General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Salt Tablets? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-15 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Question about Salt Tablets?

This is the first year where I I have actively sought out doing high volume running and biking in the heat, which I am doing to prep for conditions at IMKY.  I have started taking Endurolytes on the 90+ degree days, usually a couple an hour based on feel and hydration.  So the other night I did an 18 miler (temps around 90) and took an Endurolyte every half an hour or so, along with a Hammer gel every 45 minutes with some GE and water.  I felt good during the entire and all systems seemed to be fine, no noticeable problems.  So I start to cool down and notice I am covered in salt - rings all over my red shirt, my black visor has white splotches all over.  I am usually have a normal sweat rate and rarely ever have salt residue at the end of a workout, even in the heat. 

So my question is whether this is a normal effect of taking salt tablets or is this evidence of something else - underhydration? too much electrolytes?

2008-08-15 8:36 AM
in reply to: #1605560

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Question about Salt Tablets?

It's evidence that you were sweating and the sweat evaporated leaving the salt behind.

If you're already taking GE (high sodium content), it's probably overkill to be taking Enduralytes too.  But it's probably not causing you any problems either.

2008-08-15 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

or you might be salty sweater and never noticed before.  However your body will excrete extra sodium if it needs too.  Might have been a bit much for a 90 minute ride, but might be necessary on a 6 hour ride...

keep practicing.

Also heard an interview on tri-talk from the medical director of numerous ironamn races and he stated that rarely (if ever) was there a problem of sodium overdose during the race.  (again, just my 2 cents  keep practicing)

2008-08-15 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1605612

User image

Lafayette, CO
kenaxford - 2008-08-15 8:47 AM

or you might be salty sweater and never noticed before.  However your body will excrete extra sodium if it needs too.  Might have been a bit much for a 90 minute ride, but might be necessary on a 6 hour ride...

keep practicing.

Also heard an interview on tri-talk from the medical director of numerous ironamn races and he stated that rarely (if ever) was there a problem of sodium overdose during the race.  (again, just my 2 cents  keep practicing)

My impression was that he was running, not riding those 18 miles?  

2008-08-15 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

The residue is because your sweat evaporated; I've never been to GA but my impression is that it is usually very humid (could be completely incorrect on this ).  If you are usually running in very humid conditions, there will be very little evaporation and as a result, you are covered in sweat which is dissovling and washing away the residue.  However, in lower humidity, the sweat evaporates and you will end up with more noticable residue.

In addition, the longer the workout, the more likely you are to be left with residue as there is simply more sweat involved.

Also, it would seem that you are consuming a great deal of electrolytes; simply taking sodium, if you are taking in one serving (8 fl oz) of GE per hour along with 2 Endurolytes and 1 Hammer Gel, you are looking at over 300mg of sodium per hour.  Since the run probably took around 3 hours, that's 900mg of sodium which is a pretty large intake of sodium (plus everything else).  At this point, if it is working for you I would keep going (since the race is close) but in the future I would suggest experiementing to see if you can get away with less.

Shane

2008-08-15 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Thanks for your responses.  I guess it is as simple as that, the more you sweat the more salt comes out.  I have been practicing with these things and probably was on the high end this week.  It just seemed odd and my pedestrian knowledge of physiology caused me start to worry.

2008-08-15 12:24 PM

Veteran
Sodium overdose victim here. Yes, it's true, you can od. After Eagleman, I was carted off in an ambulance. Had thermalytes, then ate salty things on the run course. I couldn't bend my fingers-they looked like sausages.
So, yep, the answer is yes.
Rhonda
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Salt Tablets? Rss Feed