Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Last-minute advice for Chaparral newbie? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-12 3:23 PM

Subject: Last-minute advice for Chaparral newbie?

5 days to go; 3rd sprint, first event with the boys, also longest swim so far; any advice? Will go to race site for swim workout tomorrow, already tried a bit of the bike route (specifically, the hill); considering the free Bike Check - what else should I be doing at this point?

Yikes! Nerves!!!!!

2008-08-12 5:39 PM
in reply to: #1598236

User image

Regular
Edmonton
Subject: RE: Last-minute advice for Chaparral newbie?
I don't know about right now but the day of the race I'd do a few things:

1. Get there early for a good transition spot. The way it worked last year there was a real advantage to setting up as close to the bike exit as possible, there will be alot less time wasted running with your bike if you do this.

2. If you aren't a strong swimmer watch out for the first turn which is only 20-25m off of shore, it creates a HUGE crush of swimmers going over one another, swim wide it actually doesn't cost you that much time and might keep you more relaxed.

3. Watch out for vehicle traffic! Big problem with this race is lack of vehicle control.

4. Make sure your brakes are good. I know it sounds funny but that hill was dangerous last year and my friend almost went out without her brakes in good shape. There was some gravel haulers working Sunday and they actually forced people to slow down on the hills because there wasn't alot of room to get around them.

5. Have fun and be safe
2008-08-12 5:42 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
This is also my first time doing this race and my first Oly as well. So take my advice for what it's worth.

Swim - Is it the longest swim ever or just in a race? Either way, remember that you float like a cork in the wetsuit. If you panic (I have), just stop, roll over and float. Then resume your swim.
Bike - I rode 5 loops of the complete course last weekend. The hill is by far the worst part. The rest is flatish and pretty smooth.

Run - Justa run around the neighborhood. Nothing special.

Nerves are normal. Relax and think about what you'll do come race day. I just try to visualize what's going to go right. This is your third race. You know you can do it!

CC

PS: I'm also going to get some practice in tomorrow evening after work. Send me a pm if you want a swim partner.

2008-08-12 10:05 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Have fun, go to the transition clinic on Saturday. Get there early as traffic does suck. Also, Multisport did the Abour Lake tri earlier this year, they have a great post race meal but in my opinion crappy post race snacks. I am BOP and when I finished around noon they didnt even have any gaterade, race director said, "there was not enough for everyone". Also, no gaterade on the run, so if you like that bring a fuel belt or a bottle I guess. If i remember right there was only one fuel station on the run.

Oh also, last year my garmin clocked the run loop at 5.5 k instead of 5.

GOOD LUCK
2008-08-12 11:49 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback; still unclear on distances as the website advertises 750m-15.5k-4.5k but everyone who has done it before says it's at least 750-20-5. Not a big deal, I can manage the longer distances but I like to know what to expect for pacing. I guess I could confirm with the race organizers, but if anyone knows please pass it on.

Thanks again, looking forward to Sunday! Almost tempted to ride over as a warmup, to avoid parking and traffic hassles, it's only 15-20 minutes from home, though there is the hill to consider. On the other hand it could help calm the morning jitters!

2008-08-13 9:21 AM
in reply to: #1598646

Thanks Clyde, and good luck on that first Oly; I'll look forward to your race report as I am planning my first Oly next May (I know, not very good timing considering teh Alberta climate!)

2008-08-13 10:11 AM

User image

Calgary
When I was down there a month ago, there seemed to be a lot of construction happening at the far end of the bike ride. Hopefully on a Sunday morning, it is not too bad. And hopefully they sweep the streets.

Otherwise, I'm ready for a great triathlon. Let's have some fun out there.
2008-08-13 10:14 AM

User image

Regular
Edmonton
Yeah I find there is differences between the stated distances and the actual distance raced especially on the swim. If you look at the swim it's way out of whack for the Oly distance.
You complete a 750m loop at the dock if you are a Sprinter but if you are an Oly racer you have to turn and swim 200m to get back to the start of the second 750m loop.
Last year it was advertised as a 9km run but it was measured to be over 10km's by a friend. Not sure on the bike though.
The race distances put on by this organization usually don't seem to be that accurate IMO.
2008-08-13 4:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I did Multisport's Try This and Coral Springs.  Both times, they e-mailed out the race guide and the guide was also available on their website.  Reading this should both confirm the distances (I hope) and start to settle your nerves.

Definitely get to transition early and don't be afraid to ask questions.  One question I had was 'would people help me zip up my wetsuit' and the answer is yes!

I'm thinking of doing an Oly next May also:  Lethbridge or somewhere warm for you?

2008-08-13 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1601657

Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas May 9 2009; I did the sprint in April this year and it was so great I had to go back, but they are only offering an Oly next year so it seemed like the perfect motivation to move up.

I am guessing the Lethbridge race is a pool swim?!

2008-08-13 7:26 PM
in reply to: #1601882

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yep Lethbridge is a pool swim.  It's usually quite cold for the bike and run; I may or may not do it. 

Good luck in Lake chaparal.  I've just finished my last tri of the year and will be relaxing this weekend!

