General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have a running question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-27 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: I have a running question...
First, I am NOT a gifted runner, nor athlete of any sorts. I am working hard at it though. Through careful research here on the forum and local running stores, I took the plunge and actually bought some REAL running shoes to ease the shock on my knees and body. I still haven't gotten over the shock to my wallet, but that is another issue.

The first part of my run goes OK, but as I begin to tire I have noticed that my left foot plants hard, flat and loud(running on golf cart path) while my right foot lands softly and relatively smoothly. I have thought about having someone go behind me with a video camera so I can see what this looks like. As flexibility in my feet goes, I can point my toes like a ballerina. However, I couldn't touch my toes if my life depended on it. Do I need to do some flexibilty work to get the proper heel-toe step? Your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

2004-02-27 11:51 AM
in reply to: #9567

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: RE: I have a running question...
No answer, but I'm amazed at how much you think about this!! Clearly you have entered a level of athleticism of which I am unacquainted!!

I just run, and I'm tired and it sort of doesn't feel that good (don't worry, it's not pain--just I feel like I'm doing somehting that my body did not intend!)... A video-camera... I'd be afraid to look!!

Dana
2004-02-27 12:21 PM
in reply to: #9569

User image

Elite

Hi Peter,

As a fellow non-athlete, I can sympathize.  While others on this forum do math problems while they run, I mostly listen to my feet.  I am aiming for nice soft landings every time, even when a bit fatigued.  I can't do it perfectly but that is about all I think about -- day after day, year after year.  We enginerds have a high threshold for boredom.

I envy those runners whose feet don't seem to quite hit the pavement.  They just glide along a fraction of an inch above the asphalt.  Amazing.

TW

2004-02-27 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
I know I say this about everything, except swimming, but try smaller steps at a higher turnover. Baby steps really fast. I believe this has helped me improve form. As you get fitter go faster by lengthening you stride. Try not to lift your feet too far off the ground. I really have learned that marathon/Ironman shuffle over the last couple years and it helps me go pretty fast without working hard.
2004-02-27 2:05 PM

East TN
Good question, I too experience this same problem. Always with the left foot. I have found that when I increase my pace it is not as bad, but I tire quicker and elevate my HR too much.
2004-02-27 2:17 PM
in reply to: #9582

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2004-02-27 2:23 PM

Regular
Pensacola, Florida
hi, i don't know if this is it but in the past when i ran i tended to favor a certain position to achieve rhythm. i would lean slightly to the left. that is my weight seemed to concentrate more on the left. i don't think i felt my left foot hit harder or not. it could also have been the cambered road, the slope of the road to the sides. i agree with owie that the marathon/ironman shuffle is the way to go. it's helped me. but then again everyone has their style.
2004-02-27 2:33 PM

Dallas, TX
I have this problem when I run too (sort of). For me when I start to get tired, my left foot starts to hit the ground slightly pigeon-toed. I'm going to try Owie's suggestion...although, I do feel like my stride is already pretty short because I'm only 5'1". This should give the other runners I cross paths with a good laugh.
2004-02-27 2:34 PM

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
I think if my stride gets any shorter, I am going to be running backwards.
2004-02-27 6:00 PM

Veteran
SF East Bay
I hit the ground harder with my left it seems also. When I get fatiqued on longer runs it gets more noticable. I'm afraid to go see a chiropractor as I think one of my legs is shorter than the other and she will make me wear an insert. Dumb reason and I should go I know. As I up my running volume I have been practicing the run technique in Friel's Training Bible, trying to get my foot revs in the 180+/min range. He's a fan of the less heel strike, more midfoot forefoot light quick float running style. The claim is more long distance athletes have a very quick light turnover so if you want to run faster and more efficiently thats the way to go. I was a heavy heel strike and roll the foot kind of runner and it is quite a change. But the joints seem less abused and my heart is going down so I must be getting it. It actually seems to entail a higher foot elevation to lower the pendulum effect of swinging your foot forward, but still it is very quick in turnover and was unatural at first. Then once your get the foot revs high at a slow pace you increase your stride to go faster, foot pace stays the same. I thought that was wierd but it seems to work. I have no hamstring flex from youth running and since I have some lower back issues I heard that may be the problem. So I stretch my hams a lot now to help my back, ie my back book claims few people with flexible hamstrings have back problems? We'll see... and I still can't get down on by aero bars for very long?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have a running question... Rss Feed