United States
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 8s
Overall Rank = 68/172
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/18
Pre-race routine:

Thought about going to bed before Phelps swam but probably won't sleep anyhow. Hit the sack at 11:30. Two alarms set at 5:00am. Up a 5:00 duh. Did sleep well. Coffee timer corrected. Had toast with PB&J. first rstop (1), then some coffee another rstop(2), loaded drinks and bag. Bike already in car. Adjusted the Willie man. What another rstop(3). Jeeze gotta be it. Hit the road at 6:05. Smooth ride. Only 10 different ways to get there. Oh yeah another rstop(4) when I get there. Easy parking and 1/4 mile walk to transition. Set up next to one of the master coaches. Waited for Mike to show up. Few people from Canandaigua and area to talk to. Ran back got my coffee for the car. Saw Mike coming in. Drank some water and coffee peed and met Mike to head to the water. Had a gel.
Event warmup:

The run to the car and long sleeve tee shirt. Took a little swim to try and get the timing. No between the lake and the pier the waves near shores were all over the place. Caught one good wave to body surf in on.
Swim
  • 15m 2s
  • 792 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Whoa baby. There were 4 footer coming on shore. There was no rhythm and often the wave would merge and form a very hogh point. In close they would slap you around. Wanted to start up middle but ended up one back form front. The bonehead tried to walk out further through waves. I got fed up and drove into a big one and swam between two guys. It was close to a brawl for some reason. The waves pushed us allover the place. When you came up to sight sometimes you could see everything sometimes just water. 50 yards out you could get some stroke going. Spit out a lot of water. got someone on my side who felt it was necessary to stay there and get hit with a couple return stroke. I would move left and he followed. get off me Mack would you. Took one short break to get bearings. 150 yds out started to run into women whom left 5 minutes earlier. they were OK but it was going to be a long swim for them.
Navigation was poor. Had to break left hard to hit the first buoy. Basically swan under it. Did better on the second one. Kinda forgot which way to go. Followed the crowd. Hard to sight right into the sun. Made is OK. Skimmed the buoy again. Headed for shore. Better way to deal with the waves. Drafted a little off someone and had to go around some of the first wave swimmers. Thought Mike must be having fun. Got towards shore with better sighting. Did well coming through surf. Must of caught a break in the action. Could stand in low water before I knew it. Hit the beach and ran to the transition through the sand. They time that part I managed 38 seconds. Heard them announce Mike Moreland behind getting out after me. Sweet he always beat me. The swim went much better then I thought.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe muscle myself up to the front. Maybe some OWS in Lake Ontario. Learn to run in sand.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

My insole got caught on my toe so had to take shoe back off. My arms were like stuck in the suit. I could get them off my wrist. Stipped them off my ankle no sweat. Getting better at T1. If it wasn't for the waves I would have skipped the suit. I couldn't figure out number or no number. All we got was our hand marked, with a pair of tiny 77 for me. Skipped it.

Practice pulling my arms out.
Bike
  • 42m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 18.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to make this a good bike. We did a brick on Tuesday and I pushed hard on the hills and did some heavy pushing in the big ring. I ran well after that and figured OK let's try it again. My quads were on fire but kept going. Was passed on the uphill by the carbons. But well I guess by forty people or so. The curse of swimming well. Really need to bike better. The way out was headwinds. Felt I was pushing well. There were a few short steep hills that slowed me down some. Came into transition well. Great crowd cheering everyone. Volunteers did a great job out on the course. Spent a lot of time in aero position, trying to get under the wind.

Some day I will learn to just fill the bottle with water. Weight duh. felt good. Avg 18.5mph not much else,
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

I was 25 feet in from the bike return. Hit is well. Got shoes on standing up and tied. No socks! Got a drink of water and sip of coffee. Got hat on and thought that's it! What am I forgetting. Well my race belt but to far on course to return to get it.

Put my race belt on my neck when I take my helmet off.
Run
  • 26m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I needed to feel like I did for Tuesday training. Little different. kept trying to stretch it out. I did run the whole way. Two briefs walks at the rest stop. It was pretty sweet to see the three and four year old picking up cups. They did a good job. I saw Mike coming in on the bike a 1/4 mile into the run. Knew you may soon catch me. had about 4 minutes on him. I'll take it he generally hooks the fish on the run. I hot the mile mark and felt good. Felt a little slower then I should. Kept waiting for the pidder pat of Mike. I know that sound well. Paced off a girl for a while. Came into the uphill again. There is something about doing the course once that makes the second time go better. Mile 2 no Mike. Hit the downhill before the turn to the finish. tried to let is go. Hit the flat and put everything I had left into increasing cadence. Still no Mike. Turned the shoot time 1:33:08, yes minus five minutes under 1:30. Got chip off and turned to see Mike right behind me. Sweet run for me probably the fastest 5K in a tri I've done.

It might of helped to stretch a little more before we started the whole thing. Mike got me a new BT jersey and it's a little small so I felt a little restricted.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Water and talk. I felt good, a little calf cramps but nothing bad. Mike and I walked to the lake, picked a hot dog and stuff on the way. Stood in the water to cool sown a little. return to transition by way of the food tent. Checked our times and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Best tri so far. I beat my goal by close to 2 minutes. I failed to make Mike puke. Still a goal though, he does it so well. I need to lose the weight to help on those uphills.

Event comments:

I have never thought about doing Sodus due to the swim. I'm glad Mike brought it up. It was my third to get my USTA ranking. Waht made it fun was doing it with Mike in my AG. I guess there was a bike craxh on one of the leaders. He may have hit a pothole. I heard they airlifted him to Strong hospital.
Mike and I are one for one so we'll have to see how the Finger Lakes Tri works out. Maybe then we'll both puke.
Great little race limited to 200 participants. Plenty of volunteers. Lots of cheering crowds.
I felt bad for the newbies and poor swimmers in that rough water. I am glad they didn't cancel. Won't blame them if they did. I hope to be able to do it next year too. Mike you are on for Finger Lakes.

Last updated: 2008-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:02 | 792 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 26/172
Performance: Good
Suit: X-terra full suit
Course: Clockwise around a triangle. First leg straight out then right 150 then return to shore. Timed run to transitions
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:42:30 | 13.1 miles | 18.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/18
Overall: 71/172
Max cadance 106, avg 77.
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills. Some nice downhills. Most open rural roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 77
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:27 | 03.11 miles | 08m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/18
Overall: 110/172
Nothing
Course: Out uphill soon then with grades short downhill. Do it 2x. Village streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-17 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Sodus Point Triathlon

2008-08-18 3:45 AM
in reply to: #1609156

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Sodus Point Triathlon

Awesome race!  Sounds like a fun time in the water! I'm sorry I missed it!

Congratulations on making your goal time! Great job!

I could tell Thursday doing the brick that you were on a mission! 

2008-08-18 8:24 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Great race report and congratulations on getting to your goal.  I can't wait to see the duel at FLT
2008-08-19 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Great job!  Way to break your goal by 2 minutes!!!

Cant wait to see how the Carnage in Canandaigua works out next month! 

2008-08-22 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Awesome race dud!  What a horrible swim, I think I would have cried.  Great pace on the bike and after all that a clippin' fast run.

It will be fun to watch the results at FL. 

2008-08-23 7:46 AM

User image

Elite
Awesome race out there. Sodus Point is so nice, I love it during the winter.

2008-08-23 8:58 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Great job out there!  Met your goal time, very nice!  Don't they penalize you for not having your race number on at the finish?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sodus Point Triathlon Rss Feed