Guatetrifed
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 47m 55s
Overall Rank = 56/99
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/26
Pre-race routine:

Got there nice and early, so we were not pannicked. It was cool to see other cars along the highway with their bikes on racks. There were waves and honks.

Didn't think enough about eating, but we made a couple of PB and banana sandwiches and lots of water. Man, was it hot when we got there! The race was scheduled to start at 12:30!! They had a bunch of kids divisions starting from 8:30 on, so I guess they figured we could take the heat better...
Event warmup:

I wanted to get on the bike and spin around a little, but ...it was TOO HOT! Could not picture it happening. I got in the water and did a few strokes and basically swung my arms around a bunch. Also practiced spotting as I hadn't done that in a while (oops). It's hard to think about warming up when you are sweating in the shade.
Swim
  • 09m 49s
  • 450 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was not too tough physically, but I certainly felt flustered at times. Luckily not too many people and I never got kicked. I did have some issues spotting , but that was part of the flustered state I was in.

Hardly thought about TI (although I did a couple of times) Definitely never got into any rhythm. I went quite wide on the buoys to avoid the masses and I think that was a smart decision.
What would you do differently?:

I think it just takes experience. Maybe clean out my goggles before I start.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition went better than I thought. I decided not to wear socks (good call) Everything was pretty smooth, but not exactly fast! Had to drink a bunch of gatorade to get the salty taste out of my mouth.

Nothing. Maybe just practice it before hand.
Bike
  • 22m 31s
  • 10 kms
  • 26.65 km/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike and felt very smooth. I am not sure if the water intake was right, but my stomach cramped up a bit when I started the run. It was amazing to me to feel like I was moving along nicely and then to see the elite racers pass me like I was standing still!

I just need to figure out the pace I need to go at. I would have loved to have a computer or my GPS.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition was okay. I unclipped one shoe as I was still moving and swung my leg around to the other side (like I often have in regular pedals) then realized I had to unclip the other foot! I ALMOST wiped out on the dismount. That was a close call!

When I stopped at my spot, I felt like I had entered a furnace. Instantly I felt a gush of sweat pour down my face, and it felt like I was on fire! Drank a bunch more at this point (maybe too much, but I was SO worried about dehydrating in that heat).

Took a bit longer in this transition, I had to tie my running shoes (felt a bit silly). Still, not bad for the first time.

MAybe get a quick tie thing for my running shoes. Dismount barefoot with my shoes on the pedals (maybe)
Run
  • 15m 35s
  • 3 kms
  • 05m 11s  min/km
Comments:

When I started the run I felt like I was standing still...but it hurt..In hindsight, I think I was trying to imitate the speed I had on the bike and I was going pretty quickly. I actually walked at 2:30 into the run (I sure felt pathetic here). I felt like I just was done. Had not been training in this heat, that's for sure. Poured some water on my head and felt much better.

Ended up walking twice more. Horrible! I think part of it was mental and part was that I started too fast. In the second loop, I got into a groove and I finished strong. Happy about that. Not happy about the blister situation, though. It's amazing how quickly blisters can form on your un-socked foot!

Start slower and force myself not to walk (it's only 3K after all!)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit and plopped down on a chair and drank water and ate fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat (haven't you been listening??) :)
Mental lapses

Event comments:

First Triathlon...DONE. Definitely tired, but happy and proud. Without question, it was much harder than I thought it would be! My wife did awesome, too! It was so fun to do it together =)

Last updated: 2005-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:49 | 450 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/99
Performance: Average
Suit: bike shorts
Course: A short double loop that you had to get out of the water to complete the second loop. Time included T1 as I forgot to press the lap button on my watch when I got out of the water.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:22:31 | 10 kms | 26.65 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: It was a flat 2K out-and-back circuit that we had to do 5 times!! Tough to get into a rhythm for sure. The turns were extremely tight. Time included my T2 time...see above for reason :)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:15:35 | 03 kms | 05m 11s  min/km
Performance: Below average
Course: A 2-loop out-and-back course. Flat and not too windey.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-02-06 6:58 PM

User image

Subject: Triatlon Mayor #1 (Guatemala)

2005-02-07 9:15 AM
in reply to: #113571

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Triatlon Mayor #1 (Guatemala)
Ivan, this is awesome! Your are officially a TRI ATHLETE!

Too bad about the heat, but it sounds like you learned a lot from your first race.

Congrats!
2005-02-07 11:19 PM

User image

Thanks Tony. It was a great experience and I sure learned plenty. It was nice to start with a short one so I could learn and still be standing!
2005-02-08 12:59 AM

User image

Congratulations triathlete!!!!  Way to go... sounds like it was tough in that heat, but you did it!

Chris
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triatlon Mayor #1 (Guatemala) Rss Feed