2008-08-14 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

I will see you all there as well, my first Oly 2nd tri ever. should be interesting as I just started running this week after a knee injury. crossing my fingers that it holds out. initial indications are looking good.

I live in the NW so don't know that area well so going into it sight unseen except for Google Earth.

Good luck to all and yes nerve are getting up there.

2008-08-14 4:21 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Well, I managed to get a good practice swim in last night. The lake was warm, calm and weed free. I also was talking to a couple of other people about the course.

I discovered that there are changes to the bike course for 2008 (which was also changed in 2007). Note that the revised course layout is as per the event guide and not as listed on the web page.

http://www.multisportscanada.com/forms/08Chap-EGUIDE.pdf

Also note that as of yesterday, there was approximately 30 feet of gravel at the bottom of the hill in the valley. But there seemed to be some construction activity at the time of my visit. Hopefully it will be paved by race day. Or at the very least, some mats placed over the area.

Additionally, there are some minor difference in start time between the event guide and the web page.

But it looks like the weather is going to be great. This is going to be fun.

Good luck to everyone!

CC

2008-08-14 5:00 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
That looks like a much better bike course, as long as the roads are somewhat clean. I hated going down that hill and having to come to a complete stop, at least now you will be able to carry some of that speed.
2008-08-18 1:33 PM

User image

Regular
Edmonton
where are those race reports?!
2008-08-18 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1610998

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Just posted.

2:43:45. I was aiming for under 3 hours. Yeah, I'm happy!

2008-08-18 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1611162

Regular

Are the results posted anywhere online yet?

I was 2:38ish and have my race report as a draft but waiting to see my official times.

2008-08-18 3:59 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
2008-08-18 4:57 PM

Regular

Awesome, thanks.  Race report is up.

2008-08-18 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1611651

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Ahhhhhh, but you beat me! Next time my friend, next time......
2008-08-18 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

2008-08-19 10:39 AM

Regular

Congrats on your races guys! 

I think that's the last race for me for my first season.  Which is too bad because I really didn't feel like I had my best race. 

It's nice to see that you had a road bike out there too, Calgary Clyde.  I was surprised to see so many people with very expensive tri-bikes for a local event like this.  At least the hill and technical portion below the hill minimized their affect. 

2008-08-19 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1613400

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Same to you.

It's my last tri of the season. I was quite pleased with my effort. I know I can do better, but this is my first season and everything is a learning experience.

I'll be running the Harvest Half Marathon in September as well. It'll be my first half mary. Actually, it will be my first running race of any kind.

Well, I'm glad you liked my new(ish) Rocky Mountain Solo CXR. But it's a cyclocross bike, not a true road bike. I bought it because the only time I really get to train on the bike is during the commute. The cyclocross bike allows me to run 34c tires if I so choose. I really like it for the commute but want something better for a race (and training) bike. I'm hoping to buy or build-up something during the winter. But nothing too fancy.

I think you saw some expensive bikes for several reasons. Firstly, it was provincials. Secondly, it was a qualifier for worlds. Finally, Calgarians tend to have a disproportional amount of disposable income.

I see that you, Pasman, and myself are all looking at new bike. Group buy?

CC
2008-08-20 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

My last tri for the season unfortunatley as well, but like you guys I thinking I could have pushed a little harder, the run was down right horrible and I am starting a running program for the off season to get it wiped in to shape. might run a 5 miler in banff in Nov.

Like you said it was a learning experience and I can't wait for next year. I am definitey going to do more races next year.

Going to see if I can pick up a used bike and then add on to it, but might haveto drop the big money on a new one. Have to get that AFE approved by the wife first, maybe if I send her somewhere warm for a holiday she might be so inclinded?????

2008-08-21 10:07 AM

Regular

Haha, yeah, I hear you on getting it by the wife.  She was there at Lake Chaparral for the race and saw how many tri-bikes were there.  I make a point of showing her all the Zipp wheelsets and reminding her that they are nearly $2k for just those wheels.  Hopefully I can ease her into how much a new bike all costs so she won't have a heart attack on the sticker price.  So my plan so far is to build my own bike from a Cervelo P2C frameset and just try to pick up parts on ebay.  We'll see, I guess.  Not a huge rush at this point.  I just want to make sure its ready for next season.

Seems like we are in the same boat, Pasman.  I'm going to work on my running all winter long and try to get my 10k down to as close to 40 minutes as I can.  I know I can run a sub-50 minute 10k and having a 52m time in the triathlon was so disapointing.  I used to think running was my strength so something has gone wrong.

Clyde, I mostly get my bike training from commuting too.  What is your route?  I come from the south along the Bow River pathway.  I have my wife drop me off at the Southland dog walking area each morning but I ride all the way home to Cranston each day.  This season I commuted and raced on my Cannnondale CAAD8.  I just don't like the beating my bike takes for the commute and then risk having it all still working on race day.  I didn't have any issues, but I've had a couple closer calls when something would go wrong with the bike the week leading up to the race.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Last-minute advice for Chaparral newbie? Rss Feed  

of 2