Colorado Masters Running Association
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 19m 59s
Overall Rank = 6/87
Age Group = 34 & under
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

I’m still laughing at this one. Hadn’t planned to do this race. I’m still icing my knees from Sunday’s HIM and sulking a bit from the run fallout. I needed to run today anyway so I headed down to Golden after work to join Scott for a "workout."
Event warmup:

Did a mile out and back real easy. Felt good. Had a bowel movement – good. Did some stretching and toed the line.
Run
  • 19m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Had no plan for this race. Was going by feel and left the HR strap in the car. I’ve got to recover quickly and get some miles in the next few weeks to get prepared for the CO Relay, so I didn’t want to set myself back.

Went out very much in control. ~.25mile on the road until we hit the trail. The front pack was about 5 runners, then a gap, them me with ~dozen runners. I sped up a bit just before the trail to get most of the pack behind me. Good, comfortable pace going up the hill. Once we got up was running behind the front-runner of my pack. His cadence and running form were annoying me so I passed him. He hung on for about .25 mi then dropped in the muddy single track. Was feeling really, really good at the mile marker so just maintain that and kept good form. Picked up the tempo until about the 1.5 mark as it was a slight down-grade. At this point my stomach was starting to tighten up so I started to pull it back. There was a pack of about 4 or 5 runners shadowing me, the front 5 runners were out of contact. At this point I didn’t really care if the group behind me caught up – I figured by that time I’d be close enough to the finish that I’d kick once they made contact. Got up the hill and they didn’t seem to make progress. My watch said 17:10 with .5 mile to go. The down-grade began and I stretched it out. Turned the corner and saw the finish line – 19:40. Picked it up because breaking 20 seemed like a real possibility. Started to sprint hard now and stepped in the creek as to not break my stride and lost footing but my momentum carried me. Crossed the line in what looked like 19:58 but they marked my time as 20:00. I checked the tape and it said 19:59:56 – I asked them to round down the 59s when they posted the times (we’ll see if they do). a new PR (since college at least-most unexpected)

Great race considering how my legs felt the last couple of days and not having a serious plan at the start.

What would you do differently?:

kick it in earlier
Post race
Warm down:

jogged back to the park to pick up Owen and grandma

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sunday's HIM

Last updated: 2008-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:59 | 03.11 miles | 06m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 6/87
Performance: Good
garmin data: 1st mile in 6:28/mi ave 2nd 6:33/mi 3rd mile and the 0.1 6:33/mi
Course: mostly nice trail with some sections loose cinder and others wet and muddy. climb up for the 1st mile then loop back and down-grade to the finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-13 10:34 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: Fairmount 5K Trail

2008-08-13 11:39 PM
in reply to: #1602301

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Fairmount 5K Trail

Way to go out there, was happy to see you out there and so close to the front.  Not bad for coming off of the HIM.  Have a solid build up to the relay..

BTW, did I miss reading that you PR'd it (or at least as an adult)

Edited by peto_primo 2008-08-13 11:43 PM
2008-08-14 6:10 AM
in reply to: #1602301

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Fairmount 5K Trail

Jason,

Nice run, congratulations on the sub 20!

Shane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fairmount 5K Trail Rss Feed