:58 AM Anybody else get turned back at AFrame on Saturday. I did, I understand but disappointed. Was on schedule to be on top in 3:30 to 3:45 :(

my understanding is that they started turning people back at around 10:30.  I think it was just before 10am when I reached A-Frame and I was stupid enough to keep going.  I think it took me about 1:15 to finish the last 3-miles.  It was crazy, freezing rain, snow, high winds!  The footing was very bad because of ice on the rocks. Alot of bottlenecks because you couldn't pass people and I think it got to a point that I wasn't working hard enough to keep my body warm.  Never have I been so cold in all my life!  They said the temp was in the low 30s but seemed much colder than that to me.

Sorry you had to turn back.  I know I would have been disappointed to get turned back after 10-miles.  But conditions were really poor...not just for the runner's but also the volunteers.  The volunteers rock!

Edited by rayd 2008-08-18 10:07 AM

2008-08-18 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1610120

Expert
Lakeville, MN
rjchurchill - 2008-08-18 7:58 AM

Anybody else get turned back at AFrame on Saturday. I did, I understand but disappointed. Was on schedule to be on top in 3:30 to 3:45

My friend did. Sounds like they shut down everything at 10:30. Kind of a bummer, but after talking w/ race officials, sounded like the summit was a disaster. The med tent at the summit was jammed full of peeps from the first wave (running shorts and cutoff tank tops apparently don't do well in 30 degrees). Don't think anyone from the second wave made it through the cutoff.
2008-08-19 9:50 AM

Regular
Lakewood, Co
Started in wave #2 and got to Aframe about 10:20 and they had just started turning people back. If I'd been 5 minutes faster I'd have gone through. No hard feeling though. Better safe than sorry!! Try again next year. Maybe!?!?
2008-08-23 10:55 AM

Veteran
Denver

I was a volunteer at the finish line - was there from 6am - 1 pm - and the race director made a hard, but right decision to close the race.  I don't know how the leaders even found the trail above tree line because we couldn't even see the finish banner from the summit.  I ran the Ascent in 2005 when the snowstorm hit the summit and we were all stranded at the top for HOURS. 

Congratulations to everyone to did the Pikes Peak 'mini' Marathon last Saturday!

2008-08-23 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1623033

Parker, CO
daisy2908 - 2008-08-23 9:55 AM

I was a volunteer at the finish line - was there from 6am - 1 pm - and the race director made a hard, but right decision to close the race.  I don't know how the leaders even found the trail above tree line because we couldn't even see the finish banner from the summit.  I ran the Ascent in 2005 when the snowstorm hit the summit and we were all stranded at the top for HOURS. 

Congratulations to everyone to did the Pikes Peak 'mini' Marathon last Saturday!

You volunteers were outstanding. Can't thank you enough. All of us should give back to the sport(s) in one fashion or another. Again, thanks.
2008-08-25 3:52 AM

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Did anyone get turned back?!?
1972 Entrants, 760 Finishers!
Right around 1200 were eaten by Sharks, errrrr, turned back.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pikes Peak Ascent Rss Feed