EndorFun
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 44m 11s
Overall Rank = 609/1530
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/101
Pre-race routine:

drove up to New Hampshire on Sat. Registered at Gunstock and then had lunch. went to Elacoya park and did a shake down swim and shake down ride both about 20mins each. Then finished taking care of bike, racked it and went to hotel. Dinner out and then to bed. Fell asleep watching women's marathon.

Up at 3:15 dressed, grabbed a bagel, 2 bananas and a cup of coffee. Drove straight to Elacoya while eating. Was at the park by 4:30am and laid in car eating and relaxing. Headed to transition at 5am and setup. Then wandered, several portopot stops, and back to care to listen to music. Down to beach by 6:45 as they had a special treat... sky divers while the nathional anthem was being sang. I was the 10th wave to start so that meant a long wait.
Event warmup:

Walk around, 100 yards of swimming and gu at 25 mins out.
Swim
  • 34m 25s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was one of the best I have ever had as far as time, feel, breathing, drafting and mentally. I started front row on the left side (outside of buoy line). There was too large of a group on the inside, so I felt that I could get clean water and be able to swim a cleaner race if I had some room to start. Unlike the sprint on the 3rd, I did not want to go out too fast, I wanted to feel good and find some feet. And that is exactly what I did. Immediately started with bilateral breathing (something I have never done right from the start) and then at the first buoy found some feet and stayed there until the first turn. Took the turn wide as there was a large pile up. Made it clear and found another pair of feet. Started to swim into/through the previous waves. Drafting became a little more challenging as we swam upon people. But stayed on feet most of the second leg and then the start of the 3rd and final leg. but 4 buoys from the finish lost the feet and just swam. focused on drafting, long strokes and keeping it a nice steady pace that was not too fast... swam through the last 2 buoys and people started to stand, but I swam until I was almost hitting the bottom with my hands. Stood up and ran to transition.
What would you do differently?:

maybe try a little faster or more competitive start position. But then again, I mentally was better where I started.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

wet suit strippers were young boys, but they knew exactly what to do and suit was off with no issue.

No real issues in transition, made sure to get everything done and move out as quickly as possible.

Definitely room for improvement but not too bad.

Practice more...
Bike
  • 3h 04m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.24 mile/hr
Comments:

This ride was overall a good ride, I left transition and got into a climb mode. first 12 miles were climbing so I had to take it easier and then hit it on the flats. First 40mins = 15.84mph/169hr/146watts. Then got into the flat 1:43 = 19.13mph/167hr/138watts. Then went into the climbs home for last 12 miles = 17.74mph/162hr/117watts. Gu shot every 30mins, gu2o mix for 3 hrs and drank all of it, grabbing a water at each aid station, mixing it with the mixture. 2 endurolytes at 1 hr and 2 at 2:15.

Passed Nate at about the 30 mile marker. came up on him and tweaked his arse. was going to slap him, but didn't know what his reaction would be so figured a nice tweak was best bet. told him he won the bet about the race track being on the bike course so I had to drive the last hr home. Went by and about a min later he comes riding up along side and states I can renegotiate the bet, "if you know what I mean". I state "you wish" and push on.

At about the 40 mile mark a pack of 3 women from my age group go by me all drafting off each other. Those were the only ones from my age group I saw pass me after the first 12 miles on the ride. Otherwise I felt like I rode solid and kept on plan.

dropped chain once, but didn't lose too much time fixing it.

training, hill climbing skills???
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Moved a little slow through transition as there were some slower dismounts and runners in front of me. Racked bike, shoes on, visor and and left. Started to feel the urge to find a portopot and figured I would hit the first one on the course.

practice...
Run
  • 2h 00m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

when I had to hit the first portopot and spent 2mins in there, I was starting to worry. But in staying with my goal of changing any negative to a positive, I went on to run the course and try to make it without stopping or at least only stopping for a portopot. I knew I could not run at a faster pace as I feared pushing it and needing another portopot and one not being there.

each time the heat or the negative thoughts started to creep into my head I changed my thought to something different/something positive. Overall I think this is the best thing that came of my slow run. I worked through the mental game. Stayed on nutrition and did a small shot of gu from flask ever 1.5-2miles. drank h2o and gatorade first lap. then switched to water and coke for 2nd lap. 2 endurolytes at 1hr.

Saw Nate 4 times cheering each other on. Saw Stacy a couple of times and then came upon her at just before mile 10. She stated that she felt like 3 Jorge's were sitting on her chest. I laughed and stated one would kill me:)

I could not take splits as I knew I was slower then I wanted, but I finally took the split at the 12mile marker. the last 1.1 miles = 8.27. Now I wish I had done that the whole race, but at least I did not shat myself in public.

work on the run. not have GI issues. move it....
Post race
Warm down:

walk over to cool down tent (misting tent) and sit for 5min talking with other athletes. then go look for kiddie pools like the year before (avatar). but none to be found. went back and watched finish, look for Nate. Watch Andy Potts spend time with his family at the finish. Watch the Hoyts finish and listened to Todd Crandall talk with some other athletes. Then Nate came across :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

GI issues on run. training, practice...

Event comments:

This is an awesome 70.3 race. It is a great location, challenging course and awesome pro field. I can not say enough and really have no negative comments. Only thing is you need to make reservations for a hotel a year in advance. If you want an amazing place to stay, Lake Opechee Inn and Spa is awesome; expensive, but worth it for a weekend escape.

I will be back to this race again. Probably not next year, but it will be on our schedule in the future.

Last updated: 2008-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:25 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/101
Overall: 0/1530
Performance: Good
Suit: ironman longjohn
Course: 6 buoys out, turn right 90degrees and swim 6 more buoys, then turn 90degrees and swim the last 6 buoys in
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:04:15 | 56 miles | 18.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/101
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Leave Elecoya and first 12 miles are climbing and rolling, then there is a fast false flat down turn around and a false flat up back with the last 12 miles of climbing
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:00:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/101
Performance: Below average
Course: course runs along side the lake on a rolling course. first 1.5 miles are a slight uphill, then a nice down, then up and down. Turn around and back up and down. Do that 2 times.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2008-08-19 6:34 AM
in reply to: #1612096

User image

Niskayuna, NY
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron

Great job!  Way to stay positive and keep your mind on task.  Way to go.  Hilarious that nate thought about what he would say for 10 miles.

2008-08-19 6:45 AM

User image

Master
CT

great job! too bad about the GI issues but keeping the positive thoughts in place clearly is a good tool to develop!

congrats on fine race! 

2008-08-20 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran

wet suit strippers were young boys, but they knew exactly what to do and suit was off with no issue.

Of course they were fast...that was probably their dream volunteering job, helping hot girls out of wetsuits all morning.  

Great race all around. Way to stick out the GI issues on the run and finish strong.  

2008-08-20 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
..Sweet race..!!!
2008-08-20 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
great race heidi. super swim and bike...man i would die pushing that HR for that long on the bike! way to stick with it on the run and work on the mental aspects...it's a very important, and often overlooked, part of endurance racing.

2008-08-20 11:57 AM

User image

Great Race Report and even better Race,  Congrats.
2008-08-25 1:39 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Congrats on the race and way to tough it up when the day threw at some curve balls at you . now it is all about FL!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed