General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
JMC Partners
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 55s
Overall Rank = 88/634
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/79
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:45 to go out for a 10 minute run to wake up and shake things loose. Met Laura (startingtotri) and Ellen in the lobby of the Radison at 4:45 for the 20/25 minute walk to the race start. Hit the johnnys, got marked and chatted quickly with Whizzz, Dave O and Dave Clough. Got set up quickly and ready to go right at 6:00.
Event warmup:

Other than the 10 minute run when I got up and then the walk to the race start, I got in a 10 minute swim. Water was beautiful. Saw everyone pre-race from the Salt Creek Tri Club as well as a ton of others from BT. It relaxes and keeps me loose to have the pre-race chit chat and comradery .
Swim
  • 29m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm slow. I'm a solid swimmer and I look pretty good in the water. I don't sway and flail and I can keep a straight line. I'm just a little slow. This is where I need to make the most improvement in the off-season. Other than my issues with the sun I had a hard time sighting in the back half of the swim. I really didn't have a lot of confidence in my line. And I came out of the water on the swim in side of the landing (yikes). I turned the last corner far too wide. Oh and I wasted a lot of time trying to "relax" in the water. I didn't "relax" and it ended up costing me probably about 30 seconds worth of hard swimming. I was very frustrated getting out of the water and was in no mood.
What would you do differently?:

Never mind the bad swimmers (not slow but the bad twisty, turny flailers) around me and begin to swim over people the way others swim over me I guess.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I was the second furthest rack away from the bike in and out. And in the middle. Which I thought was no big deal but I over shot my bike looking for it. I just may get a Sponge Bob balloon to mark my bike the next full race like this. Lots of navigating on the way out. Little slow getting into shoes. I crushed the heels a little bit. Forgot to put body glide in the back of the shoe to make it easier.

Put the body glide in the shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 20s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I heard this was short. I know I was comfortably over 21 mph average but not 22.8?! I'll take it. It looks good. Like I said I was a little angry about my swim and my time in getting out of transition. I actually was out of the saddle for the first minute of the bike and yelled a little bit to myself in frustration as I was getting up to speed. I did a lot of out of the saddle up the hills since I was instructed to bike like I didn't have to run afterward. Didn't take as much advantage of the sling shotting on the second loop as I should have.

More sling shotting. More out of saddle on hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I don't know how this was slower than T1. Oh I know - there was this chick that slid just past me around the final corner and force me way to the out side and I had to slip outside the cones and just missed clipping the wooden divider horses on that narrow stretch into the bike dismount. I flew off my bike and she then would not get out of my way in T2. I yelled on your left and she wouldn't let me by. She was running in her bike shoes and way too slow for me. I let her have it verbally (much to the dismay of her cheering section outside the transition barriers - sorry folks).

Not sure. Did everything as fast as I could but was set up on the opposite end of the bike in and run out.
Run
  • 43m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Solid run and I've gone faster but I also had to "go" again. Second race in a row. I saw the johnny in the middle of mile one and just had to defuel. I know its only an olympic and I should have done the deed somewhere along the way but I just can't do it. Even with the stop here are my splits:
1 - 7:26 (potty break)
2 - 7:04
3 - 6:48
4 - 7:31 (what happened here?)
5 - 7:01
6 - 7:01
.21 - 1:18

Not stop in the johnny.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk, walk, walk. Gatorade stat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I blame Genetics and the man. The man is always keeping me down.

Event comments:

Great race as always. PP knows what they are doing. The field is always stacked for this race which makes it a lot of fun. I was a little out of sorts because Jen wasn't there. I saw a chick between around mile 5 right around the time I probably would have seen Jen who was wearing a top that Jen typically wears. That bummed me out a little bit. I missed having her there post race (but she's still a Rock Star and an awesome tri chick so don't let her absence fool you). I have to be pleased with my performance regardless of the nit picking...my previous Olympic distance PR was 2:30 (and that was like three weeks ago) and the last time I did PP (2006) my time was 2:39. Sure 2:21:58 is no Schmize (2:09!) but I'll take it.

Last updated: 2008-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:26 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 31/79
Overall: 226/634
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca Sleeveless
Course: Triangle. After first turn the long stretch was right into the sun. Really hard to site. Fortunately, there's some sort of factory in the distance and I just figured if I could keep the smoke stack a little to my right I'd be ok.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:20 | 24.85 miles | 22.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/79
Overall: 137/634
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops. Crowded second loop. Too many folks out for a ride riding three and four across. Definite Southwest headwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85+
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:47 | 06.21 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/79
Overall: 71/634
Performance: Average
Course: little loopy out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 11:47 AM

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race

2008-08-18 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1610650

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race
Sounds like you were racked near my.  How the sam hell did you pull off those "t" times? Damn.  Great race.
2008-08-18 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

That's a solid race right there, that's what that is.

You blasted the bike, and then the run.  Some work on swimming, and you'll be in rockstar territory with Schmize soon enough!

Mile4 was definitely marked long, as I've seen several splits now where that was 15-20 seconds off for people from the rest of the course.  That's the mile with the run turn on the highway, so I think it depends on where they spot the turn.

Good to see ya out there, and Laura just wants to add "Hey, your head is sweating!".   

2008-08-18 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Nice job!  You fast!!
2008-08-18 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great PR, man!  That was a solid race for sure.  You stuck with the game plan and finished strong. 

FWIW, that time is very similar to mine from last year.  So, just work on that swimming in the off season, don't go to the bathroom on the run, and you will smoke me next year.  Really.  Screw "the man"

As always, great to see you out there.  Holly and I stayed at the Radisson, as well.  Should have organized that a bit better....

2008-08-18 1:51 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

whoops - double post.

Nothing has changed.  Great race

Edited by schmize 2008-08-18 1:52 PM

2008-08-18 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1610780

User image

Regular
Oak Park, Il
Joe Runner - 2008-08-18 12:18 PM Sounds like you were racked near my.  How the sam hell did you pull off those "t" times? Damn.  Great race.
flying elbows and lots of expletives.
2008-08-18 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Great job at the race. Awesome to set a PR like that too.

And I'm so glad you didn't have to make that dark 20-25 minute walk in the rain with eerie lightening flashing somewhere off in the distance like last year.
2008-08-18 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Even though you forgot to mention me in your race report JONATHAN, I will give you a hearty CONGRATULATIONS on a very good race!!! Well done!

It was nice chatting with you on Saturday in transition...by the looks of it, I may be out for PF Chang's, but then again, it is only August, so we'll see!

And since we were in the same vacinity, I would have to agree on what a clusterf*ck it was in our area...not good!  Way to make the best of it.

2008-08-19 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL

The Man was out there?  I didn't see him.  Wait,  I did.  It was you.  U da man!  You were keeping yourself down.  Figures.  It is always an inside job.  I wish I could run 7 minute miles in an OLY.  As Beavis would say, "Yeah, em, that would be cool".  The thing is that I weigh 200lbs!  I could blame it on genetics, but I still like to eat whole boxes of cereal at a sitting.  What am I talking about?  word, words, words

I am assuming that since you did not mention anything about nutrition, it must have went well.

Great race!  Thanks for stopping at the potty and letting me beat you   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed