Thailand
30C / 86F
Precipitation
Total Time = 37m 3s
Overall Rank = 31/1800?
Age Group = Men 16 to 50
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The race was an early start - 6:30am. I got to the start area about 0530 and was able to spend some time walking around. I was kindly greeted by hundreds of fellow Thai runners who seem to go out of there way to welcome the 'white-guy'.

Thais seem to be very fond of a Bengay type of rubbing oil, but with double the powerful smell. Everyone was rubbing themselves with the super elixr - interesting.

I ran the race in my CNN Tri Nyon outfit - Allez CNN! :) And was only one of a few farangs (forigners) in the crowd of thousands of Thais.
Event warmup:

It was 30C and 120% humidity. No need to warm up!
Run
  • 37m 3s
  • 10 kms
  • 03m 42s  min/km
Comments:

It was hot. I was surprised at my split at 3k (fast) and then at 6k. But then I could feel the heat hitting me and I think I slowed down. I was very pleased with the time - 37min 10K (though must admit that I think the course was a few hundred meter short, but I'm not complaining.).

The Thais are great people. There was no pushing at the start and runners (even in the front) took the time to thank the folks at the water stations with a bow of the head as they picked up their H2O. Subtle, but a very nice gesture.

There was limited traffic on the roads as it was a national holiday - though you did have to suck in the exhaust of the occasional tuk-tuk.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Having not run a lot prior to the race, I was pleased with my time.
Post race
Warm down:

The post race nutrition was quite interesting. The options were chicken satay, steamed pork buns and soya milk. The chicken seem to be the biggest hit. I did manage to find a stand serving up Thai type-energy drink. I must have drank a gallon of the stuff and it seemed to do the job. Got to admit that the rest of the day I did not feel 100% - the result of leaving it all on the race course. This did not garner must sympathy from the wife.

Event comments:

In addition to the 10K there was a 5k race. As the race was in honor of HM the Queen, there were a number of people who ran with large 2' x 3' framed portrait of the Queen. How they managed to pick up these huge frames, let alone run 5k with them is beyond me.

Last updated: 2008-08-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:03 | 10 kms | 03m 42s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 31/1800?
Performance: Good
Ran the first 3km in 11:01 (ahr 163); the second 3k in 11:05 (ahr 171) and the final 4k in 14:57 (ahr 173).
Course: Large loop in downtown Bangkok.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes