General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
JMC Partners
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 13m 18s
Overall Rank = 626/627
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 51/51
Pre-race routine:

Checked in and had din-din with some other BTers the night prior...mmmm...curly noodles w/ mama's red sauce, mushrooms and spinach. YUMMY! Good food, good peeps, good times. Drove to my BFF's house in Racine and crashed there for the night. Woke up a little before 4 am...got my stuff together, ate a bagel and a protein drink and headed off. Parked in the bumpiest field ever and took the shuttle to the race site. Got transition set up then chatted with Force, Clint, Terri, Jen, Mark, etc as I saw them. Shout out to Vicwithnumbers...he recognized me from my avy and introduced himself before the swim.
Event warmup:

Went sleeveless for the wetsuit and it was a good choice. The water was GREAT...did a few hundred yards and didn't want to get out because the water was warmer then the air. Hung around talking to the Donkeys until it was time for my wave to go off.
Swim
  • 46m 47s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off towards the back. Got in and was able to get into a decent rhythm pretty much right off the bat. Almost made it to the first bouy before being overtaken by light purple caps (the wave after me). Just kept swimming. I went a bit off course...a bit too far from the buoys, so I added a bit to the swim. At one time I looked up and saw a purple cap by me...turned out it was Terri...we were both off course, so we took off to get back to it. Made it around the second turn buoy and was then very glad that I'm good at bilateral breathing. I was able to switch it up and just breath to my right so I wasn't blinded by the sun. At least there is some talent there...made it out of the drink and trotted up to my transition spot.
What would you do differently?:

It's about what I expected. Could have sighted better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

This was about right for a T1 for me...though I did feel a little clumsy with the shoes.

Racked bike differently or set up transition behind my bike. My seat is rather high, and where I'd placed my transition caused me to need to pull it out from under the racks...that doesn't work so well. Either that or they need to prop the racks up a bit higher.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 39s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.45 mile/hr
Comments:

I know this course, so I was ALMOST glad it was 2 loops of the sprint. The ALMOST part come in where the crowd was ridiculously heavy, and it was obvious people didn't know the rules. And then there were people who I KNEW should know the rules and broke them anyway (passing on the right is NOT cool, Mr. Aero Helmet Race Wheel Guy). I was not as aggressive as I could have been. I could have passed more. I would get freaked out by people passing me...plus the fact that I was trying to follow the no-drafting rules...made it slightly absurd. Either I need to become less legalistic, people need to pay more attention to the rules, or both. Bike marshals would have been nice...I'm sure they would have had a field day with all the violations.
The course itself is relatively flat with some rollers, a medium size hill going over a bypass that you have to go up and over 2x doing the Oly course. Stayed in my big chain until the end to let my legs feel again. I am happy to say that nothing went numb...fingers, toes, elsewhere, so I was happy with that.

Be more aggressive. I could have gone faster. Need to push more. But I was happy that I averaged over 16 mph
Transition 2
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

Yikes! This sucked! Normally my T2 time is much better. I over shot my rack and ended up going down the back side of where I should have been. They had let people who were finished back in to get their stuff (even though they said they weren't until the last bike was in), so they were in the way. I really wouldn't mind this if they would bother paying a bit more attention to the fact that some of us are still trying to go. Makes me very upset.

Go down the right side so I can grab my stuff. Ignore other people...or run into them if I have to.
Run
  • 1h 48m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 17m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

If I could cross out the word "run" right now, I would. It was mostly a walk with a couple of slow trots here and there. It got hot and I was undertrained. I just kept going to I could finish and stop. When I hit the turn around, I started wondering if I might take off my socks and shoes and go jump back in the lake when I was done. My knees were hurting and just wanted me to stop. Saw a lot people people on their way back as I was on my way out. On the way back, it was pretty much me and a couple other people. The aid stations were still out there, but the people had left. They were good enough to leave the water and the gatoraid (I'd taken my water bottle with me, so I would just top off). About a mile or so out, I see 2 figures walking towards me, asking if there were any Donkeys out this way...I told them no. Heh. Clint and Jeff asked if they could join me, and I said only if they don't expect me to talk to them. They were fine with that, so they hung back and chatted with each other as I plodded my way along...trotting here, walking there. Wanting very badly to go under the fire hydrant they'd opened up to spray, but knowing that it would cause blisters (already had them anyway, didn't want to make them worse). I think I managed to jog the last 3/4 mile in...Jeff and Clint cheering me from behind, Terri and AJ waiting for me at the finish. Amy comes up before I'm done to give me a cold towel...my comment? "Could you let me finish, first?" I'm such a beyotch when I'm racing...don't talk to me, don't look at me, but don't leave me, either...ugh. Maybe I should mix Midol with my Heed...Anyway...trotted over the finish line and told the guy to hurry up cutting my timing chip off...I was swollen and it was starting to cut off my circulation. THEN I got the nice cold cloth...

Trained.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talking to Donkeys. Got a nice cold washcloth from a volunteer (very nice). Road my bike back to my car (why did I do that?)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training...seems to be a trend with me.

