Set-Up, Inc.
Total Time = 3h 06m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up early eat and head out to the race.
Event warmup:

Got there and got body marking and my chip. The racks where assigned but I got luckly I was the first rack as you came in to the transtion from the swim and it was also right at the exit for the run. I got set up, talked to a few folks and got in the water for a couple of minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 25m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

First off about the swim, for some reason they gave men 30-39 pink swim caps, I have no idea why but that is what we got.
The swim is my strongest event, even if I do not get to pool that often. I enjoy the open water and the "fighting" for postion. We started and it was a normal start, just trying to find an open place to swim, I started passing the wave ahead before the first turn. I did have a little trouble sighting because of the early morning fog, but just took a few strokes with my head up and out of the water and was able to locate the markers. On the second lap passed many more folks and headed for the beach to go find my bike.
I came out of the water 89/313 men and was pleased so far, but I also knew the big hills where still ahead.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Long run and up a flight of stairs to the T1.

???
Bike
  • 1h 37m 1s
  • 26.4 miles
  • 16.33 mile/hr
Comments:

This course is hilly. Luray is up in the mountains and this is a tough course. I knew coming into to this race I had not biked enough but I felt like I got my butt kicked on the bike. Things started out OK, but it was downhill. I was a little tenative on the big downhills since I took a spill early this year. 35-40 mph down hill and had folks flying past me. I was not confident to be on the areo bars on this hills. Anyway the bike like the swim and run is 2 loops so as you head out you know you got all this twice. At times it seemed to be up hill the whole route, even when it looked flat it was a slight long incline that just was tough on me. I was allready wooped toward the end and then they had one last big old hill for you. I looked down and I was going 7 MPH and it was all I had. I was finally able to pass a couple of people after all the folks I passed/beat on the swim had passed me.
I also got 26.4 on my bike computer.
I lost a lot of time on the bike and trashed my legs because of lack of training, but I was still having fun.

Train. Ride my bike. Train. Not be lazy
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Racked the bike got my running shoes off and left.

nada
Run
  • 59m 43s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

A hilly run course, but no where as hilly as the bike. It again was 2 laps. I felt good for the first 2 miles and at this point was feeling confident about beating my 2007 time. If I have trained for one part it was the run. As I got about to mile 2.75 I felt a little muscle cramping in my thighs. This I am sure was from the biking. I started back out on the second loop and kinda started to feel good again. I had a little LSU crowd at the turn around cheering me.(Got to love spectators who cheer for "us") The first part of the second loop was good, felt strong and then my legs started getting heavy, very heavy. The up hill sections began to hurt and I had to walk a little up one of the hills because of muscle cramping. At mile 5 I was flirting with not beating my 07 time. I pushed a little bit, but I did not have much left in my legs. I made the last little left and you can see the finish line a few hundred yards away. Well at this point my legs said #$% you, and just cramped up badley. I walked for maybe 5-10 seconds trying to let the cramp lessen so I could run in. I started running and got to the line and beat my time by just seconds.

Train for the bike which in turn may make the run less painful.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, food....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of training, but who do I have to blame that on......

Event comments:

Good race. Hard course.

Last updated: 2008-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:21 | 1640 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Two laps in the lake.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:37:01 | 26.4 miles | 16.33 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: HILLY
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:43 | 06.2 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Subject: Luray Olympic Triathlon

2008-08-19 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1611017

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: RE: Luray Olympic Triathlon

Looks like our swim times were only 3 seconds apart, so we must have been running up those stairs at the same time.  Congrats on beating your '07 time!

I thought it was strange they gave us pink swim caps too.

2008-08-19 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Way to go for beating last years time. At least you have been running, unlike a few other people I know  Way to get out there knowing the training has been slow.
2008-08-19 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Congrats on beating your 2007 time!

Agree with you on the pink caps..at least the RD has a good sense of humor!
2008-08-19 3:32 PM

Pro
AZ

Holy hell you are a fast swimmer!!   I guess I will cut you some slack for not getting in the pool.  Nice job pushing through the tough bike and run!! 

Were the LSU fans brought to the race by the short bus?

2008-08-19 4:08 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Good race and congrats on beating last year.  I think the distances were off for all 3 events. 

Ernie

2008-08-19 7:18 PM

User image

Williamsburg
Great job! Awesome swim!!
2008-08-20 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow, I wish I could put together a race like that...nice job especially on the swim.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Luray Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed