United States
EndorFun
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 12m 28s
Overall Rank = 1359/1530
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 241/259
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2:30am (alarm was set for 3:00), left the condo just after 3:00 and arrived at race site at 3:30. Met with with my coach and another athlete on our team around 4:00. Bodymarking at 5:00, set up transition and then went back to our team's tent to hang out for a bit.
Event warmup:

Headed down to the beach around 6:00 to put my wetsuit on and do a warmup swim.
Swim
  • 41m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out towards the back of my wave because I was not sure about the pace, so I had to swim around/over a few folks in the first 200y. After that I had plenty of room to myself until the wave behind me (the young and lovely women under 35 wave) caught up to me about half way through. After the last turn the water turned really choppy, so I had to struggle through it and my pace slowed a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front of the wave, and do some more practice in choppy water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I had planned on a longer T1 than usual because of the overall length of the race, but it actually turned out to be pretty short. Ran along the edge of the park into transition, flopped down on the mat so the wetsuit strippers could take off my suit, then headed over the my bike. The only problem I had was that I ran down the wrong aisle, so I had to turn around and go back and then down the next row. Put on my glasses, race belt and helmet, then ran to the exit. Hopped on the bike easily, got rolling and got my feet in my shoes before the first hill.

Simulate the run from the beach to my bike so I don't go down the wrong aisle.
Bike
  • 3h 20m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great as soon as I hopped on the bike, and was able to hammer up the first hill. On the way down my Garmin beeped for the first mile, which was surprisingly under 3 minutes. Most of the way out I felt great, but I went a bit faster than I should have. I knew that the way back would be slower because of the hills, so I went a bit faster on the way out, but in the end it turned out that I went too fast. I suffered a bit on the way back, especially with the last few hills. Near the end there were a few steep downhills, and I chickened out and rode them on the bullhorns instead of the aero bars. I don't feel as bad though, because even on the bullhorns I was doing 50 miles an hour!

Pace myself a little more evenly.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

T2 was pretty uneventful. Racked my bike, put my socks and shoes on, then headed out for the run.
Run
  • 3h 05m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was basically a suffer-fest from start to end. Going to fast on the bike caught up to me, and I ended up walking most of the way. The only positive notes were that my shins and my stress fracture (prior problems) did not bother me at all. I just had no gas left in the tank.

More run training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around after the finish, drench myself in cold water, drank a bunch of water and Gatorade and had some food.

Event comments:

Since this was my first HIM I was pretty pleased with my pace, and I came in within 8 minutes of my goal pace (7:05). I was also pleased that the problems I had were expected and explainable, there were no surprises. By far, it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life!

Last updated: 2007-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:18 | 2112 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/259
Overall: 919/1530
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangular course, swam clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:20:17 | 56 miles | 16.78 mile/hr
Overall: 1199/1530
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:05:18 | 13.1 miles | 14m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 1444/1530
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron
Just the data for now, will add the commentary later.

Edited by scott 2008-08-18 1:46 PM

2008-08-18 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1611057

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron

Hey Scott -

I think this would be a really hard course to do as a HIM - those hills in NH are killer!  Great job getting through it!  Looks like you had a great swim! 

2008-08-19 3:47 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome Job Scott COngratulations on your first HIM!!!  See you this weekend
2008-08-25 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Hey Scott,

Great to see you at Cranberry yesterday -- I bet the run felt better there than it did last weekend at Timberman, right?   Just a thought:  did you get enough pre-race and mid-race nutrition on the bike at the HIM.  Eating while racing is hard, but oh-so-essential to not bonking on the run, and it sounds like you may have hit the bonk-wall pretty hard.  What do you think?

And wow, 50mph on the downhill...sweet!  I would be on the hoods, not down on the aerobars for that, too. 

Cheers, -Sunny

2008-09-09 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Congrats Scott.  50 mph?  Dang. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed