Y-Events
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 23s
Overall Rank = 362/672
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/36
Pre-race routine:

Got my gear together the night before. Made lists and checked out my bike. My fiance decided that he was going to help out and add extra air to my tires at 9:30 (right before I went to bed). He ended up busting the valve and we had to change the tire (I will admit that I was a little frustrated but appreciated him taking the majority of the responsibility to change it)

Fast Forward to Saturday Morning

Up at 4:15 to shower. Ate oatmeal and a banana around 5:00 and on the road by 5:45 to drive to Pendleton. Drank water all morning.
Event warmup:

Carted all of my stuff down to transition and set up. Wandered around, went down to the water, watched waves take off for 40+ minutes ate a GU and pulled the rest of my wetsuit on and then it was our turn.
Swim
  • 12m 15s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started of okay. I had a freakout moment on the beach watching people get knocked around by the waves. Once I calmed down and realized it wasn't as bad as it looked I was fine. Did a really good job ducking waves, lots of people trying to go over the waves and ended up getting tossed like rag dolls.

Ran 20 yards south to catch the current. Goggles leaked a little but nothing really bad. Hit the bouy dead on and once I was past the breakers didn't have any problems. Ended up catching a great draft off of a women just in front of me. Rounded the second bouy and headed in. Caught 2 waves in and enjoyed the ride. Kept swimming in the shallow water. Once I stood up I apparently forgot I was in a race because I kind of shuffled and then I realized that I needed to get moving.
What would you do differently?:

Keep moving once the swim was over.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No transition timed. Figured this was about 2-3 min knowing my average swim speed and how long it took to get from the beach to the bike. Wesuit stuck a little on the timing chip but nothing major. Helmet and shoes on, sunglasses on and off I went.

not get wetsuit stuck on chip
Bike
  • 1h 06m 41s
  • 19 miles
  • 17.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Could have gone harder. Enjoyed the course. Was a little worried about the run and my knees so I held back more than I usually do. Watched the really fast women blow past me (wow) passed a few guys from earlier waves. Marines on the course were great and really supportive

Push a little harder
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Was in and out T2 really fast. Only stupid mistake came in to rack on the wrong side so I had to climb under to get to my shoes ... must pay more attention next time. Running shoes on, helmet off grabbed race number, visor and GU and I was off.

Not come in on the wrong side.
Run
  • 25m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

By the time the ladies were out there it was really warming up. Felt like I was dragging but the run split turned out great. My right foot kept falling asleep, couldn't feel it all.

Figure out what has been making my foot fall asleep this week and fix it before the race. (Checked after, not the shoes or laces hmm)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around grabbed orange slices and water, took a few pictures with my fiance. Felt really good at the end of the race, had more in my tank than I should at the end of the race. Should have gone out faster.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Held back too much. Push a little. Working with the coaches to push a little harder so I'm ready for the LA Tri

Event comments:

Great race. Not much in the way of entertainment but very well organized and no question about where and when. Camp Pendleton puts on fantastic races, I will race here again.

Last updated: 2008-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:15 | 500 yards | 02m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 245/672
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:41 | 19 miles | 17.10 mile/hr
Overall: 409/672
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:27 | 03.11 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 394/672
Performance: Good
Course: Big loop around the base. Kinda cool running around the base but it was hot. The marines did a great job with hydration and support. Lots of twists and turns in the course kept me guessing until the finish line. Pre race meeting said something about a 2 loop course but this wasn't the case ... it was a little confusing but I figured that if I kept running I would find the finish line eventually.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-13 10:27 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon

2008-08-13 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1600122

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon
Great job out and there and it was nice to meet you! Good luck in LA!
2008-08-13 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1601007

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Wow, good job out there-- you totally beat me!<G>  (I'll post my report later)  You were smart to find the current in the swim, for sure.  Hope you figure out about the numbness. 
2008-08-13 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1600122

User image

Mountain View, CA
Great job!! I laughed at the part where your fiance was putting air in your tires and blew the valve... the exact same thing happened to me before my last race when my boyfriend was checking my tires. Except in my case he was a little too rough with the wheel when he was putting it back on, and messed up the hub, so I had a tougher race than I expected. Glad you didn't have any bike issues out on the course!
2008-08-14 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1601996

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
I think he was trying to show off for me. It was cute until the valve blew.  Didn't help that his friend was over and decided to play the role of the peanut gallery. I get OCD before races and I hate complications. I think I need to chill out big time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed