General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calf injury while training for first HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-16 1:41 PM

Subject: calf injury while training for first HIM
I strained a calf muscle and it hurts to run. I am on the 6th week of my 18 week HIM training program. It hurts to put weight on my left leg when I run. It warms up after about a mile or so and after about 3 miles it doesn't hurt much at all. At the end of my run there is not much pain at all but give it an hour or so it hurts to walk for about a day and a half. It does not hurt to bike or swim though. I think I should lay off of the running until it does not hurt at all but I do not want to fall behind too far. If I continue with the program minus the run will I be ready for my race on Nov 9th? Need advice.

2008-08-16 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1607934

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: calf injury while training for first HIM

I pulled a muscle in my calf three years ago training.  The things that helped me get back on track were:

• Physical Therapy to Strengthen it
  • Massage - Both Sports and ART
  • Laying off running until it was pain free
  • Start back running slowly - Once I was warmed up I would run 1 minute and walk 5 minutes.  Gradually start increasing that until I was back to full time running. 
  • Increased my biking and swimming - Made sure that when I pushed off the wall swimming that it didn't hurt my calf.

Calf pulls take time to heal.  From my experience it was better to layoff running then try and power through it and get the proper therapy.  You have plenty of time to catch up on the running. 

Matt

Edited by mattb1 2008-08-16 2:23 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calf injury while training for first HIM Rss Feed