Event comments:

Relatively good race. Will probably do it again. Need bike marshals out on the course. There were NONE, and LOTs of violations going on. I would also like it if they used the velcro timing chips instead of the bands...my ankles are thick and they don't fit well. I broke the first one I had...

Many thanks to my Donkey brothers and sisters who hung out til I was done. It really means more then I can say...and I hope I don't sound too grumpy when I tell you not to talk to me til I'm done. Thanks to others who couldn't stay but cheered me on when they saw me...

Last updated: 2007-12-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:47 | 1640 yards | 02m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 51/51
Overall: 618/627
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless neosport
Course: Right triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:30:39 | 24.85 miles | 16.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 50/51
Overall: 615/627
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops of the sprint distance
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:59
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:48:27 | 06.21 miles | 17m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/51
Overall: 627/627
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 10:45 PM

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race

2008-08-19 6:37 AM
in reply to: #1612494

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race
Way to keep at it Peggy under some tough conditions.  You wanted to stop but you just kept at it - that's what it is all about.   No offense taken about the not talking part.  I think we all get into some kind of zone when we're just trying to keep moving to reach that finish line.  Congrats and good job.
2008-08-19 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Hey Peggy - great work persevering out there. Really good job on the swim and bike. And, a gutsy finish there.
2008-08-19 6:53 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Hey good job   Awesome to keep going when you really would rather not

You reminded me of a shirt I saw it said " on race days"  hee hee

2008-08-19 6:54 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
OK- thats suppose to say "biotch on race days "  if you didnt get that
2008-08-19 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past

Sista, you made the Donkey Nation very proud on Sunday, solid swim and bike legs and a gutsy run performance!

Yes, you put the "don't talk to me, suckas" smack down on me and Clint, and yes we were hurt and felt sorry for ourselves...for awhile () but when we finally had the guts to talk to one another again (in whispers so as not to imply a desire for conversation with you), we both were in awe and respectful of your mental toughness. As we watched for you, we both kept repeating - "no way Peggy shut it down, she's comin', she'll be here, and so it was! The run conditions were tough (and were only getting tougher and the temps increased) and, stuborn like a good donkey, you pushed yourself through to the end. Congrats. Check this one off your list.

2008-08-19 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

GREAT JOB PEGGY!!! You should be proud of yourself...like the others said, you did it, you finished, and now you can cross it off your list.  I think I may have seen you on the run, but I was too afraid to yell out anything since my oblique was screaming, "WHAT THE SH*%^#% are you doing to me??" And that would have only made  it more mad....funny thing is, I said to myself, "Good job Peggy (not Peg)", and when I saw you pushing through, it made me keep going, so I owe you a thank you for that.

Great job...as always, wonderful to see you...

2008-08-19 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI

Truly inspiring!  Way to finish even though everything in your body was telling you to stop.  Proud and honored to be there for you at the finish.  Keep the great attitude and keep training. 

2008-08-19 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Nicely done!  Nicely done indeed.  You gutted it out and finished.  Mucho props and respect my friend. 
2008-08-19 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
Awesome Job, PEGGY!!
It's Determination.....not biotch!!

2008-08-19 8:58 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Great job Peggy!! Way to finish strong!!

2008-08-19 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI

Nice job out there donkey!  That run was getting very hot!

Next year I'm sure that they'll have the other half of the bike course open so that should spread things out quite a bit but you're right, that was really was pretty nasty out there in terms of idiot allowance.  What's with people anyway?  I will confess that I passed on the right quite a few times but that was the only way.  Otherwise I would have had to cross all the way over into the oncoming traffic lane to do it so what's a donkey to do.

Anyway, great job gutting it out!  Enjoy some rest!

2008-08-19 10:20 AM

User image

Regular
Northbrook, IL
Great meeting you at the swim start, Peggy..the race you ran on Sunday exemplifies what this sport is all about (IMO): persevering when your body screams "stop", taking joy in the little gifts of the course along the way, laughing at the inevitable obstacles and miscues, and enjoying the comraderie of good people who wish you the best. Awesome, awesome job. Hope to see you at upcoming events. Great RR.
2008-08-19 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Another Olympic under your belt, sorry I wasn't at the finish to celebrate this one with you!
2008-08-19 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Great job, Peggy! 

2008-08-19 2:49 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Alright, PJ!!!!  I know that the run is not your forte, but you did it!!!  You have graduated to the next level!  I'm proud of you! *HUGS*

2008-08-20 6:52 AM

User image

Expert
London, UK

Great race Donk. Maybe the guy with the Aero hat and race wheels was a Brit

And AmyJo is SUCH  a pain with her stupid towels. I hear you on that one

2008-08-26 7:28 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Hey Peggy - was out of town and just saw this rr. Great job there rockmama! Wow! Your bike speed looks awesome and I can totally relate to the run being one of the last in on my oly. But the important thing is stick-to-it-ness. Way to go!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Race Rss Feed