Les Vadrouilleurs
-2C / 28F
Sunny
Total Time = 47m 9s
Overall Rank = 136/259
Age Group = Veteran (41+)
Age Group Rank = 40/70
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, had a shower, shaved, ate a banana and had a cup of tea. It is my birthday on Tuesday and my wife gave me a brand new bright orange shell to wear for the race. I have been wanting an orange shell for a few months so it was a plus. Pulled it over my Star Fleet Academy hooded sweatshirt so no one would see what complete geek I am :)

Got to the registration desk early - registered then went out and drove the course so I could see exactly where I would be running. It surprised me how hilly it was. "Rolling terrain" I guess some would call it. I am used to the flat so I knew I would be in for it.
Event warmup:

Umm. I watched the other races and cheered. That was pretty much it. Oh ya - drank half a cup of gatorade - who drinks this? Tastes like crap.
Run
  • 48m 7s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 49s  min/km
Comments:

A personal best time so not much to complain about. My first ever race. It was a good run. A little slow on the start, but picked up quickly. I though I had mistimed everything when at the 7K mark I was suddenly passed by about 12 runners one after another. In my head I started second guessing my starting pace and my relaxed breathing and long stride cadence I usually set at that point in a run.

By the 9K mark I had passed back all but two of those who had passed me and I had the other two in site for the last K. During the last K two runners tried to pass me in both cases I kept pace and they let it go, but they pushed me hard enough that I caught another racer giving me 136th place instead of 137th.
What would you do differently?:

1 - Take two days off before the race. One day was not enough.
2 - Start closer to the front. I passed at least 60 people in the first K because I was worried that starting too close to the front would be a problem for other racers.
3 - I would remember to push the stop button on my chrono when I crossed the finish line.
4 - Train more hills in the future.
Post race
Warm down:

Kissed my wife, had some pictures taken. Congratulated the guy who finished three places ahead of me whom I tried to pace the last 5K. Then ran back up the course to look for a guy I know who was also running when I found him I ran back with him yelling at him to pick up the pace :). He had a personal best too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Unable to run for the last month. Started too far back in the field. Worried too much about what people around me were doing.

Event comments:

It would have been nice to have the results posted right away, but I don't really care that much. In a week or so I will find out how I did in my AG but for now I am satisfied with a personal best for the distance and having run a good race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-02-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:07 | 10 kms | 04m 49s  min/km
Age Group: 0/70
Overall: 136/259
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly. This was something I was not ready for.. It was a bit of a surprise to my system for the first K to be all up hill. Then there was the downhill. It took me about 200 meters to figure out how to run that without jarring my bones apart. The turn point at the 2.5K mark was very icy the same can be said for the 5K mark, but there was only one fall - most of the runners were used to running in the icy conditions already.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-02-06 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: Le Defi Hivernal de L'Ile-Bizard

2005-02-06 2:58 PM
in reply to: #113461

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Le Defi Hivernal de L'Ile-Bizard

Nice race!  Congrats on the PR.  Rest day(s) before races are a good thing, eh?

Rob

2005-02-06 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Many congratulations on the new record D. Looks like your 10k time is better than a bad 5k race for me Keep up the fabulous work, you're looking great!

-Frank
2005-02-06 11:12 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Great Race!!

Your wife is terrific for buying you the great gift for your first race and taking pictures for all of us to see!!

Glad to see you did PB even on rolling hills!!

Hope to see you at the Esprit either this year or next!
Kathy
2005-02-07 12:49 AM

User image

Congrats! Sounds lke a great first race!

Chris
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Le Defi Hivernal de L'Ile-Bizard Rss Feed