Set-Up, Inc.
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 2s
Overall Rank = 53/143
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, made coffee, stretched, got dressed, packed the car and drove out to the race with Dan.
Event warmup:

No warm up, besides running around in transition because I lost a cap to my bike and needed to replace it or get DQ'ed. Also waited in line at the bathroom for about 15 mins. Splashed around in the water for a couple mins. prior to the start.
Swim
  • 19m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well, I def. made some rookie mistakes on the swim. First off, it was really foggy and I couldn't locate the yellow bouy from where I was, I should have asked but as soon as the start went off, I went. I ended up swimming towards a guy on a surf board in a yellow shirt and had to swim way back out to the first bouy. I actually had to physically stop, tread water and look for the people in red caps (first wave) because i still couldn't see the bouy from where I was. It was a really bad 'opps'. Also had trouble breathing as my wetsuit was too tight around my neck, need to remember to loosen that a future races. The rest of the swim went alright. I need to work on keeping a tighter line to the course.
What would you do differently?:

Sight correctly and loosen my wetsuit at the neck.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

I took my sweet time, purposefully. I remember having a really hard time getting my HR to drop down in T1 from the sprint. I didn't want to make the same mistake here. I know that I just need to take a few seconds, take a deep breath and my HR will drop about 20-30 bpm which sets me up better for the bike. Also needed to get a drink from my water bottle because I can't drink on the bike yet. My transition area was near a tree, so I had to run over the mound of mulch next to the tree to get out of my area, so I think that cost me a few seconds.

Learn to drink on the bike so that I don't spend T1 time sipping from my water bottle.
Bike
  • 1h 32m 28s
  • 26.3 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

PAINFULL. My lower back started hurting within the first mile of this course. I knew it was going to be a tough ride but I wanted to prove to myself that I could do this course. There were many times I wanted to give up but at the same time I kept telling myself that I could do it and get through it and NOT to give up. Its very humbling to see people go by you as if you were standing still and at the same time made me want to work that much harder so that one day I can keep up with them. Stood up at least 20-30 times, I lost count after awhile. This was a lot of time to think about how much more time I need on the bike. This course made me realize how much work I need to put into this sport but also how badly I want it. I want to get better.

Bike, bike, bike. More time on the bike training, less time talking about training on the bike. Stregthen my back and get a proper bike fit.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

So happy to be off the bike that I don't really remember anything except relief of standing up. Took a couple of deep breaths, quick thought about not doing the run, put the running shoes on and off I went.

Nothing.
Run
  • 58m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a really rough run for me, mentally, physically and emotionally. Mentally, I kept going back and forth between stopping and keeping moving so I could finish. Physically, I was out of it. My legs had tightened up to the point that it hurt to even walk, I was dehydrated (evident by all the salt caked on my face), my chest hurt and I was having trouble breathing. Emotionally it was hard to see female after female pass me.

I don't know what else I would have done differently on the run. I think it was the swim and the bike that effected the run, so until I work out the kninks there, I think my runs are going to be rough.

I have so much respect for all those women out there who can run hard at the end of the tri. I could barely move my legs and there were people out there cranking away.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't warm down, I didn't want to move. I just wanted to sit down so I could rest my back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, or lack there of. I need to train consistantly.

Event comments:

Though this was a really hard race for me I have to say that I learned a lot about myself as a triathlete. Do I think this course was beyond my ability level? yes but I also think that it helped me realize where I need to put in the time and work. I did the best I could do on that day and I didn't leave anything out there.

Last updated: 2008-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:33 | 1500 meters | 01m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/28
Overall: 1/143
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU C-1 Wetsuit
Course: Two loops of the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:32:28 | 26.3 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/28
Overall: 67/143
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Out, 2 loops and Back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:58 | 06.2 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/28
Overall: 83/143
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and Back Twice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: Luray Olympic Triathlon

2008-08-18 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1610691

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Luray Olympic Triathlon
YEAH!! You finished and did a good job.  The hill at the end was horrible and you made it.  Great to see you and Dan and now you are warmed up for the next one.
2008-08-18 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great race, and way to be strong and not quit. It is a really tough course. Nice job.
2008-08-18 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great job Ally!

This was your first Oly in your first year of triathlons on a really hard course and you still broke three hours, which is not easy.

You won the swim by over 2 minutes, averaged over 17 on the bike and still were able to run at a solid pace.

Great job. Reston is going to be easy after that race.
2008-08-18 8:37 PM

Congrats, Ally! That is a TOUGH course, to be sure.

2008-08-19 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Congrats on your first Oly!  You did a great job, even if you thought the course was too hard for your ability.

Z
2008-08-19 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Great work, Ally! Sub 3 suffering? You will fly Reston
2008-08-19 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Great first Oly especially with your back hurting.  Congratulations!

Ernie

2008-08-21 10:14 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Great job on finishing your first Olympic race.  You're headed in the right direction and learning a lot.  stick with that attitude and you'll do great things!
2008-08-21 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Good job on your finish!

Edited by nickster 2008-08-21 4:38 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Luray Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed