EndorFun
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 15m 58s
Overall Rank = 926/1452
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 199/259
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a friends house that was an hour and a half away so I was up at 3:30 am and on the road by 4. I at my wheaties, bagel, Oj, and a little coffee on the way. Got to he site and already had my bike in the transition area from the drop off the prvious night. It was a tight squeeze on the racks but lucky for me the two people next to me didn't show up, so I had lots of room. I borrowed a pump to top off my tires and when I went to top off the front one, BLAM! it blew. I could tell that the stem jammed into the tube and just split it. I tried to stay cool and the guy who let me borrow his pump offered me an extra tube. I had a spare, but only one spare. He was so cool about it. I offered to pay him, but he said now way, it was better carma just to give it to me. I was so thankful. I am also glad I practiced changing my tires. I was done in about 2 minutes and I kept setting up. Our swim start was down the beach a bit and we were to be out of the transition area at 6:30. I had a half hour to spare so I thouth I would hit the porta potty, come back and get my wet suit on and head to the start. I go to the lines of doom and wondered if a half hour would be enough time. I got out of the porta potty with 5 minutes to spare. Got my wet suit on and headed down the beach to the start. They had a bag piper playing, sky divers land on the beach and the pros in the water. I heard the annoucer say to cross the start line in a single file so our timing chips would....Shit! my timing chip! I looked down and it was not there. I took it off to get the suit on and forgot to put it back on. I was a bit flipped to say the least. My wave was the 3rd to go and the were calling the first right now. I ran back to the transition area (about 20 yards away) shuffled through my stuff and found it under my towel and I ran back. My heart racing, I still had a good 5 minutes before I got in the water and five before the horn went off. Wow!
Event warmup:

No time to warm up. I did get in the water a little and splashed around a little.
Swim
  • 45m 32s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I seeded myself on the outside and in the back. I never swam this distance conitinuously, in a race, with others, in open water. I just wanted to keep it smooth and not have any major mistakes. Going to the firts bout was great. I stayed nice and straight, good breathing and sighting, I flet nice and calm. I turned the bouy fine then I tried to sight and that sucked. We were looking directly into the sun. I couldn't see a thing. I don't think I was the only only, because it seed to be more hectic then the start. I sighted much less and when I did I actually had to stop, and look around. I turned the second bouy and still felt off course a little. The waves were picking up and I seemed to have lost my rhythm. I hung in there and just got back to show without killing myself.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to become stronger in the water. Other then that, I think I did the best I could and was happy with it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

I didn't rush it. I wanted to make no more mistakes. It was a big area to navigate through. I probably could have gone fatser, but I didn't want to be 10 miles out and realize I forgot something (like my timing chip before the swim).

now that I have this under my belt, I would go a little faster.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Like my swim, I just need to become a stronger biker. I was amazed at how some people could just fly by and just never slow down. I now know I prefer scenic, changing courses. I am not a fan of long, flat, courses.

just work on strength.
Transition 2
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

Again, I just took my time. I couldn't believe I was about to run a half marathon. I debated a lot about taking my belt with gatorade on board and I decide to do it just in case. I double check everythin and I stopped at the porta potty on the way out.

A little more speed and probably not use the belt.
Run
  • 2h 14m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 1/4 was tought. I just zoned and focused. I tried not to think about it too much. The second 1/4 was tough too. When I hit the turn around, I thought that it would be hell. I just maintained my pace and it was all that bad. I made a mental note of when I was going to try and kick it in on the way back if I felt good. On the last 1/4 I made sure I stayed cool, drank and at the point I marked, I turned it on (at least I felt that way) I just kept building speed more and more as I felt the end nearing. I heard the crowd and I came running full speed down the last shoot which was about 150yards. It felt great. Then I saw some people laying on the sides and I thought-yikes! Then as I was a bout to cross the finish line, about 3 people crossed in front of me and medics were on there way out with a stretcher. So much for finishing pictures.

Now that I have seen my split times, they weren't as great as I felt, but all and all not too bad. Like everything else, just work on my strength.
Post race
Warm down:

I was given a nice cold , wet towel and I went in a cool tent which had misty water spraying. Walked around a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

overall strength.

Event comments:

For my first experience, it was great. Very orgazined, lots of fun activities before and nice perks like hats, t-shirt, finishers medal, etc....I loved the run course most with so much support, it got me through the toughest time and made it fun. I was impressed with how well every thing was marked and organized. It is not the most condusive space to hold such a large evet, yet it was pulled off so well. I have one criticism, but it is minor. There was a lot of food for the athletes after the race, but unfortunately, there was one line and a 30 minute wait. That line was that long for a few hours. I was tired, hot, hungry, but the last thing I wanted to do was stand for 30 minutes for free food. Minor personal issue there.
I did get to see team hoyt, andy potts and I met chrissy wellington and had here sign my bib. She is so very nice. It was a great experience and I am glad that race was my first HIM.

Last updated: 2007-12-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:32 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 222/259
Overall: 0/1452
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: the course was out to the north, turn east, then turn south back to the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:09:22 | 56 miles | 17.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 208/259
Wind: Little
Course: Nutty course. A little bit of everything.It was extremely well marked. You would have to be a moron to get lost on this course. The start had a few grades and a little winding around. Then there was a fun section of hills both up and down. There was some good speed cruzing down and around hills and turns. I liked that. Then it seemed to flatten out and become boring. Very boring for me. The aid stations were plentyful, but I didn't like that we were given bottles of water or bottles of gatorade. Not "bike" waterbottles, but bottles. Maybe this is what they do everywhere, but these don't exactly fit in the waterbottle cages well, or at all. I chuck my first of 2 bottles at the 2nd aid station when I discovered this. So I took some swigs and chucked it. I nursed my bottle through the race and grab the rest at the stations. I could only chug some and then chuck them. On the way back I was looking forward to the hilly parts again for variety. My back was sore, and those long stretches gave me lots of time to think about it. One section was bumpy as hell for a mile or two, but the rest was smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:14:03 | 13.1 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 181/259
Course: a two loop out and back. I would say the course was rolling with one steep section about 100 yards long. Lots of people on the course cheering us on. It was very cool! Bands, fans, people lining the streets, good views, one guy had a snow maching and had a huge pile of snow giving everyone snow balls. Lots of water hoses-it made it so much more bearable.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2008-08-23 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1612070

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron

Mike,

You did a great job on your first HIM.  I would have been mentally out of the loop with the tire blowing like that.  Great job out there!

2008-08-25 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Way to go on the course!  Your times are great and you seemed to stay focused and relaxed, which is not easy for a first timer. 

Timberman was my first (but not last) in 2006 and I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. 

Cheers, -Sunny

2008-08-25 1:50 PM

Pro
AZ
Wow Mike! What an awesome race you had!!!  Great times all around, and you were able to enjoy it all!!  Nice job forgetting your timing chip! haha! I bet that got your HR up before the race even started!!!  Again....nicely done!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed